Asylum Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 74 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Pads 'n Nads (& mousepads) (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=10)
-- The Perfect Game (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=35332)

Posted by Dingle on 05-19-2004 02:50 AM:

The Perfect Game

I was watching the Twins, but they broke in to announce Randy Johnson just threw a perfect game.

I don't know the exact number, but less than 20 perfect games have ever occurred. A perfect game consists of pitching a complete game and only facing 27 batters, 3 per inning, with none reaching base.

Congrats to the fellow tall fucker.

Idle hands spend time at the genitals.

Posted by Smug Git on 05-19-2004 02:52 AM:

This is why we need a sports forum.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by billgerat on 05-19-2004 03:00 AM:

OK, I'll make it political.

Randy Johnson for President!

"Republicans: the party that brought us 'Just Say No.' First as a drug policy, then as their entire platform." -Stephen Colbert -

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 05-19-2004 03:02 AM:

Randy Johnson is fantastic! I saw a caricature of him somewhere (I think it was the New Yorker) that was just so great!

I was asking my dad recently if he knew what pitcher (who pitched an entire game) threw the least amount of pitches in that game. The least number pitches would be 27 (which is, for all intents and purposes, impossible). He didn't have any idea. Does anyone know?

Report this post to a moderator!!!

Posted by Dingle on 05-19-2004 03:14 AM:

derr, why the fuck did i put this in PDM? And why didn't smug move it for me so I didn't end up looking like a moron? Do your job smug.

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 05-19-2004 03:18 AM:

I noticed this thread disappeared!!!

Posted by MstrG on 05-19-2004 03:21 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by GoFuckYourselves!
I was asking my dad recently if he knew what pitcher (who pitched an entire game) threw the least amount of pitches in that game.

No, but I'd guess Harvey Haddix threw the most - pitched a perfect game for 12 innings, then lost it in the 13th on an error, intentional walk, and a double.

edit: the answer is Tom Browning http://www.amiannoying.com/(5xcknh45f042o5ysjdioix55)/view.aspx?id=11159&collection=113

You'll have to cut and paste the link.

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 05-19-2004 03:22 AM:

Wow!

I'll bet he pitched a fit after that!

Posted by Smug Git on 05-19-2004 03:24 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dingle
derr, why the fuck did i put this in PDM? And why didn't smug move it for me so I didn't end up looking like a moron? Do your job smug.

I'd have moved it, except for it made you look like a moron.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by flocat on 05-19-2004 03:25 AM:

Too bad Arizona sucks balls right now. Hell, I recently read Johnson saying that families may want to go to the movies instead of coming to watch the D'Backs play. It'd have been pretty rad to see this particular game, though.

Posted by billgerat on 05-19-2004 03:37 AM:

D'backs Johnson Throws Perfect Game Against Braves
Cy Young Award Winner Becomes Oldest to Pitch Perfect Game
By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP SPORTS

ATLANTA (May 18) -- Arizona's Randy Johnson became the oldest pitcher in major league history to throw a perfect game, retiring all 27 hitters to lead the Diamondbacks over the Atlanta Braves 2-0 Tuesday night.

The 40-year-old left-hander struck out 13 and went to three balls on just one hitter -- Johnny Estrada in the second inning. Estrada fouled off three straight 3-2 pitches before going down swinging.

It was the 17th perfect game in major league history, the 15th since the modern era began in 1900 and the first since the New York Yankees' David Cone against Montreal on July 18, 1999.

....He became only the fifth pitcher to throw no-hitters in both the National and American leagues, joining Young, Jim Bunning, Hideo Nomo and Nolan Ryan.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/a...518215509990013

"Republicans: the party that brought us 'Just Say No.' First as a drug policy, then as their entire platform." -Stephen Colbert -

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 05-19-2004 03:40 AM:

List of perfect games pitched (thanks to MstrG)

http://www.amiannoying.com/(bydwpx5...?collection=709

Posted by Dead_Inside on 05-19-2004 03:51 AM:

I perfect game also means no errors, right? The Diamondbacks didnt commit a single error. Congratulations to Randy Johnson and his teamates a perfect game is indeed rare and I would think its up there with the most difficult things to achieve in sports. Wished I could have watched it.

Didn't someone throw a perfect game in the World Series or was it a no hitter? I am off to look it up.

Posted by MstrG on 05-19-2004 03:55 AM:

There was one perfect game in the series, Don Larsen (sp?).

Posted by Dead_Inside on 05-19-2004 03:59 AM:

Don Larsen, 1956.

Posted by Dingle on 05-19-2004 04:00 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by GoFuckYourselves!
List of perfect games pitched (thanks to MstrG)

http://www.amiannoying.com/(bydwpx5...?collection=709

Wow they updated that quickly, Randy Johnson is already on there. But they only list 12 total so theyre missing some.

Posted by MstrG on 05-19-2004 04:01 AM:

Probably the difference between "modern era" (after 1900) and "all time".

Posted by Dingle on 05-19-2004 04:02 AM:

this lists all perfect games, including perfect through 9 innings:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/pitching/piperf.shtml

minus Randy Johnson

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 05-19-2004 04:02 AM:

Regarding your question about errors:

In baseball, a perfect game occurs when a pitcher throws a complete game without allowing a hit, walk, error, hit batter, or any other baserunners. Since the pitcher cannot control whether or not his teammates commit any errors, to pitch a perfect game, the pitcher must be backed up by a lineup of solid defenders.
A perfect game is considered to be the pinnacle of pitching performance and is one of the most difficult achievements in baseball or any sport. It is the masterpiece of a pitcher's career and in Major League Baseball places one in elite company.

Posted by Dead_Inside on 05-19-2004 04:02 AM:

Ah, G beat me to it. I must type faster.

Posted by Dingle on 05-19-2004 04:09 AM:

some other interesting stuff from http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question199.htm

# A minimal "perfect game" would be a game in which the pitcher threw 27 pitches and each batter was out on that first pitch. So each batter would swing on the first pitch and fly out or get tagged out while running to first base. This would be the least amount of work for the pitcher. This sort of "perfect game" has never occurred.

# A strike-out "perfect game" would be a game in which no batter ever made contact with the ball. The pitcher would strike out 27 batters in a row. This sort of perfect game has never occurred, either.

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 05-19-2004 04:12 AM:

I would imagine that both are totally impossible. Like birdieing 18 holes of golf or something.

Posted by CHiPsJr on 05-19-2004 04:13 AM:

Technically, a perfect game would require only fifteen pitches--as a game halted after five or more innings due to inclement weather still counts as a perfect game. If I remember right, Tom Browning's perfect game was shortened in this manner...

(edit: I was incorrect. I may have been thinking of Palmer's).

(double-edit: trivia-can anyone name a baseball achievement, both beneficial to his team and achievable by a single player, that has occurred LESS frequently than a perfect game?)

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 05-19-2004 04:14 AM:

NO WAY!

(You're OUT!)

Posted by Dingle on 05-19-2004 04:18 AM:

perhaps 4 HR's in a game, CHiPsJr?

I have no idea if that's ever occurred, i tend to think not.