Asylum Forums Pages (17): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » ... Last »
Show all 414 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- The Lost Forum (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- Gaming/Sports: Literary Gaming Once More (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=22505)

Posted by raginghobo on 04-28-2002 05:16 AM:

Literary Gaming Once More

On request, this is a new thread updating the Merc situation. For those who don't know of Mercenary, check the archives.

Merc has ressurected -- it's a little slow still, but it's fun as usual. A select group of diehards are running stuff over there, and the stories are still very good. Paint is living large as usual, I'm in the running, ChipsJr just started doing it again... someone from here (urbanjunkie?) handles a guy named Quivver.

The third campaign is almost over -- the big finale mission this campaign is going to be entitled "The Death Of Leon Berkowitz" and is going to usher in a more anarchic playing field.

I'll update when new things arise.

http://pub84.ezboard.com/bmercenary58486

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 04-28-2002 06:25 AM:

My participation on the last mission SUCKED ASS though. I wasn't really into it, being at home on vacation and generally mucho distracted (with no other players really on the mission, which also contributed to my suckage.

But yeah, it is still going strong. A little slower, but really fun. More of you should play.

Posted by urbanjunkie on 04-28-2002 10:28 PM:

half of me wants to particapte. the other half will let me down.

Posted by ItsJustLogan on 04-29-2002 05:54 AM:

give me the layout of the rules, what goes where, and point me to exactly where i put what. i'm in.

(now cue the ass parade of ditto-heads and commissars and pricks to drown out this faintest threat of commie faggot heretics)

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 04-30-2002 03:54 AM:

This is the initial message Jeff (the guy that runs the thing) sent out to people. I've edited it a lot because a lot of the rules have evolved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi. My name is Jeff. I'm sure most of you know me to some degree. This is a serious e-mail.

Most of you reading this have some involvement in e-wrestling. If you don't, you're reading this because you're a talented writer and I think you might be interested in what I'm doing here, or because someone forwarded this to you. If you're an e-wrestler and you're reading this - you're the type that enjoys the writing aspect of the game, and doesn't give a @#%$ about the whole wrestling dealie. If that's not the case, this isn't for you.

I'm sick of e-wrestling. I'm tired of my writing being constricted by the fact that it's about a wrestler. I want to pretend to be something new. I want to be able to write cooperatively with a talented group of people. But, I don't entirely want to lose the sense of competition.

So, I've created a game. It uses elements from a bunch of different things that no one gives a @#%$ about. It's a writing game. It requires a large amount of cooperation. It is also competitive. Here are the details.

I'm calling it "Mercenary". That's what you'll be playing, if you choose to do so - a gun for hire. Your initial "application" is a brief bio sheet on your mercenary (which I will post next). This gives a basic outline of your character. What he looks like, what his schtick is, his basic personality, things of that sort. Once you've been accepted, you start playing. The background on your mercenary is up to you, but he/she/it will also have to have a "fixer", basically a contact that gets your mercenary jobs. It's your job to come up with a fixer, but the jobs given out by them will be the same for everybody.

That's the vague backdrop. What's more important right now is the actual game. The game revolves around the characters. You need to put thought into yours. Be original. If there's enough interest, I'll be mailing out a bio sheet that should give you some idea what to put in. (included in the next post)

So, how do we play?

It's going to be message board based. There is no set standard for writing your posts. You can use whatever format and length you're comfortable with. Because none of them will be "broadcast on the promo-net", you have freedom to do whatever you want in them.

Once your character has been created, you begin playing. Money is one of the goals in the game. Amass it.

At given intervals, job opportunities will be announced (announced to you all on the boards, and then announced in character to your character by your fixer). Assassination, terrorism, theft, kidnapping, etc. Each job will have it rewards and it's cost. For example:

Assassinate Joe O'Toole - former Senator O'Toole has taken refuge in Cuba. An unidentified contractor wants him killed by any means necessary. ((OOC: Four day RPing period. Maximum of four players.))

They'll be more intricate once we're in the game, I swear.

That is essentially what a job will look like (though slightly more detailed). Money is amassed in a simple way. Everybody starts out with 0 dollars. When missions get posted, a certain amount of mercenaries (you guys) will take whatever job you like (generally between 1-3 jobs are announced per set, usually 2). If 4 people join a mission, the successful completion of that mission will net the winner 4k (that's 1k for every person playing a mission) and the rest (the losers) will walk away empty-handed. 3k for three players, 2k for 2 mercs, 6k for six players, etc etc.

