Asylum Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 34 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Sensory Overload (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6)
-- Pride GP (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=30441)

Posted by blank22 on 07-09-2003 07:31 AM:

Pride GP

For the MMA fans:

Pride has announced the opening round pairings. Who are your picks and why?

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Wanderlei Silva

Even though Silva has already defeated Sak twice, I'm still going with Sak by submission in the 2nd round. Seems everyone else is picking Silva by fatality based on their previous fights. Call me crazy, but I feel Sak is the most dangerous man on the ground in this tourney. If he can survive Silva's initial onslaught of striking and take him to the ground, he'll get the sub.

Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Hidehiko Yoshida

First words that came out of mouth when I read this matchup was "work." I see Tamura laying down for Yoshida. I can't really comment on Yoshida because I am very unsure about the legitimacy of his fights with Royce Gracie and Don Frye. Tamura has shown that he simply can not hang with a good striker, so if he by chance actually "wins" this fight, he'll be KO'd by the first striker he fights afterwards.

Quinton Jackson vs. Ricardo Arona

This is either going to be a really awesome fight, or a fucking sleepfest. Arona is a great fighter, but he's not exactly known for pushing the fight. Seems he is more than happy to ride a fight out to a decision, which is pretty much always in his favor. The guy has got serious skills on the ground. Rampage on the other hand is very exciting to watch. I really want him to win, but I feel he will get sloppy and get subbed by Arona in the 2nd round, If Arona doesn't get the sub, he'll get the decision.

Chuck Liddell vs. Alistair Overeem

Should be an awesome fight. Two excellent strikers here. I've got to go with Liddell by KO assuming Chuck shows up to fight. He has fought, and beaten, much better competition than Overeem has. Overeem has shown he knows subs, but keeping Liddell on the ground long enough seems impossible. If Chuck can't get over the beating that Couture gave him and is not mentally prepared, he will lose by decision.

Who will win the whole tournement?

My pick is Sakuraba. No one in this tournament, not to mention anyone under 200lbs in the world, can outclass Sak on the ground. As long as he keeps the showboating to a minumum, and stays focused, he will win this tournament. Then, of course, he will retire.

I must say that I am pissed off Tamura and Yoshida are even in this tourney to begin with. Replace these two with Frank Shamrock and Royce Gracie and you have got the absolute greatest card in MMA history. Of course, Shamrock and Gracie have zero interest in fighting right now, so it was just a pipe dream, lol.

Posted by Deadpool on 07-09-2003 10:33 PM:

I hope Sak will win. There is a possibilty he will win. I don't see him standing up with Vanderlei. the Axe murderers Muay Thai are too much for Sak. Sak will have to take it to the ground. If he can keep Vanderlei on the ground, Sak can sub him no problem.

Regarding Yoshida. I think people do not give hinm enough credit. I think its split with the MMA community wether a couple of his fights were works but at any rate I dont think this fight will be a work. People tend to forget that Yoshida is an Olypic gold medalist so hes not some schmoe. If he beats Tamura he has the possbility of beat the others if he keeps it on the ground. Sure his match with Royce Gracie was controversial, but Royce wasn't exactly doing too well against Yoshida. Even if the ref didn't make that shitty call Royce was going to get tooled at any rate.

I hope Quinton slams and KOs Arona. Arona is such a boring ass fighter. His lay and pray tactics piss me off.

I think Overeem will beat Chuck. Chuck likes to keep it on his feet....or perhaps hes learned his lesson from his loss against Couture. Couture definetly showed the world that Chucks stand up skills are overrated.

Fuck you I wont do what you tell me. -RATM

Posted by opus on 07-20-2003 05:46 AM:

Overeem will beat Liddell.

Silva will demolish Sak yet again.It pains me to type that.

Jackson And Arona.I have no clue.I do know Jackson wont be slammin Arona like he does everyone else.

Yoshida will beat tempura whoever,though i really havent watched Tamura fight,Yoshida is very skilled but not an all round mma guy..

I'd have to say Arona takes the whole thing.I'm just pissed the new lighter Igor wasn't invited.but he only has one fight at his new weight.

