Asylum Forums
Show all 8 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Sensory Overload (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6)
-- Holy Zep and how the west was won (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=30184)

Posted by Vegas on 06-15-2003 03:07 AM:

Holy Zep and how the west was won

I picked up the new Led Zep live album, "How the West Was Won," a little while ago and finally I've gotten through all 3 CDs. To sum it up: if you like rock n roll, you should buy this album.

The album is a mixture of two shows from June in 1972 at the LA Forum and the Long Beach Arena. To this point I'd have to say Led Zep had not released a definitive live album, one that truly captures themselves on stage as they were meant to be heard. Most of the bootlegs I have are better than "The Song Remains the Same" and "BBC Sessions." This is what I've been waiting for.

As one might expect, there are two constant driving forces behind these shows that is not found as abundantly on any of Zep's studio releases, being Jimmy Page's insane guitar work and the thunderous barrage of drumming thanks to John Bonham. This is the type of record that shows how talented both members really were. Guitar solos are plentiful, jam sessions are constant, songs reach 20 minutes and more (including a "straight up" version of "Moby Dick"), and the mixture of songs probably could not be much better for the time period.

Most of the material is from the band's second, third, and fourth records, with hints of the future on "The Ocean," "Dancing Days," and "Over the Hills and Far Away," from "Houses of the Holy," are on the album, as well as a tidbit of "The Crunge" during the epic "Dazed and Confused." I'm disappointed that not a single track from the first album is on here besides "Dazed." I'd have loved it if "Celebration Day" or "Out on the Tiles" had been included as well. All in all, it will probably be played way too many times. Thank god for this album.

CD #1
LA Drone (introduction
Immigrant Song
Heartbreaker
Black Dog
Over the Hills and Far Away
Since I've Been Loving You
Stairway to Heaven
Going to California
That's the Way
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

CD #2
Dazed and Confused (medley with "Walter's Walk" and "The Crunge")
What is and What Should Never Be
Dancing Days
Moby Dick

CD #3
Whole Lotta Love (medley with "Boogie Chillun," "Let's Have a Party," "Hello Marylou," and "Going Down Slow")
Rock and Roll
The Ocean
Bring it on Home (medley with "Bring it on Back")

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Posted by skalie on 06-15-2003 03:24 AM:

Or, alternatively, if 20 minute live Led Zepp jams from 1972 don't float your boat, get a hold a copy of "Elephant" by the White Stripes.

Then return after 24 hours to thank me.

Posted by Vegas on 06-15-2003 07:40 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by skalie
Or, alternatively, if 20 minute live Led Zepp jams from 1972 don't float your boat, get a hold a copy of "Elephant" by the White Stripes.

Then return after 24 hours to thank me.

This is a joke... right?

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Posted by skalie on 06-15-2003 08:02 PM:

Nope

Posted by DevilMoon on 06-15-2003 08:10 PM:

I think its kind of funny that L.A. Drone is listed as a track with Page and Jones as the writers. Its like 5 seconds of feedback that leads into Immigrant Song.

I also think its kind of funny that Page said in an interview that he used computers to fix some of his notes that weren't right.

Posted by skalie on 06-15-2003 08:19 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by DevilMoon
I also think its kind of funny that Page said in an interview that he used computers to fix some of his notes that weren't right.

That's sad, really fucking sad, as it goes.

Missed picks, dodgy bends, that's all part of it, it was the emotion that he played with that made his guitar playing great.

Sanitising it at a later date only subtracts essense from the recordings.

Boo.

Posted by Vegas on 06-16-2003 01:31 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by skalie
That's sad, really fucking sad, as it goes.

Missed picks, dodgy bends, that's all part of it, it was the emotion that he played with that made his guitar playing great.

Sanitising it at a later date only subtracts essense from the recordings.

Boo.

I think this statement alone explains why most of today's music is garbage.

And the White Stripes are still a cheap imitation of good music.

-m

Posted by buddha's penis on 06-16-2003 03:44 PM:

i HATE rock n roll.