Asylum Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 30 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Sensory Overload (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6)
-- inland empire (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=48311)

Posted by dogcow on 08-21-2007 10:34 AM:

inland empire

i saw inland empire last night and it's great. like a symphony is great, not like a movie* would be.

a 3 hour symphony, that is. don’t watch unless you liked mulholland drive, because this one is like mulholland drive on lsd. stories, dream sequences and distorted memories intertwine guided only by lynch’s vision, and he is fucking crazy. that said, he really makes you experience it. i think that’s why his movies work. somehow he hints at how our minds process reality, how we dream and what things we imagine. he drags you into the film it and really transports you to a different place, like all great art does.

*on second thought, maybe movies** as an art form have been misguided by their desire for a good narrative, pretty actors and a nice soundtrack - trying to be all things to all people. maybe this is what film should be in its purest form.

ok, i'm not posting it in the movie thread any more, we need to have a thread on this now.

** but really, it’s that gap between art and entertainment, always. do you want to experience someone else’s vision or do you want to be entertained?

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." ~ Castaneda

Posted by Coincidence on 08-21-2007 12:13 PM:

I have a nice present for you:

http://www.dr.dk/DR2/Den11time/arti...70326120736.htm

You're in the wrnght place.

Posted by dogcow on 08-21-2007 12:27 PM:

it didn't open at work. i'll try it later at home.

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." ~ Castaneda

Posted by paultheo on 08-21-2007 03:41 PM:

Doesn't open here either.

Despite being mad about Lynch since seeing Eraserhead as a boy, I was bored stiff by Mulholland Drivel when it came out. It seemed like Lost Highway (my favourite) without the lsd, like an unispired rehash. And suddenly Lynch is a genius and this is his "masterpiece" and gets an Oscar nomination. Must've been the lesbian sex. I only saw it once. Should I give it a second look? Thanks for reminder dogcow, I'll see Inland Empire next week at rep.

Posted by Coincidence on 08-21-2007 03:55 PM:

For me it opens in a very small window which you then have to full screen.

Posted by dogcow on 08-21-2007 04:29 PM:

that website is horribly broken. try this.

Posted by dogcow on 08-21-2007 04:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by paultheo
I only saw it once. Should I give it a second look? Thanks for reminder dogcow, I'll see Inland Empire next week at rep.

i thought lost highway was pretty bad, so i can't promise you'll change your opinion of m.d. on second viewing.

Posted by Coincidence on 08-21-2007 04:40 PM:

Äußerst merkwürdich.

Posted by dogcow on 08-21-2007 04:56 PM:

that video = awesome. i'm going to look into the whole meditation thing now. have some pernts.

Posted by Coincidence on 08-21-2007 10:21 PM:

Grazie. It's a great show, they should subtitle them all.

Posted by Coincidence on 08-21-2007 10:34 PM:

http://www.dr.dk/DR2/Den11time/arti...70612131224.htm
Interview With Bryan Ferry, the only other subtitled one.

Posted by dogcow on 08-22-2007 06:17 PM:

no one wants to comment on art vs entertainment?

Posted by Smug Git on 08-22-2007 07:32 PM:

I like films that look great but nothing really happens. Lost in Translation being an example.

Is that art?

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by dogcow on 08-22-2007 07:38 PM:

i liked it too. i think it's a graceful mixture of both.

Posted by dogcow on 08-22-2007 07:46 PM:

but, while we're at it. why did you like it?

Posted by Smug Git on 08-22-2007 08:14 PM:

Primarily because it looked great and nothing really happened. It was a series of bits linked by the presence of the same people but you could add more in or take some away and it would still have been cool. In the same way that the characters were both disconnected from the rest of their lives, the film was disconnected from the contemporaneous cinema; the film itself is a vignette, consisting of vignettes.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by paultheo on 08-22-2007 09:04 PM:

so why doesn't Marie Antoinette satisfy? (of course, maybe for you it does...)

Posted by dogcow on 08-22-2007 09:39 PM:

i'd be interested to know why you didn't like it; if it was the whole movie or did some parts work for you and which were they and why.

Posted by dogcow on 08-23-2007 08:36 AM:

uh, that transcendental meditation thing does sound interesting but, apparently, it should only be taught by a certified teacher and they charge you about 4000 eur for this wonderful spiritual experience.

Posted by paultheo on 08-23-2007 12:27 PM:

art vs entertainment vs history.

Marie Antoinette.
Oh i liked it. I couldn't not enjoy watching Kirsten dress up for 2 hours. The anachronistic mise-en-scene, soundtrack and acting all made sense to me. The array of incongruous accents didn't distract me. I wasn't distressed by the lack of history or the unbeneficial diversions from accepted events, and I did not feel cheated by not seeing her head roll. There were many great moments. I enjoy and admire Sofia's vignette style, sparse plotting and fragile subjects. Here the subject is ennui. I experienced that ennui fully, but somehow only as a present, detached courtier and never as Marie Antionette.

Posted by Coincidence on 08-23-2007 03:00 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by dogcow
uh, that transcendental meditation thing does sound interesting but, apparently, it should only be taught by a certified teacher and they charge you about 4000 eur for this wonderful spiritual experience.

The rich people need it, you don't.

Posted by paultheo on 08-23-2007 05:57 PM:

They always try on that guru line with 'new' spiritual/health crazes. Most people won't do anything without somebody kicking them up the arse. Yet here they need someone looking over them while they do NOTHINGATALL. Just buy the cd and book and glasses and special outfit and yantra and cushion and mandala and candles and magic wand and stickers and false beard and get on with it.

Posted by dogcow on 08-23-2007 06:04 PM:

well, i've done the common (i think) kind of meditation but this is apparently different in some way so i was curious to see what it's like. i may have to consult the internets now, and steal their secret techniques.

Posted by dogcow on 08-23-2007 06:13 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by paultheo
art vs entertainment vs history.

Marie Antoinette.
Oh i liked it. I couldn't not enjoy watching Kirsten dress up for 2 hours. The anachronistic mise-en-scene, soundtrack and acting all made sense to me. The array of incongruous accents didn't distract me. I wasn't distressed by the lack of history or the unbeneficial diversions from accepted events, and I did not feel cheated by not seeing her head roll. There were many great moments. I enjoy and admire Sofia's vignette style, sparse plotting and fragile subjects. Here the subject is ennui. I experienced that ennui fully, but somehow only as a present, detached courtier and never as Marie Antionette.

yeah, i think she tried to portray her as an everyday kind of girl, trapped both in her situation and in that day and age (and also in a weird, hybrid movie), but i can't say it mashed too well. i think it worked well enough as a film but, as you say, not so good in trying to show us the real marie.

Posted by paultheo on 10-15-2007 10:36 PM:

hey dogcow, i finally got round to rewatching Mulholland Drive. Well I think I got it this time, same as I think I got it the first time, but i'm still not really getting it, if you get me. I mean, I really enjoyed it — on a symphonic level, as you suggested — there are so many brilliant individual scenes/moments — but I don't much care for the narrative which seems strangely linear to me. Then there comes a moment when it becomes impossible not to compare with Lost Highway. And I'm in the minority that thinks that LH did it far better.

Anyway, I've resolved issues with it, and now I am clear to go and see Inland Empire.