Asylum Forums Pages (32): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » ... Last »
Show all 780 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Polμticΰs der Mondι (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18)
-- Asylum RPG 2: Electric Boogaloo (diplomactic version) (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=45113)

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-08-2006 05:26 PM:

Asylum RPG 2: Electric Boogaloo (diplomactic version)

Okay, I tried this once before but have been informed that I didn't sell it correctly.

This is a simply RPG based around European continental domination. Each of 7 countries begins with 3 armies and three Supply Centers (ie valuable territories). There are a total of 34 Supply Centers, leaving 13 of them neutral at the beginning of the game and 21 of them owned equally among 7 powers: Germany, England, France, Italy, Austria, Turkey, and Russia.

The actual combat phase is pretty simple. The key to this game is, uh, Diplomacy, whereby you negotiate with the other players to establish friendships and alliances. The game essentially plays like this:

• A few days of negotiating, at the conclusion of which troop (army and fleet) movements are submitted
• The success/failure of the moves is calculated, retreats are ordered and subsequent troop improvements are built (if you gain territory) or troops are disbanded (if you lose territory).
• Repeat.

This type of game is a heavy mix of strategy (dealing with the other players via email/ chat/ IM, etc) and tactics (analyzing the best movements of troops and fleets).

Feeble minded need not apply.

I'll get a neutral party to serve as Gamemaster, responsible for adjucating moves and answering questions. I'm in to play, which leaves 6 slots open.

Based on previous responses and the current raucous response in #wota, SimpleSimon, Coincidence, CHiPsJr, and cornelius are int. That makes 5, leaving 2 slots for the rest of you.

I figure Mord/Mug/Torque/CD/Paint/Smug/Kugl0 /Lightbulb/Ignatz/Mokkori would be interested. Any takers?

The Law of Fives is never wrong. CzEch yerself b4 joo rEck yerself. Hi-yo!

Posted by Coincidence on 07-08-2006 05:55 PM:

This sounds bloody great. I have played these a number of times since your last offer, and it was always a blast - but you were too fast to include me, I'm afraid.

Posted by Serial Thriller on 07-08-2006 05:56 PM:

I'll take it

They may take our freedom, our lives and even our names. but we'll always have our numerical designations

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 07-08-2006 10:40 PM:

I might be interested depending on how gay/not gay it is.

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 07-09-2006 06:36 AM:

i'm in...but i'm not sure i'd be so great at forging alliances. i'm more the type who would just kill the other players in their sleep or something.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by Mokkori on 07-09-2006 08:37 AM:

Since there are two slots and I know my time schedule is pretty tight these days I'll leave them open til serious people has filled it.

If they don't. I'll join.

To establish alliances, is sleeping with them ok? If not I don't what much I'd do in this game.

Posted by Hawley Griffin on 07-09-2006 10:55 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by BROKEN_LADDER
'm more the type who would just kill the other players in their sleep or something.

that's how empires are build

"too many people have opinions on things they know nothting about. and the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
-euphorbia

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 07-09-2006 05:06 PM:

argubly a much better game, is that of Stupidity. in this rpg, the goal is to have the least land and armaments possible after the end of ten turns. he with the worst strategy loses. i mean wins.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by ignatz mouse on 07-09-2006 06:50 PM:

Are all the mods asleep? Why is this still in PDM?

Posted by SimpleSimon on 07-09-2006 07:32 PM:

It belongs here. Diplomacy is a political game.

Posted by ignatz mouse on 07-09-2006 10:50 PM:

I thought for sure the 'Nad forum was doubling as the gaming forum.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-09-2006 10:53 PM:

Okay, I got someone to run the mechanical aspect of the game, so all we need is confirmation of players, a brief tutorial on game play, and we'll be off.

• Me
• SSimon
• Coincidence
• PaintCHiPs
• CHiPsJR
• Kuglo
• Serial

I'd like to see everyone confirm their intent now and if anyone who wanted to play didn't get on the list, we can draw straws.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 07-09-2006 11:00 PM:

Sure, I'll go. The People's Republic of Chipstonia will rule them all.

Posted by SimpleSimon on 07-10-2006 12:07 AM:

I'm in. Still need a brief tutorial, if such be available.

Posted by Lightbulb on 07-10-2006 12:28 AM:

I'd love to but I wouldn't have the time and thus would ruin it for everybody; but thanks for thinking of me, Nute.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-10-2006 02:14 AM:

Okay, Lightbulb is out (he would have won anyway, so this is best) and trenchant troll is in.

• me
• coincidence
• simon
• paint
• TT

Likelies:

• ChipsJr
• cornelius

Reserve

• Kuglo/Thriller

I forgot to mention it, but I figure we'll assign spots based on seniority, post count, and favoritism. The last slot is still open to someone who ranks higher than Kuglo and ST (smug? Mugtoe? Mord? Torque? Thimble?), but only until I explain how the game is played (which is forthcoming)

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 07-10-2006 02:20 AM:

Dibs on China. Or the China-est country available.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 07-10-2006 02:24 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleSimon
I'm in. Still need a brief tutorial, if such be available.

Ditto. Nute tells me that it is forthcoming.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 07-10-2006 02:26 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Paint CHiPs

Ha! I already detect a chink in your armor!

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-10-2006 03:02 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Paint CHiPs

England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Turkey, or Russia

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-10-2006 03:05 AM:

Okay, I'm working on the explanation. I want to warn you that it may seem complicated and arcane at first, but it's really very simple.