How is it actually played? This given mission has four days of RPing (these days more like 7, actually, and is pretty flexible depending on participation), which starts when the first person "buys the contract". Competition begins. From this point forward you can tell whatever story you want with your character, building up toward the climax of this mission. The best writer will win, but the best writer also has to cooperate with his opponents or partners. Co-posts are a major thing, and so are alternating posts.

What are alternating posts? Well, with multiple mercs going after the same job, it's unbelievable that they wouldn't cross paths. The cardinal rule is that you can *never use another person's character* in your posts without permission. You can have your character react to what someone else's is doing, for instance: [Greg is sitting in the bar, drinking whiskey.] - posted by Greg. In my next post; [Jeff watches Greg drink from the balcony, finger tickling the trigger of his rifle, but never firing.]

That's fine.

What's not is:

[Jeff watches Greg drink from the balcony, finger tickling the trigger of his rifle, but never firing. Instead, he pulls out a knife and hurls it end over end at Greg's back. It find a home between his shoulder blades and kills him.]

That's bad, and you won't be playing my game after that. What DOES work is this:

[Jeff watches Greg drink from the balcony, finger tickling the trigger of his rifle, but never firing. Instead, he pulls out a knife and hurls it end over end at Greg's back.]

And that's where I end my post. Greg picks up the action in his next one..

[A warning cry from his friend Jay alerts Greg, and - screaming like a girl, Greg tumbles to the floor. He rolls onto his back and fires off a round in the direction the knife came from.]

And we go back and forth, until something has been resolved. Cooperation, baby.

At the end of any given roleplay period, I'll decide who completes the mission, and who fails. This will all be posted roleplay style on the board. I'll be in close communication with everyone involved, to best portray your characters actions and reactions. Finally, someone gets the cash, and everyone else loses out.

There will be variations on the basic mission, but we'll explain those as we go along.

Money will be the unofficial ranking system among the assassins, but keep in mind that it is fairly dependent on how participation pans out for a mission. For instance, some of the best mercanaries don't have a lot of money because they choose to take difficult missions filled with really great writers. Invariably, the best man wins a mission but that isn't to say that some really top notch ones don't get eeked out. Alternativly, you could find a bunch of missions that are only taken by shitty writers (not that we really have any, but you know what I mean), and because you put effort and talent into it, you come out on top. But obviously, the challenge and difficulty of winning depends on the participation of everybody else, and thus the ranking system isn't perfect. But I'm sure you'll deal. Besides, sometimes it is more rewarding to take a mission just for the sake of the challenge and so you can affect the storyline than simply going for the bottom line. (this is a massive edit here by Brad so take that all with a grain of salt, Tim can add his thoughts here).

Hopefully, I've made it seem like the game is very open-ended. I'm hardly going to be doing anything at all. You guys create pretty much everything. I just provide supporting characters, and tie everything together. The game progresses as quickly or as slowly as you want it, as you never HAVE to take a mission.

If you've read this far, thanks. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten some details, and if so - email me with your questions and suggestions. My goal here is to have fun with a great group of writers and expand some horizons.

Thanks for reading,
-Jeff

That's the basics, but it really sounds a lot more complex than it is. I'll link a very basic mission or two so you can get the idea. My suggestion is to read a mission or two before starting, just to get a feel for it. Any specific questions, feel free to ask. Maybe the three best active players right now are Raginghobo, myself, and CHiPsJr, so we're pretty qualified to speak to it.

What follows is the basic Bio sheet. This is what you would fill out when you come up with a mercenary character and send to Jeff so you can start playing.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 04-30-2002 03:59 AM:

THE BIO!

Feel free to add anything anywhere you feel is necessary.

HANDLER INFORMATION:

Name:

E-Mail:

AIM (for some reason every the standard merc IM is AIM. No clue why. If you don't have it that's okay, but I'd suggest you get one if you start getting into it (Got that antisocialrat?)):

YOUR MERCENARY:

Name, Alias, Nicknames:

Physical Data: (What s/he looks like, how they move, how they talk, etc)

Emotional Profile: (How they act)

Background: (Why they act that way - not too much here, save it for the roleplays)

Weapon(s) of Choice:

You have twenty-eight points. Divide them among the following attributes. A rating of seven is your average human. A rating above 10 is considered superhuman, and no one says you can't be that way. These won't directly affect the game, they're for my use, and to give your fellow players an idea.

POWER: (Strength, stamina, endurance)

GRACE: (Speed, agility, stealth)

INTELLIGENCE: (Smarts, wit, cunning)

SKILL: (Everything mercenary - guns, tools, fighting - whatever fits your mold)

That's it, mail me back, hope you have fun.

-Jeff

His e-mail addy is CorruptJeff@aol.com. If you want thoughts on your bio you can just post it here and I'm sure we'll comment, but that's where you send it if you want to play.