Posted by Deadpool on 07-22-2003 08:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by opus

Silva will demolish Sak yet again.It pains me to type that.

No.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-01-2003 11:30 AM:

I want to see Jackson and Silva fight.

THe GP is so hard to predict though, because of the endurance factor. Who knows for sure? It'll be neat to see though.

The Law of Fives is never wrong. CzEch yerself b4 joo rEck yerself. Hi-yo!

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-01-2003 11:32 AM:

Re: Pride GP

quote:
Originally posted by blank22
Replace these two with Frank Shamrock and Royce Gracie and you have got the absolute greatest card in MMA history.

Shamrock belongs out on the dock with Frye and Coleman. GP doesn't translate to "old timers day."

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-01-2003 11:33 AM:

Geez, I just keep padding my post count...

Ninja and Elvis wuold be the two I'd add over Yoshida and Tamura. Maybe Ryan Gracie...

Posted by Deadpool on 08-02-2003 06:09 AM:

OOooooh I wanna see Ryan Gracie VS Yoshida.
Ryan talks too much smack.
Nute I wouldn't call Frank an old timer hes still got the skills.

Posted by blank22 on 08-02-2003 09:17 AM:

Re: Re: Pride GP

quote:
Originally posted by Nutrimentia
Shamrock belongs out on the dock with Frye and Coleman. GP doesn't translate to "old timers day."

You are thinking of the wrong Shamrock. Frank is Ken's younger brother. He was also the number 1 ranked middleweight in the world when he was an active fighter a few years ago.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-02-2003 01:18 PM:

Ah, yes. Last I saw Ken, he was ringside with badass sideburns 3 inches wide. Looked washed up, riding his former popularity with arrogance befitting a Ghacie.

I don't believe I've seen Frank fight.

Oh yeah, Carlos Newton would be a good addition to the GP indeed.

Posted by opus on 08-05-2003 09:33 AM:

Igor,if he was in the gp i would be happy

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-05-2003 09:49 AM:

igor is heavyweight. I wish they'd had heavy and middle weight running at the same time. I want to watch Mirko fuck up some more people.

The middleweight title is on the line here, right?

Posted by opus on 08-06-2003 06:09 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Nutrimentia
igor is heavyweight. I wish they'd had heavy and middle weight running at the same time. I want to watch Mirko fuck up some more people.

The middleweight title is on the line here, right?

igor is down to light heavyweight now,an looks great,im pretty sure its the lhw title in the tourney,also arona is out

http://www.sherdog.com/viewnews.cfm...pEkyAVVEDnMKWut

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-07-2003 05:32 AM:

THat's a bummer abuot arona. I hope they get a good competitor to replace him, but Jackson is gonna win regardless. Jackson/ Newton would be fun, eh? Or how about Pele!!

Yes, Igor is looking good these days. I suspect he will be in the next Pride and do well.

Posted by opus on 08-07-2003 05:58 AM:

Now there saying Bustamante or a Gracie will be taking the spot.Busta could definately hang at that weight,he would be a better choice than Ryan or Renzo

Posted by Deadpool on 08-07-2003 11:10 AM:

Igor belongs in LHW. I think he'll do very well at that weight class, mabe even dominate.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-08-2003 12:43 PM:

Wait a minute! This is the first GP I've seen (I started watching Pride the fight after the last GP). I was under the impression it was a tournament: 8 men, 7 fights, a new class champion. Not so! The news from Sherdog is:

quote:
The deal is that Bustamante will fight Quinton Jackson August 10th and if he wins, hefll be back in November to join the other fighters in the "Final Conflict." The official announcement will be made Friday at the press conference.

That made me pause. Huh? The second round is in a different event? If this isn't a tourney, what else is happening?

A cruise over the www.pridefc.com indicates that the fight card also includes

Emelianko vs Goodridge
Minotauro Nogeira vs Ricco Rodriguez
and

CRO-COP VS IGOR!!!!!

Jesus ratfuck that will be a helluva fight if Igor is as good as he looks these days.

