Asylum Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 56 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- The Lost Forum (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- One Times Eight is One (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=30445)

Posted by oxsan on 07-09-2003 04:22 PM:

One Times Eight is One

Interesting experience yesterday.
I make crossword puzzles for my kids and friends to work. They are not professionally done but they are fun to try. Yesterday I completed one consisting of eight pages and wanted to send it to a number of people so I went to the nearest convenience store
(20 miles) to make copies. I ran one test copy then twenty copies of eight pages for a total of 161 copies. I went to the girl at the counter to pay. She was a high school graduate and married (at least had a ring on and was a bright little girl and she asked if 161 copies as shown on her counter was correct and I said that it was. She told me that would be $4.71 and I paid her and went to my car. As I walked out of the store I realized that $4.71 could not possibly be correct because one times eight is eight not one and I multiplied in my head and got $12.88. So I went back in the store and told the girl she had undercharged me and that I owed her more money.. She broke down and almost wept and said "But I don't know how to multiply." My remark was "you are standing in front of about a five thousand dollar computer and there is a calculator behind you on the shelf. Don't you know how to use them?" She sobbed that she did not. She said that, "They never taught us to multiply in school". So I told her that the total I owed was $12.88 and to just subtract the $4.71 that I had already paid and I would pay her. She almost shouted "I can't subtract either." So I gave her the $8.17 that I owed and left shaking my head.

It is difficult for me to believe that a girl in her early twenties who was a High school graduate (she remarked that she was at one point) could not do the simplest of mathematical operations. She was crying when I left.

My school taxes this year exceeded seven hundred dollars.

oxsan

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Posted by Mugtoe on 07-09-2003 04:25 PM:

Take your gun and return to the store and shoot her before she breeds.

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
The brotherhood of melon loving will save us all, I am sure of it.

Posted by Aydin on 07-09-2003 04:36 PM:

Is not your school taxes, it's the morons who attend school.
I know quite a few clerks in Philadelphia who, despite the cash register that tells them exactly how much change to give, cannot make, say 74¢ out of coins. One guy I knew always gave me 2 quarters, 3 nickels, and two pennies - no matter how much my change should have been.

Posted by Dog Breath on 07-09-2003 04:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe

It doesn't matter, she can't multiply.

Oh the shame of the obvious pun...

Posted by Mugtoe on 07-09-2003 04:43 PM:

Ha!

Dad, when she looked at you and sobbed, "I can't multiply!" you should've responded, "Thank God for that."

quote:

Posted by A.D.H.D on 07-09-2003 04:44 PM:

haha!

gay for mugtoe

Posted by Smug Git on 07-09-2003 04:47 PM:

Weird. Some people don't get maths as a whole, but arithmetic is just a trick based on practice. I blame the parents.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by oxsan on 07-09-2003 05:43 PM:

She was a good-looking girl in hip hugger blue jeans bare midriff and tight knit top---maybe she will never need to learn math.

oxsan

Posted by euphorbia on 07-09-2003 05:48 PM:

what the fuck...there is no excuse and its no one's fault but her own. She is grown, if an 8 year old can multiply so can she. She can teach herself.

and kudos to you oxsan for being a stand up guy.

taste the fucking rainbow & dont touch my junk.

Posted by Vegas on 07-09-2003 05:50 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by oxsan
She was a good-looking girl in hip hugger blue jeans bare midriff and tight knit top---maybe she will never need to learn math.

Depends on if her future husband graduates college or not, I guess

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Posted by Mugtoe on 07-09-2003 06:11 PM:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by euphorbia
[B]and kudos to you oxsan for being a stand up guy.

quote:

Posted by J E B Stuart on 07-09-2003 06:12 PM:

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe

Or, Muggumz, perhaps you should go to th'store 'n' breed 'er 'fore someone does shoot her. Consider it a charitable contribution of superior DNA to her gene pool fer future generations.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Posted by slight on 07-09-2003 06:21 PM:

I have prettymuch forgotten how to multiply and divide by the age of 30 (i could do it no problem at 7). This is because I'm lazy and use a calculator as soon as I need more than two digits of precision. I can usually get the exponent and first two digits, and sometimes a good idea of the third prettymuch instantly in my head without really thinking about it tho.

If I absolutely have to multiply or divide on paper, which is very rare, I have to sit down and teach myself how it works again, which is quite distinct from remembering how to do it, and it can take me up to 5 minutes to re-learn and a couple of days to forget again.