I'll post once more answering your final question:

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 04-30-2002 04:26 AM:

I just posted a long ass thing taking you through what goes where on the forums, but fucking EZboard pop-ups killed me and all was lost. I really need to go to Jeff and propose he get hosted by Dingle.

Anyway, if you have further questions, feel free to ask. I am not going to be arsed to type all that up again.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 04-30-2002 03:05 PM:

Yes! Get him hosted and get that ezboard archived ffs. that shit is too good to lose...

I still think about this from time to time. I have a bio, just have to wait for time and a campaign. I really doubt I could be enjoyable to read though.

Get on WP. He might be good.

The Law of Fives is never wrong. CzEch yerself b4 joo rEck yerself. Hi-yo!

Posted by ItsJustLogan on 04-30-2002 11:26 PM:

what's with this handler bit? is this another person playing the game we're going through? or do the Email and AIM fields not actually go under the heading of Handler Information?

(now cue the ass parade of ditto-heads and commissars and pricks to drown out this faintest threat of commie faggot heretics)

Posted by raginghobo on 05-01-2002 03:32 AM:

The "handler" would be the term for the person who writes the mercenary.

Your name, AIM, e-mail.

Below is the stuff about the merc himself.

Posted by raginghobo on 05-04-2002 08:21 PM:

I think www.badplace.tk will redirect you to the merc board too, if you can't remember the EZboard URL

Posted by raginghobo on 05-15-2002 04:45 AM:

Okay, holy Jesus, the finale for this season was just unreal. We're finished our third story arc, Merc is ten months old (!) and we're starting out on a MASSIVE recruitment drive, because there's going to be a lot of turnover after a bunch of Mercs got killed on this last mission, either that or their handlers are phasing them out for new ones. There's not that many originals left, and the majority of mercs are new since the restart, so there will NEVER be a better time to jump in.

Posted by Feral Automaton on 05-15-2002 05:14 AM:

arrow...

Can I play?

Posted by Feral Automaton on 05-15-2002 05:19 AM:

Oh. And Mr. CHiPS mentioned posting some missions worth reading...

Is that still possible?

I'm not sure how much time I've got, although it looks pretty cool

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 05-16-2002 10:33 PM:

Yes you can play, and I might if I get a chance.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 05-16-2002 11:12 PM:

I'm giving a go at trying my hand at a new merc character. Check it out.

HANDLER INFORMATION:

Name: Brad

E-Mail:

AIM: Arranger771

YOUR MERCENARY:

Name, Alias, Nicknames: Luke “No Nickname” Veneti. As the nickname might suggest, he has none, which annoys him because he’d really like one.

Physical Data: (What s/he looks like, how they move, how they talk, etc): If he did have a nickname it would probably relate to this: Luke is 6 foot 4 and weighs somewhere in the vicinity of 400 pounds. That’s right, 400. He’s a large obese man. Like, Orca fat. This isn’t muscle either. Well, most of it isn’t anyway.

He shaves his head, sports a clean cut goatee and speaks in a low bass voice. Generally he wears shiny suits that have to be tailor made for him, like the kind of suits you only see Italian mobsters in bad movies wear.

Emotional Profile: (How they act): Luke is somewhat of a paradox. He is mean, gruff, and something of an asshole on the job, but personally he can be a very patient and kind man, although he never thinks of anybody but himself. Like, ever. Which doesn’t mean he’s a terrible person to be around off the job, just that he is always his own bottom line. He also happens to be a recovering alcoholic who is incredibly active in AA and NA, to a degree that is more than a little weird. Much of his life is centered around his own recovery.

Background: (Why they act that way - not too much here, save it for the roleplays): He’s been sober for 8 years now, which you will find out after not too far into any conversation with him. He is, unfortunatly, what AA people refer to as a “dry drunk”. Still, he goes to five or six meetings a week if he can. He has a sponsor who is the only person alive that he seems to respect, and he tells him everything. He has been divorced for 12 years but still speaks to his ex-wife and his estranged kids (both adults, one son one daughter) occassionaly. He is an “enforcer” for a gang in Kansas City. Basically he’s the guy that breaks your knees if you don’t pay the gang back on time; he’s the 300 pound gorilla they send after you, though not, until recently, an assassin. He also has absolutly no sense of humor.

Weapon(s) of Choice: He carries with him most everywhere a sawed-off pool cue and a nickel-plated .32.

You have twenty-eight points. Divide them among the following attributes. A rating of seven is your average human. A rating above 10 is considered superhuman, and no one says you can't be that way. These won't directly affect the game, they're for my use, and to give your fellow players an idea.

