Asylum Forums Pages (23): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » ... Last »
Show all 574 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- The Lost Forum (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- Chicago or Seattle? (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=45306)

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 10:09 AM:

Chicago or Seattle?

Hey folks,

I was just hoping to draw upon the Asylum's collective wisdom. My girlfriend wants to go to grad school for English, and we've pretty much got it nailed down to Seattle or Chicago. She's leaning toward Chicago, and I'm leaning toward Seattle.

I've been to Chicago a few times in my life, but I don't remember it extremely well. Seattle I've never been to, but I'm 3 hours south of it, in Portland, so I know the geography, culture, and climate of the northwest, and I think I'd really like Seattle. I'm also a musician, and I'm obsessed with Seattle's musical history. Just saw Pearl Jam a few weeks ago.

What I'm wanting to know is what those of you who've been to both places think about them, and what advice you'd give if you lived in either location.

I'm socially liberal, economically conservative, vegan, a musician, an atheist...I love Indian/Burmese/Thai/Ethiopian/etc. food. I hate winter with a passion I cannot describe, and I think 50 degrees is super cold.

I think I should be in the northwest...but the question is, do I think that with such strength that I'd demand my girlfriend move with me to Seattle instead of my moving to Chicago to be with her?

Thanks folks...

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by bacidath on 08-02-2006 10:13 AM:

chicago is run by the "family" and all that union based work

Refers to the part consisting of leather horse ass never seen a dense fibrous tissue.

Posted by bacidath on 08-02-2006 10:14 AM:

i dont think you would be happy there..you would have plenty of people to fight with though

Refers to the part consisting of leather horse ass never seen a dense fibrous tissue.

Posted by plum on 08-02-2006 10:16 AM:

Re: Chicago or Seattle?

quote:
Originally posted by BROKEN_LADDER

I'm socially liberal,

no shit

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 10:17 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by bacidath
i dont think you would be happy there..you would have plenty of people to fight with though

chicago?

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by bacidath on 08-02-2006 10:18 AM:

yeah...

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 10:18 AM:

Re: Re: Chicago or Seattle?

quote:
Originally posted by plum
no shit

yup, it's true.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 10:19 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by bacidath
yeah...

i think you're right. i think it's a great city, but once you go to the west coast, jesus...how can you go back to the fuckin terrible weather and "culture" of the midwest. still though, i'd love to hear some differing perspectives, perhaps from some residents of either place.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by bacidath on 08-02-2006 10:20 AM:

worked there...all the hotels and convention centers there we have had to use union labor...which sucks...anyway

Posted by fubar on 08-02-2006 12:44 PM:

quote:
Hey folks,

I was just hoping to draw upon the Asylum's collective wisdom. My girlfriend wants to go to grad school for English, and we've pretty much got it nailed down to Seattle or Chicago. She's leaning toward Chicago, and I'm leaning toward Seattle.

I've been to Chicago a few times in my life, but I don't remember it extremely well. Seattle I've never been to, but I'm 3 hours south of it, in Portland, so I know the geography, culture, and climate of the northwest, and I think I'd really like Seattle. I'm also a musician, and I'm obsessed with Seattle's musical history. Just saw Pearl Jam a few weeks ago.

What I'm wanting to know is what those of you who've been to both places think about them, and what advice you'd give if you lived in either location.

I'm socially liberal, economically conservative, vegan, a musician, an atheist...I love Indian/Burmese/Thai/Ethiopian/etc. food. I hate winter with a passion I cannot describe, and I think 50 degrees is super cold.

I think I should be in the northwest...but the question is, do I think that with such strength that I'd demand my girlfriend move with me to Seattle instead of my moving to Chicago to be with her?

Thanks folks...

They speak english in Montreal. You should go there.

Posted by billgerat on 08-02-2006 02:19 PM:

quote:

Christ, don't we already have enough of your type around here? Fucking Godless asian rabbit food eaters - and a "musician" too? I'm sure you could make a few bucks playing secondhand tunes on a thirdhand guitar down with the drunks in Pioneer Square. And buddy, it gets a lot colder 'round here than 50 come winter. Go to Chicago, or better yet a place where you'd be more at home, like Berkely, CA.

