Asylum Forums Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »
Show all 149 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Sensory Overload (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6)
-- the apprentice (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=33097)

Posted by mmmtravis on 01-11-2004 01:01 PM:

the apprentice

i'm not typically one for those elimination type 'survival' shows but i must admit i liked this new one where over-qualified entreprenuers spend 15 weeks being donald trump's bitch, trying to win a job running one of his companies.

anyone else watch the premiere episode? what did ya think?

Posted by ponyslayer on 01-11-2004 01:52 PM:

I liked it especially the fact that Trump really saw past a lot of their bullshit (like the guy who everyone blamed for the lemonade problems).

Can't wait till the girls start trashing each other. Thats gonna be vicious.

-if god didn't want me to masturbate, he would've given me shorter arms.

Posted by mmmtravis on 01-11-2004 09:40 PM:

yeah, me too. sucks for the guys on that one though. you're really starting from behind trying to sell shit on the street if your a bunch of dorky guys as opposed to a group of somewhat hot women.

Posted by Smug Git on 01-11-2004 09:59 PM:

The adverts for it were teethgrindingly painful. Donald Trump is extraordinarily annoying in any case.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by ponyslayer on 01-11-2004 10:10 PM:

Yeah but it did illustrate a good point to all those whiney feminists who bitch and moan that women are never judged by their intellegence and always by their looks. They could've been junior high drop outs working at a White Castle and probably would've achieved the same results just as long as they were hot.

Hopefully the guys will do better this week w/ the ad campaign, especially after their best effort for creating a team name was Versicorp.

Posted by ponyslayer on 01-11-2004 10:15 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
The adverts for it were teethgrindingly painful. Donald Trump is extraordinarily annoying in any case.

Oh the contestants are just as bad! Its like when Trump talks, he's basicly just bending over while each one just licks away taint and all. Most of em just quote the same lines one would hear from a self-help motivational book on "getting the edge in the business world" type bullshit to the point that its almost comical!

Hell every Thurs night I'm gonna make a drinking game out of it. Everytime someone brown noses I'm taking a shot. Everytime Trump tears someone down, doin' a shot.

Posted by Smug Git on 01-11-2004 10:26 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ponyslayer
Yeah but it did illustrate a good point to all those whiney feminists who bitch and moan that women are never judged by their intellegence and always by their looks.

The point being 'men are stupid and base'? But the feminists probably suspected as much already.

Posted by ponyslayer on 01-12-2004 12:30 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
The point being 'men are stupid and base'? But the feminists probably suspected as much already.

Point being most of the girls spents years and years trying to earn their education (which apparently didn't come in handy, just have to watch the episode) and what saved their ass was...well their ass'.

Posted by Vegas on 01-12-2004 01:41 AM:

quote:
Hell every Thurs night I'm gonna make a drinking game out of it. Everytime someone brown noses I'm taking a shot. Everytime Trump tears someone down, doin' a shot.

I hope you get a jug of weak stuff. Otherwise we will enjoyed your posting and wish you godspeed.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Posted by Smug Git on 01-12-2004 06:53 AM:

quote:
Point being most of the girls spents years and years trying to earn their education (which apparently didn't come in handy, just have to watch the episode) and what saved their ass was...well their ass'.

That would come under 'exploiting men's stupidity and base instincts', I would imagine, which was the best weapon to use for that particular task. It says a lot about men, and not much about women.

Posted by mmmtravis on 01-12-2004 08:36 AM:

Perpetuating arguement for its own sake about a show you've never seen, dammit Smug, stop trying to be like Phil.

Posted by Smug Git on 01-12-2004 08:42 AM:

This argument isn't really about the show, though, obviously.

Posted by mmmtravis on 01-12-2004 08:50 AM:

Fine, I'll sink down to your level...

You're right, it perhaps says more about males then it does about females (though someone on the episoded quoted a statistic about females also being more likely to buy from other females, but I can't verify its accurracy).

These weren't ultra-saavy seductresses selling glasses of lemonade to men in lingerie or anything though, but yeah, after they started getting hit on they picked up on the appropriate angle to take and started giving out kisses and their phone numbers with the beverages.

Still, though, if you had watched the two groups operate, the males seemed to have their shit together more, while the women appeared disorganized, confused, and annoyingly catty toward each other-- though then they just mistakenly stumbled onto the fact that they had tits and asses, and that was that with that.