Posted by oxsan on 07-09-2003 06:28 PM:

How many of you ever learned to take a manual square root? cube root?
How about working a quadratic equation by the formula?

oxsan

Posted by Mugtoe on 07-09-2003 06:35 PM:

Our tools have become masters.

quote:

Posted by oxsan on 07-09-2003 06:36 PM:

i could solve the quadratic but I doubt my ability to extract the roots.

oxsan

Posted by Aydin on 07-09-2003 06:44 PM:

I could do the quadratic with some prompting and if the formula were in front of me. But's it's kinda like going to college to learn Turkish. You'll never need it again, so why bother?

Posted by slight on 07-09-2003 06:46 PM:

I can guess a square root same as a division, but using interpolation between landmarks like 0.707, 14.14, 64, 100, 144, 256, 400 etc. We were never taught the process to manually calculate one in the 80's, let alone a cube root.

I don't recall what quadratic equation means anymore, but I bet I could work one out if I saw it.

I can guess trig values to 2 or 3 places, based on a visual image of sinewaves and circles in my head, and again using landmarks, like good ol' point 707. Again, we were never taught to do these manually.

To put this in context, I was top of my school in maths and by a long way, and it would be *fun* for me to sit down and work out how to calculate a square root again. (I have done that at least once at some stage.) But then, I left school at 15... kinda like Caff, only 15 years later.

Posted by Smug Git on 07-09-2003 06:53 PM:

I can derive the quadratic equation solution formula, so nerr (only a highschool level problem, though, just one that people forget how to do unless they do a fair amount of algebra semi-regularly).

You can find roots by iteration (making a guess, then using that to make a better guess, etc.). But there isn't any real point to that, as it can be lengthy, wheras solving a quadratic isn't (and most people don't have quick access to the programs that solve quadratics unless you have a fancy calculator). Other tasks like finding the determinant of a 4 dimensional or above square matrix, solving linear equations (related to the determinant problem), etc, are simply tedious. Being able to estimate solutions is very helpful, probably more useful than calculating them exactly in some cases, as it gives you a check on your precise solution if nothing else.

Posted by slight on 07-09-2003 07:00 PM:

smug, there is a c function written by one of the Carmack brothers that finds rough hack square roots extremely fast. I'll see if I can track it down, you'll probably get a kick out of deciphering it.

edit: by 'Carmack Brothers' I mean early years id software, the function is from the doom source, or possibly quake 1.

Posted by Smug Git on 07-09-2003 07:02 PM:

That would be interesting. Finding square roots exactly is pretty computationally expensive I think (which is why when you draw a circle on a screen you may not want to use the circle equation directly, I believe).

Posted by Smug Git on 07-09-2003 07:08 PM:

On reflection, I would think that the girl was bullshitting when she said that she wasn't taught to multiply. You hear it a lot from people, the 'they didn't teach me this' crap, which they use as an excuse for their own failings. I can't imagine how she graduated highschool, though. Are there national or state-wide standards for what counts as an acceptable graduation level?

Posted by slappy on 07-09-2003 07:24 PM:

She was probably just passing the blame on to her crappy school. I'm sure she went to every single class and handed all her work in on time really.

Oooh and I can solve quadratics. I LOVE quadratics *big grin*. Working out roots would be done by guess work.

I wouldn't have gone back into the store to pay more money! It's only a few dollars.

Posted by oxsan on 07-09-2003 08:39 PM:

Standardized acheivement tests are being instituted nation wide now and are being vocally opposed in some areas. , At the moment Florida is raising hell bigtime about them. In one county in Fl;orida 14% of the graduating class could not pass and therefore were denied their diplomas. Only 50% is reguired to pass and you may take the test any number of times. The fourteen percent above had taken the same test five times. I can no longer point with pride to the US educational system

oxsan

Posted by Dog Breath on 07-09-2003 09:20 PM:

The system is flawed. It isn't the only culprit and there are many culprits in the system.

First off the children are indoctrinated as to their rights as the school sees them. They use Child Abuse as an excuse to tell the kids their parents can't touch them in any way, good or bad if the child doesn't WANT to be touched. They know it is illegal to withhold basic needs so they can use that information to impose their own will. In California, the local children's services will back them up without question.

This AIN'T the 50's, You don't wallop your kids in public and your nieghbors can't discipline your kids when when they visit.

The schools can't use physical punishment to enforce their rules even if the kids are harming each other. The teachers live in fear of their students in the higher grades knowing they have no authority to force the children to learn and if they push too hard the children will harm them without any real consequences.

Only some kids want to learn, the rest don't have to. There just isn't enough incentive to compell the kids to learn. There have been a great many laws written to protect our children that only serve to protect them from consequences and undermine the authority of teachers and parents.