Asylum Forums
Show all 19 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- The Lost Forum (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- damn fleas! [dog stuff] (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=34272)

Posted by Inky on 03-21-2004 02:32 AM:

damn fleas! [dog stuff]

i think i need to get something for my dog for fleas. it's been very warm here and she rolls on lawns to cool herself and has been chewing at herself and scratching alot lately, so i am assuming she has fleas.

any recommendations for the safest stuff? of course i want it to work well and be inexpensive, but safety is my paramount concern.

thanks!

Posted by skalie on 03-21-2004 02:55 AM:

quote:
Assuming she has fleas
, you can't see them? (small black things that move)

Posted by Vyper on 03-21-2004 03:08 AM:

give her a bath in salt water...or take her to the ocean for a swim, if you have one nearby

salt water kills fleas better than any flea medication I've ever used on my animals

Some people realize that their history of suffering can be a hero's saga rather than a victim's whine, depending on how they write it.

Posted by Vyper on 03-21-2004 03:13 AM:

just wanted to mention that if she has raw spots from chewing, the salt water will aggravate those, but there is a shampoo called Hylyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo that will help clear up the skin first. Use that for a couple of weeks and then do the salt water bath

you can buy it at some pet shops or you can order it here

Some people realize that their history of suffering can be a hero's saga rather than a victim's whine, depending on how they write it.

Posted by nYmpHo_eNvy on 03-21-2004 03:49 AM:

chemicals that work but are expensive: advantage, advantix and frontline
chemicals that work but are not too expensive: biospot
"natural" remedies that work to varying degrees depending upon the time of year and degree of "infestation": feed your dog brewer's yeast flakes (I think it's two tablespoons with meals); mix up a tincture of essential oils of citronella, orange and tea tree with mostly water and spray generously, work into fur daily (good for coat and skin and should also help if dog is developing raw spots) ...

Posted by billgerat on 03-21-2004 07:21 AM:

Get Advantage. It will kill all the fleas on your dog in 24 hours, kill fleas wherever the dog lays, and lasts 30 days. Advantix does the same thing, but also kills ticks too, but is more expensive. Advantage is expensive, but it's the best shit you can buy for fleas on dogs and cats. Nothing I've ever found works as good as this stuff, and that includes shampoos, sprays, and powders. The stuff gets into the dog's skin, and it is virtually impossible to overdose your animal. Just apply it in an area where they can't lick it off (ie on the neck behind the head), and wash your hands after applying.

Frontline just makes the fleas sterile and kills the eggs they lay, but the fleas on them stay until they naturally die. It's good, but not as good as Advantage. Plus it costs almost as much.

Salt water baths work OK, but there are pockets under the hairs where the fleas don't get wet unless you bathe them a long time. Besides, you have to wash the salt off your dog after you are done. What a hassle!

"Republicans: the party that brought us 'Just Say No.' First as a drug policy, then as their entire platform." -Stephen Colbert -

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 03-21-2004 08:00 AM:

I had a dog with fleas once. I really got to like the fleas better than the dog. So I killed the dog and kept the fleas!

Does anyone know where I can get tiny leashes?

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-22-2004 04:12 AM:

(oops..)

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-22-2004 04:18 AM:

I think you should seriosly consider shaving your dog down to skin.He may like it with the hot weather and all.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by Tefl on 03-22-2004 08:39 AM:

If all else fails and you absolutely cannot kill the fleas, saturate the dog's fur with spent motor oil and let it sit for about a day. It will be the goddamndest mess you've ever seen to clean up but it will kill the infestation. It also works to get rid of mange.

Use only as last resort because like I said it's a mess.

Posted by skalie on 03-22-2004 09:04 AM:

Having fleas can also lead tp them having worms, or vica versa, I forget which way it goes.

Worms dislike garlic, tobacco and anti-worm stuff.

Posted by bunkum on 03-22-2004 10:08 AM:

Fuck off!! Yay!

"Good God! What kind of hallucinogen leaves you high enough to be blissfully unaware of a genital amputation but lucid enough to grease up a pan and cook up a wiener? "

--pervscan.com

Posted by JoeyCat on 03-22-2004 11:09 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by skalie
, you can't see them? (small black things that move)

what he said

=^.^=

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-22-2004 12:51 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Tefl
If all else fails and you absolutely cannot kill the fleas, saturate the dog's fur with spent motor oil and let it sit for about a day. It will be the goddamndest mess you've ever seen to clean up but it will kill the infestation. It also works to get rid of mange.

Use only as last resort because like I said it's a mess.

I never heard that one;isn't motor oil eventually bad for you with contaminants getting thru your skin especially if left for a whole day?It probably works but still.Then there's the tracking all over and shit.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by missjo on 03-22-2004 01:52 PM:

Eucalyptus woolwash

Brussels sprouts are for throwing not for eating!!!

Posted by Tefl on 03-23-2004 06:44 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Large Filipino
I never heard that one;isn't motor oil eventually bad for you with contaminants getting thru your skin especially if left for a whole day?It probably works but still.Then there's the tracking all over and shit.

Immersion in any petroleum product I'm sure is bad for you (and your little dog too) but it does kill off the parasites. I've seen this done a few times on "outdoor" dogs and each time they where kept on a chain to keep them from tracking oil everywhere.

Be sort of fun though to slather up a poodle this way and turn it loose in someone's house. It would be a nice practical joke to do when they where gone all weekend.

Posted by DevilMoon on 03-23-2004 07:04 AM:

One of my friends came over once and she was making my eyes water. I asked what the smell was and she said that her mom thought she had lice and washed her hair with kerosene. I don't know if she rinsed, but it didn't smell like it. Then we went to a house party. I guess we are lucky she didn't bump into a cigarette.

So yeah, kerosene! It may or may not work, but it smells horrible and will make your pet flammable.

Posted by CRSR on 03-23-2004 07:18 AM:

flammable pets are teh fun!

Posted by Inky on 03-23-2004 07:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by bunkum
Fuck off!! Yay!

i'll be sure to relay that to my dog.