Asylum Forums Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »
Show all 85 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- The Lost Forum (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- Any takers? (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=29093)

Posted by geaeslore on 04-01-2003 07:20 PM:

Any takers?

I watch alot of damn smart people post on this forum, talented in many areas. Often they engage in playful debate, meaningless babble, humorous wordplay, etc . . .

I was just wondering how interesting it would be if members of this here forum pooled knowledge to work on some sort of project of mutual interest perhaps even using the forum as a means of communication and suppository of knowledge for whole dang thing. Don't get me wrong, what I'm thinking is not a business type (i.e. money driven) venture so much as a research type project, cause well it's always nice to have research partners .I don't have anything in mind myself at this time but I was just kinda wondering what folks would think of something like that . . .

hmmm . . . maybe I should make this a poll?

Posted by Mugtoe on 04-01-2003 07:22 PM:

Like an Asylum think tank?

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
The brotherhood of melon loving will save us all, I am sure of it.

Posted by geaeslore on 04-01-2003 07:22 PM:

yes

Posted by mmmtravis on 04-01-2003 07:26 PM:

I think we should start a magazine. And not just an e-zine, those things don't work. I mean a tangible, rippable, edible magazine.

I got dibbs on the editorial column to be placed on the last page... and on all the interviews with Jessica Alba.

picture unrelated

Posted by Mordecai on 04-01-2003 07:31 PM:

Asylum Magazine for Inmates?

-m

Posted by missphinx on 04-01-2003 07:37 PM:

I volunteer not to be in charge of the printing budget or distribution administration!

ARGH sorry nightmares from past lives ARGH

Okay think tank, what to think about?

Posted by Aydin on 04-01-2003 07:39 PM:

We could find a cure for homosexuality. It would take lots of intensive research, but it's a worthy cause, no?

Posted by mmmtravis on 04-01-2003 07:40 PM:

Heh, we are going to have 400 people offering to make the official website, 36 who want to be in charge of the rape haiku section, 19 who want to do the graphic design for the cover, and ZERO who want to be copy editors.

picture unrelated

Posted by mmmtravis on 04-01-2003 07:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Aydin
We could find a cure for homosexuality. It would take lots of intensive research, but it's a worthy cause, no?

I believe they already found a cure out in Wyoming or Utah or whatever. Just ask Matthew Sheppard.

picture unrelated

Posted by Aydin on 04-01-2003 07:48 PM:

I'll pretend you didn't type that and that I didn't read it.

Posted by Dingle on 04-01-2003 07:48 PM:

let's figure out the P vs NP problem and claim the $million, that can fund the magazine

Posted by geaeslore on 04-01-2003 07:50 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by missphinx
I Okay think tank, what to think about?

Well we could do lots of stuff, sort of break it out by categories that we have enough interested folks in.

For example we have alot of computer folk that might be interested in trying their hands at maybe something along the lines of designing a completely new computer architecture cause we all know this x86 stuff can only go so far . . .

Then maybe those of us interested in more theoretical sciencey type stuff could do some research into data encryption maybe

Then some of the more less scietifiaclly oriented types could do whatever it is they do for research. I won't insult them as to hazard a guess since my knowledge base in this area is far to small to even support such a simple action.

Posted by geaeslore on 04-01-2003 07:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dingle
let's figure out the P vs NP problem and claim the $million, that can fund the magazine

Dingle I LOVE YOU!!!!

That's a fucken fabulous idea!

does the magazine to which you refer have a particular problem statement and if so would you be so kind as to post a link?

Posted by missphinx on 04-01-2003 07:56 PM:

GO FOR IT GEASLORE!

Why stop at one? Do all seven!!!

YAY!

http://www.claymath.org/

Posted by geaeslore on 04-01-2003 07:57 PM:

well I would need the assistance of at least Smug and likely others, but I have no idea who else would be interested/capable of assisting in such a persuit.

Posted by mmmtravis on 04-01-2003 07:58 PM:

We should have some sort of mini-election, figure out who the best and most exciting candidate for U.S. President would be, and then put all our efforts into getting him/her/Mug elected.

picture unrelated

Posted by Mordecai on 04-01-2003 08:01 PM:

Smug in 2004?

-m

Posted by quins on 04-01-2003 08:01 PM:

I'll whip up a batch of man-juice and you can use that to bind the pages together.

*cums*

There's a start

The large print giveth, the small print taketh away.

Posted by Aydin on 04-01-2003 08:14 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by mmmsivart
and ZERO who want to be copy editors.

I'll be copy editor. You people have rotten spelling and grammar. Especially you limeys: all those superfluous letters.

Posted by Aydin on 04-01-2003 08:15 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mordecai
Smug in 2004?

-m

He's foreign. We'll have to amend the Constitution first.

Posted by Cage on 04-01-2003 08:20 PM:

quote:
He's foreign. We'll have to amend the Constitution first.

Bush outlawed the Constitution 12 days ago. Pay attention.

I don't get paid enough for this shit.

Posted by geaeslore on 04-01-2003 08:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Cage
Bush outlawed the Constitution 12 days ago. Pay attention.

WTF!?

I think I would tend to disagree with that, but will not argue it in this thread.

Posted by Smug Git on 04-01-2003 08:25 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by geaeslore
does the magazine to which you refer have a particular problem statement and if so would you be so kind as to post a link?

This is the central problem of complexity theory, in fact.

Problems in P are those which can be solved with a number of steps which is polynomial in the input length. NP are those problems for which possible solutions can be checked with a number of steps that is polynomial in the input length. The question is whether P=NP, ie, are there problems where you can check the solution with steps polynomial in input length but for which you can't generate solutions with steps polynomial in input length (in which case P!=NP) or is it the case that you can always solve with a number of steps polynomial in input length any problem for which you can test solutions with a number of step that is polynomial in input length (in which case P=NP).

Factorisation is a well known problem that is NP (given a large number and two prime numbers (or more) believed to be all of the factors of that large number, I can easily check whether or not they are genuine solutions. It has not been proved that there isn't an algorithm to factorise numbers, though, with a number of steps that is polynomial in input length; if it is ever proven that such an algorithm can't exist, then, indeed, P!=NP and quantum computing will be even more important to the military).

As an aside, there are a class of problems called 'NP-complete', which includes the Travelling Salesman problem (TSP) where it has been shown that if you can solve one then you can use that algorithm to solve all the rest of the NP-complete problems.

A good (but techinical) book on all of this stuff is by Papadimitriou, called something exciting like 'Complexity Theory'). I have only read a couple of chapters, but it is a good book and deals a lot with the P/NP problem, which is a real bitch of a problem.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by Aydin on 04-01-2003 08:26 PM:

In times of war we have to support the president no matter what.

Posted by missphinx on 04-01-2003 08:31 PM:

Thumbs up

quote:
In times of war we have to support the president no matter what.

Here, here!

President Smug, he's our man. Through thick and thin and even maths.

Aydin, you can be vice president.