The official game rules are available here, but I'm going to explain it more simply very soon.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-10-2006 03:06 AM:

The game intro and maps

Before we begin, I need to explain a few aspects of the game. I'm going to try to keep it simple (which it really is), but there is a chance that the attempt to explain it will complicate it (or makes it seem more complicated than it is). Please ask questions and we'll get things squared away.

The rules of the game are necessary for plotting your progress. Once we get over this initial hump, it runs almost effortlessly.

Each of us will be the leader of a European country at the beginning of 1901: England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Russia, and Turkey. We will play by negotiating with each other in an attempt to dominate the map. During each phase of the game, we will negotiate via email/PM/IM, then submit orders to a trusted third party (Ignatz, in this case). She will hold the orders until everyone has submitted them, at which point the moves will be calculated and troops will advance/ be destroyed/ be dislodged, etc. There will be a brief reposition phase and the process repeats. There are two phases each "year": Spring and Fall. Following the fall phase, each person's territory will be calculated and they will be able to build (or forced to remove) units according to the amount of territory they control.

Simple, right? The system is, but the game is not. Will the Austrian help my French army to conquer Munich? Will the German army in Kiel assist the Munich army? Can I get Russia to attack Berlin from the east? Can I convince the German that I am planning peaceful moves (preparing to attack Italy) and thus have the element of surprise?

The official rules are available here but I will try to explain them below. The first time I read the rule book parts of it were confusing and I don't want to scare people off the game by making them read a manual. That being said, everyone is encouraged to read through the manual. It really isn't that complicated and it isn't necessary to understand the finer points, yet.

Let's begin with the map. Here is a colorful map with full territory names. Territories are often referred to with three letter abbreviations (especially when you play with a computer mediated judge, but nevermind that for now). These abbreviations are usually the first three letters of the name (PAR for Paris, etc). In this game, you are not required to use the abbreviations, but I mention them since they are on the maps and I tend to refer to territory by them. Here is a pdf version that has only the abbreviations. It is better colored-coded and indicates the starting territory of each power. Notice the neutral (brown) territory. Most important are the territories with the circle/spot in it. These are Supply Centers and are the "value" units that count towards conquest. In the fall when territory controlled is calculated, it is the number of Supply Centers (SC) that are counted. Here is one more version that shows the neutral SC in grey and the National starting territories in colors.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-10-2006 03:07 AM:

There are only two types of units: armies and fleets. Each unit is capable of moving into any adjacent territory, with common sense restrictions. Only fleets can enter water territory, and they can also occupy coastal territory (territory that borders water). Armies can enter any land territory and can cross bodies of water by convoy. Any unit can provide support (explained below) to any unit in any adjacent territory that they can move into. This means that fleets can support other fleets in water and coastal territory as well as armies in coastal territories. Armies can support armies in any land territory as well as fleets in coastal territories.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-10-2006 03:10 AM:

SUPPORT

All units in the game have the same strength. To win territory, you must combine forces via movement/attacks, convoys, and support.

There are only 4 kinds of moves/ orders that you can submit: Move, Support, Convoy, or Hold.

Move: The ordered unit will attempt to move into an adjacent space. If you move into an occupied space, the move is considered an attack.
Support: The ordered unit will attempt to provide support for a unit either in or attempting to enter a target space.
Convoy: Only available to fleets. This order will be used to convoy armies across water. Convoy orders can be daisy-chained. Fleets can convoy the armies of any country, not just their own.
Hold: The ordered unit does nothing. This order must be submitted for units that are to do nothing (ie don't leave any units without orders).

You can support and convoy your own units as well as the units of other countries.

When you submit your orders, you will order some units to move or hold and others to support these moves and holds. It is also possible to "cut" support on enemy units by attacking the supporting unit. These orders as calculated and which ever combination proves the "strongest" wins the territory.

• If two (or more) combinations of moves are equal, neither side wins and the source territory remains unchanged. If it was empty, it stays empty. If there was someone in it, they stay in it.

• If a unit is in a territory, it requires an attack strength of 2 to dislodge it. Attack strength of two indicates one unit moving and one unit supporting that movement.

• If a unit offering support is attacked from a territory OTHER than the one being supported into, that support is "cut" and becomes invalid. Thus, in the example above with one unit attacking another while receiving support in that attack (which would win), if the support is cut, the attack is rendered to a 1 vs 1 and the attack fails.

In a nutshell, this is it.

Posted by Nutrimentia on 07-10-2006 03:19 AM:

SUBMITTING ORDERS

There is a particular syntax that is used for submitting orders. This is necessary to avoid confusion when calculating the results of moves. It is also nice because you can "accidentally" issue wrong moves that serve your diplomatic or tactical purposes.

The syntax is simple. You can use either abbreviations or full territorial names, as is your preference. You may also use abbreviations for orders or just the first letter: Support, Convoy, Hold. Move/attacks are represented with a dash between source and destination territory.

Moves: (unit type: Army or Fleet) (source territory) - (destination territory): A MOS - WAR

Support: (Unit Type) (Source territory) S (unit type to be supported) (it's source) - (its destination): A UKR S A MOS - WAR Notice the S between the unit being given orders and the details of the unit being supported. If the unit receiving support is holding, you only have to mention its source province A UKR S A MOS.

Hold: (unit type) (territory) H: A MOS H

Convoy: F (territory) A (source) - (destination) F ENG C A LON - BRE. Fleets in coastal territory cannot convoy. Fleets can only convoy 1 army at a time. Fleets cannot convoy support (ie the army in LON cannot support a unit in BRE via convoy).