The fight order is as follows:

1. Fedor Emelianenko vs. Gary Goodridge
2. Chuck Liddell vs. Alistair Overeem
3. Ricardo Arona vs. Quinton Jackson
4. Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira vs. Ricco Rodriguez
5. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Igor Vovchanchyn
6. Hidehiko Yoshida vs. Kiyoshi Tamura
7. Wanderlei Silva vs. Kazushi Sakuraba

I'll be watching for sure. I'm not going out to the play by play, but if you are interested in tuning in, check out the details here. I don't have my laptop with me this time either, so I won't be chatting or foruming during the fights. Better off, I suppose, since everything at sherdog thinks I am a retard for bitching about Nog's championship loss.

Posted by opus on 08-09-2003 05:52 AM:

ha Nute i read that whole thing over at the sherdog forum after the last nog fight,they can be quite neanderthalish over there sometimes.

As for the card itself,holy crap i wasnt awre of the 3 other fights,but it just makes the best lineup i ever seen that much better.

If Crocop beats Igor,even a rusty Igor ill be a believer then.He's a great if not the best striker around but when it hits the mat he looks lost.

ricco's a dead greaseball.totally outclassed.

this is without a doubt the best card ever

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-09-2003 10:45 AM:

Yeah, looks great. I've always liked Mirko from when I first saw him in K1, and he has risen to the top of my fave list lately. I used to like Herring a lot, but he's dicked me around with scheduling a phone interview. He is all cool about it unitl the actual scheduling comes up, then quits replying. Either that, or someone is just acting like him using the heathherring at hotmail address.

Cro-cop, Herring, Newton, Pele, Igor, Nog, Rampage... Always great fights. Overreem is really growing on me too. I hope he does well. Goodridge is a funny fucker too.

Hell, to be honest, it is hard to dislike many of these guys. That is one of the great things about this sport. It seems so violent to some, but the sportsmanship and personalities are generally as professional as one could ask for. Of course there are exceptions, but overall....

Can't wait. less than 24 hours....

Posted by Deadpool on 08-09-2003 11:37 PM:

Jackson over Bustamante via Ground and pound. I love Bustamante but I don't know if he can ake Jackson down.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-10-2003 09:20 AM:

Even though it is intermission, I forgot to put my picks in. These are my picks pre-fight and are not spoilers or hindsight.

Fyodor over Goodridge. Goodridge is cool, but I don't think he handle the ground game
Liddel over Overeem I like Overreem, but Liddel is fricking strong
Rampage over Bustamante / Arona Should be good matches, but Rampage's striking will carry him through, assuming he can avoid getting subbed.
Nogiera over Rodriguez I don't know much about Ricco, but Nog is always a safe bet. Well, usually, anyway.
Cro-Cop over Igor I'd like to see Igor pull one out, but my gut says Cro-Cop is the man to beat these days. Either way I'm happy though
Yoshida over Tamura, but who really cares?
Silva over Sak I'd love to see Sak win, but Silva has his card and can punch it anytime he wants. I truly believe that Silva utterly dominates Sakuraba psychologically (he's broken his body every time they fight) and its just too much for Sak to overcome. I don't think Sak really believes he is better. The fight where he busted his shoulder was his best chance.

No Spoilers, but I'll say the fights have been great so far. Last 3 to go!

Posted by opus on 08-11-2003 05:39 AM:

Man i only read a play by play of the event so i really cant come to any conclusions.,.Of all the matches from what i read the one i would like to see [edited for spoilers oops my bad]just to see if that was the right decision cause i find a escape from a submission is worth more than a failed submision attempt

Posted by Nutrimentia on 08-11-2003 08:19 AM:

We need to turn this into a spoilers thread so those of us who want to can talk about it. EVeyone else needs to sign off on it, mmmkay?

Posted by Aydin on 08-12-2003 03:58 PM:

I'm not sure if this is about sumo or a video game.

Posted by opus on 08-13-2003 10:28 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Aydin
I'm not sure if this is about sumo or a video game.
pride fighting championship