GRACE: (Speed, agility, stealth): 1. There are two things that Luke does not do: Run and jump. Like, ever. He’s a gigantic fat man. He doesn’t really hide, he can’t really be inconspicuous, and he can’t move around very well. At all. It takes a significant amount of effort for him to do things as simple as getting out of a car. He has problems with things like, say, stairs.

POWER: (Strength, stamina, endurance): 10. If he gets his hands on you, he’ll fucking crush you. He has no stamina and endurance, and when he does pretty much everything he soaks himself in sweat. Usually when you see him he has rings of wet around his armpits and neck (or rather, chins). But don’t let that fool you: if you are unlucky enough to find yourself toe to toe with Luke, he will likely bend you in two. He can also take more of a beating than most anyone. He’s not invincible or anything, he just has 400 pounds of insulation working in his favor. He is the fabled immovable object.

INTELLIGENCE: (Smarts, wit, cunning): 8. Despite his looks, he is a fairly bright guy. Nothing special, but no dummy either. Most of his reading and intellectual interests, however are fairly well focused around self-help and beating people up for money.

SKILL: (Everything mercenary - guns, tools, fighting - whatever fits your mold): 9. But with Luke that’s hard to rate. He can’t really go undercover, and he’s so large that he wouldn’t be able to even catch the flu, but when you need hired muscle, nothing says “bitch better have my money” better than Luke Veneti walking into a room with his pool cue.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and a big fucking fat man to beat up the guys that owe me money.

Fat people rule.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 05-17-2002 01:57 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Feral Automaton
Oh. And Mr. CHiPS mentioned posting some missions worth reading...

Is that still possible?

I'm not sure how much time I've got, although it looks pretty cool

Okay, I'm not going to hyperlink every post, but try this one:

(edit: oops, nevermind this for now, in light of this. I'll post another example)

Codename: OZ
Buy the Contract: 1K
Payoff: 4K
Mercenaries: Unlimited
Days of RPing: 6
Freelancers: No

Leon's Briefing: "A former school bus driver touched our employer's little boy in the naughty place until he croaked. Now, daddy wants to avenge Billy's soul, and twenty years in the state penn isn't enough. You're to infiltrate Colorado's State penitentiary - without blowing any walls down, mind you - and knock this fucker off. "

Important Info: How the mercenary gets into the prison is up to the player. Be original.
The prison is populated by the lowest criminal element. There are some serious men in here, possibly some former mercs. The fleshing out of the prison environment will be left to the players.
Below is data on the bus-driver. The inmates call him "Needledick". Feel free to use him in roleplays, but remember, you cannot complete the hit yourself. That's left to me.

Name, Alias, Nicknames: Needledick.

Physical Data: He is a thin man, further diminished by the justice system. He's starving in here, and it shows in his ribs and back. He has red hair, freckles, and vacant green eyes. He usually is bruised in one place or another from an assault by his block-mates. He is not in good shape, but he still manages to seem dangerous.

Emotional Profile: Solitary confinement and constant abuse have worn him down to nothing. He's mad.

Background: Jailed for multiple counts of child abuse, rape, and finally murder - he was picked on in his first weeks in CSP. He then used a broken prong from a mess hall fork to murder his cellmate. Since then, the harassment has stopped, but only because he's been transferred to solitary.

Weapon(s) of Choice: Whatever is available.

POWER: 6

GRACE: 9

INTELLIGENCE: 3

SKILL: 7

That was the briefing. All the rest stemmed from there.

http://pub84.ezboard.com/fmercenary58486frm6?page=9
http://pub84.ezboard.com/fmercenary58486frm6?page=8
http://pub84.ezboard.com/fmercenary58486frm6?page=7
http://pub84.ezboard.com/fmercenary58486frm6?page=6

Try reading the mission OZ (there were three missions at once, people earmarked which they were posting for by going OZ: Title, so it's clearly marked). This was the first mission of merc, and sort of a template. I also link it because I think you'd really get a kick out of Null, he reminded me a lot of you (so pay attention to the posts by Null). CHiPsJr and raginghobo were on that mission as well, I was not (I hadn't joined yet, The Brat was my first mission and you can see it on that last page). If you want to read a shorter mission, go to those same linked pages and read Yosemite, the first mission I read. Gives you a good idea. You can see the jump to box on the bottom if you want to look around elsewhere. Ask any questions you like. You'd be kick ass at this Feral, and you see how into it everybody who plays it is (seeing as how we ramble on about it all the time).

It is a long read though, lots of stuff.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 05-17-2002 02:03 AM:

Try this mission as well. There is some history there that you won't get but that doesn't matter, you pick up on it. This also marks the first merc celebrity cameo (I had Bono in it).

