Asylum Forums
Show all 20 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Images Of Desanctity (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8)
-- May 2007 (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=47558)

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-07-2007 01:20 PM:

May 2007

Too wet to do any real work this weekend other than mulching. I need to get in there and weed, however. I just had too many irons in the fire already.

Onions on the left, then cabbage and beets.

Cabbage, romaine, strawberries and beets in amongst the weeds and doing just grand, actually. English peas on the right with the T-posts driven in the ground to trellis them.

English peas.

Spinach

Five rows of corn that are doing very well.

The cucumber patch. Only one hill in this entire patch didn't produce any plants. We should have plenty of pickles this year again, if dad's back doesn't give out.

Tomatoes and peppers. I put out three yards of cedar mulch this weekend, and dad put cages on the heirloom varieties we planted last week. This is before all that, and I don't think I have a decent picture of this area after the work.

Blackeyed peas and half a row of heirloom tomatoes at the other end on the right that you cannot see in this picture.

Cantaloupes on the left. The little plants sprouting up to the right of them are Hattie beans, an heirloom variety of green beans that some guy sent to dad for us to plant and send back half the crop in seed. They're doing very well. To the right of that is a row of cardoons that Cody planted for dad. To the right of that is the watermelon and pumpkin patch, which is larger than in the past. There's nothing coming through the ground in this picture that I took on Friday. On Sunday there were plants coming up everywhere.

This is the north end of the tomato and pepper patch. Those plants in the middle are dill, sage and fennel. This is also before the mulching.

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
The brotherhood of melon loving will save us all, I am sure of it.

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-07-2007 01:24 PM:

I spent the day Friday puttin a roof on the old chicken pen, formerly a dog pen, so dad could have some layin hens again.

the aforementioned mulch

we couldn't find any grown hens, so we ended up getting pullets. We got four black sex-links, two New Hampshire Reds, two Cinnamon Queens and two Buff Orpingtons.

The pumpkins comin up.

Dad at 80.

quote:

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-08-2007 03:16 AM:

from the Rio Grande Valley, and damn good.

from Burleson, Texas, and even better

quote:

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-14-2007 08:48 PM:

This car was outside the office for a few days, and I developed a crush on it.

Cody and I went driving around yesterday and stopped in at Fair Park where the State Fair is held every year. It's a little odd being there when there are no crowds around.

There was some exhibit there with portions of the Dead Sea Scrolls and other artifacts, among them this 1611 copy of the KJV.

We stopped on our way out of the park and took a tour through the railroad museum.

quote:

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-14-2007 08:52 PM:

not much light in these old trains

to be the biggest locomotive ever it sure didn't have a very big place for the driver to sit

quote:

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-14-2007 09:01 PM:

quote:

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-14-2007 09:09 PM:

I did the tailgate watermelon thing again last night. This was the first one of the year, and the watermelon was actually pretty good.

darlin

quote:

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 05-14-2007 09:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
There was some exhibit there with portions of the Dead Sea Scrolls and other artifacts, among them this 1611 copy of the KJV.

All of which condemn you to the lake of fire I might add.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-28-2007 05:13 PM:

The Monsters of Pot came through town with the Jason Wade Experience last week. On the left is Shane, aka Violator-X and their henchman Alex and then Jeremy Opitz, aka Mushroom Marv.

Jason Wade of Faggot and the Jason Wade Experience

Before the show we stopped at the Comederia El Padrino #2 for dinner.

That's the Jeremy I remember so fondly

Later at the Darkside Lounge in Deep Ellum

quote:

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-28-2007 05:22 PM:

First up was Blood OV, who I think are local. I love doomy, sludgy stuff like this.

Monsters of Pot set up for their show after that. We left right after they played, cuz it was a work night and I was tired as hell.

Jason played a film at the end of the set to their accompaniment.

Violator-X's axe

quote:

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-28-2007 05:44 PM:

Dinner was Pork chops, sauerkraut and corn from last year's garden that dad had put up for me.

The garden has really become overgrown with Johnson grass and Bermuda, but it's putting out like crazy. I made a big crock of sauerkraut this past weekend, and dad canned about fifty jars of beet pickles. Cody and I pulled most of the Johnson grass out of the cabbage and beet rows on Saturday.

The English peas are buried in weeds, but I think they'll still make. I need to go in next weekend and clean all that out.

The spinach is done. I'll mow and till that if it's dry enough.

The corn is another story. It's about to make ears, and it's lookin pretty good.

The cucumbers are starting to run, and we've kept them fairly well weeded. I'll have them mulched next weekend, though we've done about a fifth of the patch with cedar mulch already. I threw the beet tops dad had cut on the front end of the patch for mulch/compost.

quote:

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-28-2007 05:54 PM:

You can really tell the difference in where we've mulched. I wish I had a better source for cedar mulch, and I may have a lead on one out in Palo Pinto county where they sell cedar posts. I'm currently gettin it in Aledo for $32/cubic yard.

The tomatoes and peppers are doing outstanding.

Blackeyed peas and some heirloom tomatoes.

I'll have to weed and mulch the cantaloupe patch next weekend as well.

The heirloom Hattie beans that guy sent dad are doing well.

The pumpkins as well are coming along.

watermelon

The squash we planted last week.

quote:

Posted by loser on 05-28-2007 05:56 PM:

Insert "johnson pulling" joke here.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 05-28-2007 06:18 PM:

The quintessential Mugtoe thread: Freaks, Food, and Fags.

Posted by Pianomahnn on 05-28-2007 07:01 PM:

I'm quite envious of your "garden."

Posted by Rokkr on 05-28-2007 08:04 PM:

One can only hope nothing needs painting at the farm.
A series of photos of paint drying may be more than I can take.

Admin Qualified

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-29-2007 02:20 AM:

I'm planning on painting dad's house at some point. I'll be sure to post hundreds of pics of that in your honor.

quote:

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 05-29-2007 06:42 AM:

Based on that weed crop you are growing there, my guess is that there will be no such thing as paint when you get around to it, you fat homo.

Posted by Mugtoe on 05-29-2007 12:20 PM:

I have to do it in small doses. That's one reason I decided to use mulch this year. I get out there on weekends only, so I have to decide what gets done every weekend and just leave the rest. I need to mow the entire place as well, so that it doesn't end up all looking like the English peas in the garden. It takes a day and a half to do that, but I normally just mow the trees in front of the house to keep it where dad can walk in it. I figure I can weed and mulch a good deal this coming weekend if I don't end up mowing instead. Everything makes regardless of the Johnson grass; it's just prettier and easier to work with without it.

Dad fell outta bed Saturday morning and landed on his head on the floor and was out of it for a good part of the morning, so that ate up some time before I felt good about leaving him alone in the house. He's fine, but he was loopy for a good bit and has a knot on his head. I got him up and canning beets by the afternoon, and aside from being sore all over and not being able to turn his head, he's ship-shape.

The house really does need painting desperately. I don't take as many pictures lately, simply because there's too much to do. That, and I figure everyone has seen enough of my gardens that you pretty much get the idea by now what they look like.

quote:

Posted by fubar on 05-29-2007 04:33 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
This car was outside the office for a few days, and I developed a crush on it.

I bet it was the tailpipe.