Asylum Forums Pages (73): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » ... Last »
Show all 1824 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Asylum Book Club (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=21)
-- What are you reading? (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=21356)

Posted by Rav on 03-21-2002 11:55 PM:

Question What are you reading?

I'm currently half way through Vol IV of the Flashman Papers - Flashman At The Charge by George MacDonald Fraser.

Posted by Rav on 03-22-2002 12:02 AM:

*silly me*

Posted by Nutrimentia on 03-22-2002 01:01 AM:

Posted by Goatboy on 03-22-2002 01:13 AM:

On a Beam of Light - Gene Brewer (KPax sequel)

Legend of Bagger Vance and Tides of War both by Stephen Pressfield (read Gates of Fire by this man - exilent)

Arbeit Macht Frei

Posted by WastedPotential on 03-22-2002 01:50 AM:

still chugging through Balkan Ghosts - Robert D. Kaplan.
that and the espanol textbook, as well as my bilingual edition of Martin Fierro.

Up next is some book on irish revolution that i brought with me for some reason. it's a textbook of sorts.

pow.

Posted by Roshigoth on 03-22-2002 03:19 AM:

The Collapse of Evolution by Scott M. Huse
Darwin's God by Cornelius G. Hunter

They're a couple creationist books I'm reading for my Origins class. They're full of a whole bunch of bad science (some of which is relatively obvious in Huse's case) that they try to pass off as evidence that evolution is false and Creationism is true. It's... amusing, except I've got to write a paper in response to the Hunter book.

Posted by raginghobo on 03-22-2002 03:21 AM:

Watership Down by Richard Adams, this is such a fucking rich piece of fantasy writing the mind boggles.

Posted by Fiend on 03-22-2002 04:16 AM:

A Martha Grimes book. She is a limey so it's me reading while i have to read it in my head with an accent and the inflection in which they speak. Luckily i have met enough of you to understand, and that dry wit is my humor of choice.

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Posted by The Buried Life on 03-22-2002 04:52 AM:

The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower pt. II) by STephen King. One of the coolest books ever.

Posted by buddha's penis on 03-22-2002 05:35 AM:

lolita, by vladimir nabokov.
(insert goatboy joke here)

Posted by DevilMoon on 03-22-2002 06:16 AM:

I just read Trading With the Enemy - Seduction and Betrayal on Jim Cramer's Wall Street by Nicolas W. Maier

Also a bit of CIA, Inc: Espionage & the Craft of Business Intelligence by F. W. Rustmann Jr. So far its kind of boring and hasn't told me anything new.

I am reading Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg as well. I used to subscribe to the now defunct Brill's Content, for some reason the media and the editorial process kind of fascinates me, so this book is interesting in parts, obvious in others.

I am also reading a few white papers with titles like "GIS in Disaster Management".

D

Posted by karen on 03-22-2002 07:29 PM:

The Life of Elizabeth I (yet another liz biography. Ive read probably hundreds)

Ghosts of Tidewater and surrounding environs

Sense and Sensibility (Rereading for Bunkum. She quizzed me last time. hooker.)

Posted by pj on 03-23-2002 09:59 AM:

Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden. this book is hilarious because of the fact that it was a comedy of errors. the fact that it actually heppened makes one cringe. and glad that im not going to be eligable for the u.s.army. delta force are ok, but the army, nahhh!!!!!

oh yeah, and a buch of other books for my dissertation.

Whatever.

Posted by Kayla on 03-24-2002 09:46 PM:

i know this much is true - Wally Lamb

thanks to caff im reading A LOT. i just read 4 novels in less than a month.

Posted by Caffeine on 03-25-2002 06:17 AM:

thank chelle for that last one, she was all "oh sistah, oprah told me bout this book, this book it was called this much is..." etc etc.
so I was all "cha-ching" buy buy.

Posted by buddha's penis on 03-25-2002 06:50 AM:

i read that wally lamb book myself. it wasn't bad. sadly, it set an unreachable goal for any other "oprah's book club" selection i was to happen upon afterwards. the goal of not being bad.
i'm still reading lolita.

Posted by Kayla on 03-25-2002 11:43 AM:

Thank J00 chelle! I haven't started it yet. I keep picking it up, sitting on the couch, and doing something else! GAHHHH!

Posted by Caffeine on 03-25-2002 03:51 PM:

More train trips are in order.

Posted by buddha's penis on 03-25-2002 05:19 PM:

you go, girlfriend.

Posted by oxsan on 04-09-2002 07:55 AM:

I am intrigued by the great variety and literary merit of the books above, You are an above average reading group.

For me:
"Wellington as Military Commander" by Michael Glover
"Paradigms Lost" by John L. Casti
"60 Stories" by Donald Barthelme

Rav, have you read "Quartered Safe Out Here" or "McAuslan Entire" by George MacDonald Fraser? Both good.

DM- I found the same as you that "Bias" often stated the obvious.

Karen- If you are hooked on QE I stories I'd reccommend " A Crown For Elizabeth". It just covers her life in detail up to the time of her coronation but is very well written.

BP- I think that "Lolita" is one hell of a finely crafted book. It makes me want to read some more Nabokov.

Roshigoth--I just finished Darwin's "Voyage of the Beagle" and liked it very much.

Nutrimentia--Godel, Escher, Bach is great stuff.

oxsan

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Posted by buddha's penis on 04-09-2002 08:12 AM:

i agree about godel, escher, etc, but i can never seem to finish non-fiction. why, i do not know.
anyway, yes. lolita was very good. the whole portrait of the european gentleman was pretty damn funny, though maybe a (small) bit unintentional. not all, but a bit.

now i'm reading "beautiful losers", by leonard cohen. it's pulling me along very nicely. great so far. i think poets write good prose, though i don't much like poetry.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 04-09-2002 08:34 AM:

Beautiful Losers is a great book. Not his best, but very good.

Man, was looking for a great quote I recently read by Leonard and can't find it. I thought it was in this interview but apparantly not.

I'm not really reading anything right now for fun (i.e. not for school). A collection of Raymond Carver that I pick out now and again is about it.

Posted by Oracular_Jinx on 04-09-2002 08:49 AM:

Douglas Coupland's Mircoserfs. I stopped reading for a bit. I have been focusing attention elsewhere. At the same time I bought Timothy Findley's Dust to Dust, and Genome by Matt Ridley. I think they're all Canadian. I guess I want to take pride in our culture

Ni! Ni!

Posted by karen on 04-09-2002 08:49 AM:

Reading yet another novel on the life Elizabeth I (called Legacy, by Susan Kay)

Next up, a little change.. the life of Mary, Queen of Scots, and then one on Henry

Posted by Caffeine on 04-09-2002 08:52 AM:

I think one of those I just finished though.
I am sleepy.

The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan
The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
The Stand - Stephen King
Contact - Carl Sagan
The Loved One - Evelyn Waugh
Samuel Johnson's Major Works - Samuel Johnson
Tao of Jeet Kune Do - Bruce Lee
Linux Mandrake in 24 Hours - Witherspoon
Propaganda and the Public Mind - Noam Chomsky
Rogue States - Noam Chomsky
Necessary Illusions - Noam Chomsky