Codename: HUMAN CHESS
Buy the Contract: 1K
Payoff: 7K
Mercenaries: Unlimited.
Days of RPing: 6
Freelancers: No.

Leon's Briefing: It seems that Mohaim is coming to our country - where you won't get swamp ass walking down the street - in order to break up some kind of international deal. Blah blah - who gives a @#%$. We have a job from an interested third party that would like Mohaim kidnapped. Now, we don't know where the guy is staying, but we do know where the meeting is taking place. That's where you have to lift the little towel head.

OOC Info: Suggested Reading: The Desert Church series and this very post.
Important Characters: Mohaim Tiamat Jr, Patriot Stark, Patriot Boucher, Short and Tall.
What the Mercs know is that they have to kidnap Tiamat. They probably won't be able to find him before the deal. The deal is set to take place at a Pizza Pit in Manhattan. Oh the irony.
What the Mercs don't know: The deal is between the Patriots and Short/Tall for the atomic suitcase bomb thing. Patriot Stark, Boucher, and some others will be on hand. As will Short/Tall. As will Mohaim and six elite members of the young Jihad. They are walking into a powder keg. I will be RPing Stark, although you are welcome to use him as long as you stay in character. Feel free to use Mohaim and Boucher in the same capacity. Also, give life to any of the other characters that you want.
Ben will be RPing Short/Tall. Under no circumstances are you to RP them without his permission.
Leon is very sick with the Agent Q virus and will be available only via phone this week.
Ask questions and have fun with this.

http://pub84.ezboard.com/fmercenary58486frm1?page=11

Start on that and just go backwords (to page 10, then 9, etc).

I don't know, Tim? Can you think of any good ones not in Campaign One (the archives are fuXored there) that I should link? Human Chess has an awful lot of backstory stuff.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 05-17-2002 02:04 AM:

An urbanjunkie should play again. He was good at it.

You all should try playing! It is fun and great for your writing (really fucking helpful, particularly for kick-starting motivation and discipline)(though not, apparantly, with uj )

Posted by raginghobo on 05-17-2002 10:35 PM:

I SUCKED in Oz. Took me a long time to get my head around the character.

This campaign, the finale was the best -- but all of them were very involved, as far as character-specific backstory.

Posted by CHiPsJr on 05-19-2002 08:30 PM:

Top.

What RH said bears repeating. A big membership drive is being solicited by the game master, and this is the time to get in on the action.

Posted by urbanjunkie on 05-20-2002 02:17 AM:

i honestly don’t think my style of writing is good for the game. basically because i suck at descriptive narrative - which is way important in merc.

some of you guys are fucking good. i mean, real good.

yes, my 'style' is different because of the perspective I have chosen my character to take – but this can also be perceived as simply lazy writing.

i haven’t stopped reading the site though.

Posted by raginghobo on 05-20-2002 02:18 AM:

AWARDS: feel free to vote.

Three campaigns. Over thirty merceanries. Starring in porn movies. Chasing cats around castles. Travelling back in time. Blowing up half the landscape.

A lot's happened over the past nine months. This is that part where we sit around the metaphorical campfire and remember the best parts of Merc so far.

The following are the categories for nomination. Simply put the Merc you think should win, and why. When no more nominations come in I'll send out a voting form, and maybe write up a whole mock-awards ceramony. Why not? It'll be fun.

1. Best Character in a Heroic Role

2. Best Character in a Villainous Role

3. Best Character in a Supporting Role

4. Best Character in a Fixing Role

5. Best Potential

6. Best Role-Play

7. Best Fly on the Wall

8. Best Quote

9. Best Action Scene

10. Best Team-Up

11. Best Handler

12. Mercenary Hall of Fame

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 05-20-2002 02:19 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by urbanjunkie
half of me wants to particapte. the other half will let me down.

And what about the other third??

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 05-20-2002 07:19 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by urbanjunkie
i honestly don’t think my style of writing is good for the game. basically because i suck at descriptive narrative - which is way important in merc.

some of you guys are fucking good. i mean, real good.

yes, my 'style' is different because of the perspective I have chosen my character to take – but this can also be perceived as simply lazy writing.

i haven’t stopped reading the site though.

I think that's bullshit. On the one mission you took, you were wholly competitive at worst, and got robbed of an obvious win at best (that's what I think anyway).

Trust me, style of writing means little. The most abberant writer in all of merc (Null) has, only in participating in one mission, achieved Redguard status there. And Nap and I have almost polar opposite styles and are still two of the top faces.

You should do it again.