"Republicans: the party that brought us 'Just Say No.' First as a drug policy, then as their entire platform." -Stephen Colbert -

Posted by <clever name> on 08-02-2006 03:00 PM:

Seattle sucks and I wouldn't want to live anywhere in WA. Chicago definitely sucks. Winter is really harsh near here. It gets into the negatives, and the summer is truly hot. But I do doubt she would have a hard time with unions in school, but it would probably be a problem if she worked in certain places. Crime is also really bad in Chicago, more than Seattle, that I have seen. And it is near Gary - nuff' said there. So you have to choose b/w a state with volcanoes and rain, or be near an area that has been notorious for being the murder capital of the US and really shitty winters.

"I'm socially liberal, economically conservative, vegan, a musician, an atheist...I love Indian/Burmese/Thai/Ethiopian/etc. food." If you are thinking of coming here as well - we already have enough of your kind in Chicago...so go to Seatlle.

**Not fixing my spelling errors before or after 9pm**

Posted by Mugtoe on 08-02-2006 03:44 PM:

Go to Seattle. The terrible culture and weather in the midwest can do without you. Your girlfriend, however, should go to Chicago and never look back.

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
The brotherhood of melon loving will save us all, I am sure of it.

Posted by SimpleSimon on 08-02-2006 04:12 PM:

You like the food, and socially liberal government? Go to Burma.

Posted by Mugtoe on 08-02-2006 04:50 PM:

*ahem*

Myanmar

quote:

Posted by SimpleSimon on 08-02-2006 05:56 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
*ahem*

Myanmar

PC I've never been. Hell, as far as I am concerned, it is still Rhodesia.

Posted by Mugtoe on 08-02-2006 06:20 PM:

Zimbabwe Rhodesia is the new running back for the Titans

quote:

Posted by Aydin on 08-02-2006 06:25 PM:

I'm in Nieuw Amsterdam! On Holiday, I like to take the train up to Nouvelle France. I grew up in La Pascua Florida (Florid Easter). I spent my 21st birthday on an abandoned beach in Ionia, near Troy.

Posted by Aydin on 08-02-2006 06:26 PM:

And my great uncle is (North) Rhodesian.

Posted by SimpleSimon on 08-02-2006 06:40 PM:

Glad too hear it, Aydin. Go back to Ionia.

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 07:03 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by fubar
They speak english in Montreal. You should go there.

yeah, but the whole "i hate winter with an indescribeable passion" thing wouldn't go so well.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 07:11 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by billgerat
Christ, don't we already have enough of your type around here? Fucking Godless asian rabbit food eaters - and a "musician" too? I'm sure you could make a few bucks playing secondhand tunes on a thirdhand guitar down with the drunks in Pioneer Square.

so seattle has a pioneer square too huh? portland = not so original.

quote:
And buddy, it gets a lot colder 'round here than 50 come winter. Go to Chicago

In December and January, the average high is 46 degrees, and the average low is 36 degrees. Every other month, the average high is above 50. Compared to the icy gales tearing through half-meter snow drifts at 275 K in Chicago, Seattle would be like a tropical getaway.

quote:
or better yet a place where you'd be more at home, like Berkely, CA.

I just moved from San Francisco, so I've spent some time in Berkeley. I don't like it that much because it's a college town and is pretty small and boring. Good places to eat though.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 07:15 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by
But I do doubt she would have a hard time with unions in school, but it would probably be a problem if she worked in certain places.

what the fuck is up with this union shit? are you telling me it's seriously significant enough that you notice in out in the job world? i thought unions were supposedly a good thing, that fought for the employee's rights and all that.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 07:16 PM:

quote:
Go to Seattle. The terrible culture and weather in the midwest can do without you. Your girlfriend, however, should go to Chicago and never look back.

thanks buddy. that's helpful advice.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA

Posted by BROKEN_LADDER on 08-02-2006 07:17 PM:

quote:
*ahem*

Myanmar

That's a political title change that most Burmese people I've met will never recognize. It's because of the military dictatorship. The name of the government might be Myanmar, but the name of that land is Burma.

TAXATION = THEFT
GOVERNMENT = MAFIA