I don't really agree with the way they divided up the two groups, though. In my opinion they should've been co-ed.

Posted by ponyslayer on 01-12-2004 09:06 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Vegas
I hope you get a jug of weak stuff. Otherwise we will enjoyed your posting and wish you godspeed.

Don't worry I'm usually drunk when I post. I thought it was a requirement anyways.

Posted by ponyslayer on 01-17-2004 10:05 PM:

I had an important phone call at the end of the 2nd episode and missed a few things. I know Sam was picked again but why was the other guy chosen and why was Jason fired???

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 01-18-2004 01:44 AM:

quote:
I had an important phone call at the end of the 2nd episode and missed a few things. I know Sam was picked again but why was the other guy chosen and why was Jason fired???

Ratings.

Sam is by far the most annoying, backstabing, cockehead cunt of the bunch, so obviously they want him to hang around a bit. You watch, they're not going to cut the black girl either for a few rounds, for the same reason. Also, if you read the end credits, it mentions that the producers of the show advise Mr. Trump on who he should pick and not pick.

So, when they got in there, Donald Trump recognized that everybody hated Sam (Sam: "I don't think they hate me..." Trump: "Yes, they hate you."), but instead decided to cut Jason because he was the team leader and he had made the decision to not meet with the airline people before doing the ad work on their project, which violates Trumps #3 rule of business: always deal with the boss. And, since Jason himself was the boss that week, he got fired.

It was a pretty obviously play at keeping Sam just because he riles everybody else up. But, it's a reality show, how real do you want it?

Posted by morgana on 01-18-2004 07:20 PM:

aside from the ratings aspect of it, trump has a very good reason for keeping the trouble makers: how to deal with difficult people 101. the person he decides to keep is going to be given a chance to run a multimillion dollar company. they're not going to like everyone that works with them, and this gives trump an opportunity to see how the candidates deal with people on their team that they don't like, and possibly hinder their success.

as a manager, i think it's an excellent choice.

generated by sloganizer.net

Posted by mmmtravis on 01-18-2004 07:32 PM:

i have a feeling this tv deal he has will make more money for trump than the shell company the winning schmuck is going to run ever will.

so yeah, i think it's a ratings thing mostly too.

Posted by Smug Git on 01-18-2004 08:55 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by mmmtravis
Fine, I'll sink down to your level...

That would be the sort of sinking where you actually rise, then?

Posted by Vegas on 01-22-2004 02:11 AM:

So my mom told me that as a business student I should watch the show.

Negotiations. Wow. That was pitiful.

Quite honestly, I really wish I had seen how the women negotiated such low prices (or found bargains) for a number of items. They scored some incredible bargains, and how they ever got the guy down to $300 on the driver is just beyond me.

Sam had no gameplan. I can see why he was picked twice in a row to be axed, his mind not only misses details but it forgets about the big picture and lands somewhere between Mars and Looney Tunes. I am astounded at how poorly he managed the group. Respect is to be earned and not given, leadership is a skill and not a right. He truly deserved to be fired.

I dunno. There was not enough to analyze in that episode. I need more action and less stupid TV shit.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Posted by ponyslayer on 01-22-2004 02:21 AM:

One factor that Trump doesn't throw in is business ethics which if it were the women would certainly be guilty of violating on numerous ocassions. Could Trump really allow someone running one of his companies to "belly dance" their way to better deal??? Or how about the overly sexual material from the last project.

Over all though when going by the rules given it's been a pretty fair shake from a manager's point-of-view.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 01-22-2004 02:32 AM:

Yes, Donald Trump should really have played the business ethics card.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 01-22-2004 02:33 AM:

Donald Trump should also demand that his teams not objectify women or use sex to market things. Donald Trump should do this. Donald. Trump.

Posted by ponyslayer on 01-22-2004 02:38 AM:

I'm sorry Paint ChiPs I wasn't paying attention to what you said. I was distracted by.....Trump.....Donald.....Donald Trump....Or something

Posted by Vegas on 01-22-2004 02:10 PM:

Using sex to sell has been commonplace for long before we were born. It works. And if a person running a company chose not to acknowledge it and use it when appropriate then I think he/she should not be in charge.

I guess next week will involve some evil swindling and truly poor ethics. Joy!

-m