Asylum Forums
Show all 15 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- The Lost Forum (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- Limey humor (sorry... humour) (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=22749)

Posted by wonderaz on 05-05-2002 08:05 PM:

Limey humor (sorry... humour)

LONDON (Reuters) - Prince Philip has put his foot in it again -- with a joke about dogs and anorexics.

Queen Elizabeth's blunt-talking husband is renowned for gaffes that have caused blushes around the world from China to Australia.

And he hit the headlines again on Friday for all the wrong reasons after accompanying the monarch on a round Britain tour to celebrate 50 years on the throne.

Speaking to the blind Susan Edwards, wheelchair bound and accompanied by her guide dog, he remarked: "Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?"

Asked for her reaction after their brief encounter outside Exeter Cathedral in western England on Thursday, Edwards said: "It sounds like he was saying something terrible -- but he was just making a joke."

But Doreen Williams of the Anorexia and Bulimia Care organization was not amused. She called his comments "hurtful and unhelpful. I was quite stunned when I heard."

Reporters covering Prince Philip on royal tours keep their ears pricked for blunt off-the-cuff quips that often turn into diplomatic incidents.

Earlier this year on a trip to Australia, the prince asked Aborigines if they still threw spears at each other.

On another trip to Australia in 1998, he asked a student who had just returned from a walking tour in Papua New Guinea: "You managed not to get eaten then?"

But perhaps his most famous foreign faux pas came in China in 1986. He told British students: "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed."

So on that note, a leper should have a golden retriever as an assist dog?

Posted by Cold on 05-05-2002 08:22 PM:

I'm trying to figure out if his sense of humour is either really good or just really dumb. Its hard to decide, but I'm slowly leaning towards dumb.

I'd only scare you my dear.

Posted by swingfly on 05-05-2002 09:35 PM:

This was so funny (in an almost horrifying way) I couldn't stop laughing:

quote:
Speaking to the blind Susan Edwards, wheelchair bound and accompanied by her guide dog, he remarked: "Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?"

You can't help but wonder if he topped that with saying "So anyway wheelie, see you later" instead of a more normal, boring yet inoffensive "Goodbye".

Posted by slight on 05-05-2002 09:43 PM:

He is just saying to the world - "Look, just because you think a man in my position should act like he has a stick up his arse, doesnt mean i'm going to act that way." The cripples and Aboriginees that I know would probably find his comment amusing.

Posted by morgana on 05-05-2002 09:46 PM:

ditto.

generated by sloganizer.net

Posted by Vegas on 05-05-2002 10:12 PM:

This guy is sick, twisted, and funny. He fucking rules!

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Posted by philjit on 05-05-2002 10:12 PM:

errr you do know that Prince Philip is greek right?

Posted by pj on 05-05-2002 10:14 PM:

yeah his humour is like urbanjunkies...........

Whatever.

Posted by philjit on 05-05-2002 10:16 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by pj
yeah his humour is like urbanjunkies...........

i thought uj was cypriot?

Posted by slight on 05-05-2002 10:20 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Phil
errr you do know that Prince Philip is greek right?
You mean 'Liz has been getting it up the shitter all these years and I never knew!

Posted by philjit on 05-05-2002 10:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by slight
You mean 'Liz has been getting it up the shitter all these years and I never knew!

she's German you know!

Posted by slight on 05-05-2002 10:24 PM:

well, then at least she's enjoying it.

Posted by philjit on 05-05-2002 10:27 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by slight
well, then at least she's enjoying it.

this is true.

Posted by Dingle on 05-05-2002 10:35 PM:

Doreen Williams of the Anorexia and Bulimia Care organization was not amused. She called his comments "hurtful and unhelpful. I was quite stunned when I heard."

oh give me a fucking break

Posted by philjit on 05-05-2002 10:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dingle
oh give me a fucking break

Have a kitkat