Asylum Forums Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »
Show all 115 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Asylum Book Club (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=21)
-- what comics/graphic novels are you reading? (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=42956)

Posted by mmmtravis on 10-24-2005 06:42 AM:

what comics/graphic novels are you reading?

most people here may not read comics, but i just started getting into them recently and i'm always up for suggestions... so i figure this could use its own thread.

currently i'm on book five of Watchmen.

me likey, dr. manhattan is an interesting character.

picture unrelated

Posted by ignatz mouse on 10-24-2005 08:33 AM:

here's a list. next time, try the search function.

Posted by mmmtravis on 10-24-2005 09:00 AM:

if you would've simply stuck with "tack" you would've earned a point.

picture unrelated

Posted by ignatz mouse on 10-24-2005 09:05 AM:

fine then. next time, go hungry.

Posted by mmmtravis on 10-24-2005 09:13 AM:

ha...

[p]

picture unrelated

Posted by mmmtravis on 10-25-2005 12:54 AM:

spent most of the night reading Y: the last man on recommendation from the linked thread and also from another friend.. it's pretty good.

it's pretty pop-culture referential (some allusions are fairly subtle, like the vague outline of a Six-String Samurai poster on his bedroom wall in issue 1), which can be good but is sometimes over the top. mostly though, it's pretty amusing.

the only thing i hate about comics is having the whole 'to be continued' aspect of current ones. i just read 37 issues in a night, i really don't want to wait another month to read #38.. and i REALLY don't want to wait another two years to see what caused the plague.

picture unrelated

Posted by Smug Git on 10-25-2005 12:59 AM:

Hellblazer, of course.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by morgana on 10-25-2005 04:58 AM:

i'm not currently reading any comics/graphic novels due to not knowing where the local shops are. however, i've read most of what's been recommended in the previous thread and still strongly feel that the sandman by neil gaiman is one of the best stories ever written, whatever genre you choose to place it in.

generated by sloganizer.net

Posted by Rokkr on 10-25-2005 11:29 PM:

The original 13 issues of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Admin Qualified

Posted by SimpleSimon on 10-26-2005 12:16 AM:

I owned all of those at one time, Rokkr. Wish I still had them, they were great.

Posted by Smug Git on 10-26-2005 12:46 AM:

Weasel Spoor may have them, actually.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by Rokkr on 10-26-2005 08:14 PM:

I've just acquired Harvey Pekar's American Splendor collection and I'm working my way through those now.

Admin Qualified

Posted by mmmtravis on 11-21-2005 04:25 PM:

Spent the last three or four days reading Preacher.

I liked it a lot. The first 16 or so issues were amazing, as was a lot of the cover art; some of the later Cassidy-centric storylines bordered on dull.

I really enjoyed the conversations with and about God; the writers were able to make Him a pathetic creature with believable motivations.

My four favorite characters of the series (besides Preacher himself) were:

4. Hoover - The black assistant who worked for The Grail.. it was very disturbing to watch him count three million grains of sand.
3. The Saint of Killers. He was coooool.
2. Detective Tool - the pitiful cop who fucked everything up. Hugzz f0r j00!
1. !!!!!!!!!ARSEFACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picture unrelated

Posted by Pinecrika on 11-21-2005 09:00 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Rokkr
The original 13 issues of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Yeah! I learned to read with the freak brothers. My mom probably shouldn't have left them out.

The one where they go to Mexico was pretty funny.

"Let Ebola decide. " ....Tuba

Posted by Pinecrika on 11-21-2005 09:01 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleSimon
I owned all of those at one time, Rokkr. Wish I still had them, they were great.

I bought a bunch for my mom at a head shope in San Diego. That was ten years ago, though.

www.ripoffpress.com There's some goods!

"Let Ebola decide. " ....Tuba

Posted by Rokkr on 12-06-2005 12:50 PM:

I've been reading Lucifer of late.
This will probably bring howls of rage from the Sandman disciples, but I'm enjoying this series quite a bit more than Sandman.

Admin Qualified

Posted by Hawley Griffin on 12-06-2005 06:15 PM:

lurcifer is indeed very good, easily one of my favorite books (the character himself isn't all bad)

"too many people have opinions on things they know nothting about. and the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
-euphorbia

Posted by Rokkr on 12-06-2005 06:24 PM:

I find myself wishing they'd spin off Gaudium and his sister into their own series. They constantly crack me up.

Admin Qualified

Posted by Rokkr on 12-08-2005 08:36 PM:

Y: Last Penis on Earth
Not bad so far.

Admin Qualified

Posted by Rokkr on 03-16-2006 12:13 PM:

One of my sons turned me on to the Crossgen universe. I managed to acquire their entire catalogue. Starting with Meridian. Good stuff so far, too bad they folded.

Admin Qualified

Posted by <clever name> on 04-08-2006 05:34 AM:

Noe Barrio- Convent of Hell is a classic. Nuns and huge wodden cocks are always a plus..

**Not fixing my spelling errors before or after 9pm**

Posted by bunkum on 04-25-2006 08:44 PM:

Er, it's not a novel, but I just finished up a graphic arts version of Introducing Marxism (Rupert Woodfin, Oscar Zarate). My favorite bit is the illustration of Stalin's "liquidation" of Buhkarin, Zinoviev, and Kamenev.

"Good God! What kind of hallucinogen leaves you high enough to be blissfully unaware of a genital amputation but lucid enough to grease up a pan and cook up a wiener? "

--pervscan.com

Posted by voncrud on 05-17-2006 11:18 PM:

not sure if I mentioned this before:

www.nyc2123.com

Bad ass online comic. Too bad production takes so long. If you click the blog link, there is a YOU TUBE video of how they create the animation from real people. Kinda like "Waking Life".... but black and white.

Happiness lies neither in vice nor in virtue; but in the manner we appreciate the one and the other, and the choice we make pursuant to our individual organization. - Marquis De Sade

Posted by SocialParasite on 07-10-2006 11:36 PM:

Battle Pope, Teen Titans, Marvel Zombies, The Maxx, Loaded Bible: Jesus vs. Vampires, Sidekick.

Posted by Mordecai on 07-11-2006 02:40 AM:

I wouldn't call 'badass' aj, even though I've read it all, it's actually very cliche cyberpunk, SLH and I discussed whether or not someone had simply kept notes on an actual cyberpunk campaign.

Which isn't to say it's bad, like I said, I read it, and I do prefer periodic large update format over the weekly update of most webcomics, and I really like a nice download package so I can simply dump it on my PPC and read at leisure without even having to turn the wireless on.

-m

-m