Asylum Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 30 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Asylum Book Club (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=21)
-- This is not much of a book club (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=50403)

Posted by Lantana on 06-17-2008 11:41 PM:

This is not much of a book club

My two cents fellas:

1. This is no way to run a book club.

2. I would suggest two things: a) get more organized with a book of the month program (or short story of the week program) where members read the assigned book/story for further discussion; and b) talk about individual authors or books per thread. The above don't have to be forum-run. Individuals can start their own book of the month. So, for example, I could start a thread on the book "Sense and Sensibility" and ask others to join me.

3. No one wants a book club forum that veers off topic, like a lot of the threads on this forum. I came here for literature discussions and dammit, that's ALL I want!

I'm sorry for being so blunt given my newbie status. Just my observations.

Thanks, mate!

Posted by SocialParasite on 06-17-2008 11:43 PM:

Thanks for your cuntribution!

Posted by Lantana on 06-17-2008 11:44 PM:

You're welcum.

Posted by <clever name> on 06-17-2008 11:48 PM:

Have you maybe tried to find a literature forum?
You might have better luck.

**Not fixing my spelling errors before or after 9pm**

Posted by Lantana on 06-18-2008 12:06 AM:

I belong to two different lit forums. Actually, I'm a regular member of a half dozen forums, mostly general off-topic stuff and one art forum. I'm getting bored with a couple of them and went hunting for another one and landed here via a forum directory. It seemed interesting...at first. Now, I'm not too sure. This forum is like a whole bunch of other forums populated by teeny-boppers or 20-somethings who can't utter a paragraph without some smack words/phrases thrown in. I'm kinda sick of them, actually.

Posted by SocialParasite on 06-18-2008 12:16 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Lantana
I'm a snooty cunt whose ideal night is spent feeding my three hundred cats.

Posted by mmmtravis on 06-18-2008 12:43 AM:

I like to think we're at least 10-15% more witty than most other "forums populated by teeny-boppers or 20-somethings who can't utter a paragraph without some smack words/phrases thrown in."

I mean, not me personally or anything, just by and large.

picture unrelated

Posted by Fiend on 06-18-2008 05:04 AM:

mmmtravis you won't give that shithole Vegas his due. yet Lantana seems to be an expectional cunt for all her forums she's part of.
how many times can we say how wrong she is?

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Posted by ignatz mouse on 06-18-2008 06:47 AM:

1) Nobody wants a Welcome-thread-loving idiot-noob telling them how to run their forum.

2) If you want to start a discussion about a book, read a book and start a thread.

Posted by Coincidence on 06-18-2008 01:09 PM:

She's right though. Not that it matters on this forum. Errr biatch.

You're in the wrnght place.

Posted by Goedile on 07-23-2008 11:50 PM:

You'd find a website like Goodreads far more useful than forum hopping and hoping for the gem of sterile, mature conduct.

The world is divided into two kinds of people: hedgehogs and foxes. Hedgehogs know one big thing. Foxes know many little things.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 07-23-2008 11:59 PM:

I have always thought of this as more of a "book truncheon" actually.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will ultimately be enslaved by those who did not.

Posted by Mordecai on 07-24-2008 12:29 AM:

I think this thing was Ed G under a different cognomen.

-m

-m

Posted by Gunstar_Hobo on 09-05-2008 05:11 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Coincidence
She's right though. Not that it matters on this forum. Errr biatch.

Haha never noticed before but it actually says

Asylum Book Club
Scheduled group reads and general book discussion. [Bookclub]

I'd be down with something like that. As long as SSimon can't suggest any of those crazy sci-fi/fantasy books he finds at flea markets.

Coin - Make the first thread. Something you haven't read before maybe? I trust your judgement.

Happiness is not recognizing anyone on the magazine covers.

Posted by SimpleSimon on 09-05-2008 05:32 AM:

Look to Smug for the fantasy reccomendations. Science fiction I do enjoy.

I'll reccomend two books, though:

A Town Like Alice, by Nevil Shute. A true classic in its own way, it is probably one of the best novels written in the last century.

The Hot Zone , by Richard Preston. Fascinating and horrifying by turns, it just might make you think.

Posted by Fiend on 09-08-2008 06:42 AM:

simon before you die, listen to ssimon about well about anything.

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Posted by Fiend on 09-08-2008 06:43 AM:

the hot zone isn't fantasy sadly. the cobra event is his fantasy workings

Posted by Fiend on 09-08-2008 06:45 AM:

The Hot Zone was true.

Posted by Fiend on 09-08-2008 06:49 AM:

there are three points of ebola

Posted by Mordecai on 09-08-2008 08:03 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Gunstar_Hobo
Haha never noticed before but it actually says

Asylum Book Club
Scheduled group reads and general book discussion. [Bookclub]

I'd be down with something like that.

That was the original idea, before anyone realized that organizing this group into doing anything of the sort was far less useful and likely than herding cats. After that, it just became the book forum.

I think it's generally better that way, and fuck the random cunt who wandered in and made a sole contribution of saying 'this sucks', because that's on the level with canadian criticism of america(stupid and hypocritical).

-m

-m

Posted by Vegas on 09-08-2008 12:26 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mordecai
That was the original idea, before anyone realized that organizing this group into doing anything of the sort was far less useful and likely than herding cats. After that, it just became the book forum.

I think it's generally better that way, and fuck the random cunt who wandered in and made a sole contribution of saying 'this sucks', because that's on the level with canadian criticism of america(stupid and hypocritical).

-m

We could try and start a real book club. Everyone gets to pick a book for all of us to read. I promise not to pick a business book if Crika promises not to pick Axler and Fiend promises to not post unless sober.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Posted by Coincidence on 09-08-2008 02:36 PM:

The Helmet of Horror by Victor Pelevin is relevant and a fast read.

You're in the wrnght place.

Posted by Mordecai on 09-08-2008 05:00 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Vegas
We could try and start a real book club. Everyone gets to pick a book for all of us to read. I promise not to pick a business book if Crika promises not to pick Axler and Fiend promises to not post unless sober.

We did that, when the forum first opened, we even ordered the books(Brave New World) through an amazon partner thingy so the board would get some kickbacks and it died a terrible apathetic death on the first attempt, of which I will own up to my own part, as I don't think I contributed a lot. I think there was an attempt at a second book which got as far as a half dozen posts.

I think just being a forum dedicated to our reading and whatnot is far better suited to the asylum.

That said, if you want to have a go at it, post a thread, a poll, whatever and I'll sticky it for you(haha, like that is necessary) but I suggest you dig up the original attempt and try to examine why it failed first.

-m

-m

Posted by Mugtoe on 09-08-2008 05:32 PM:

I read Brave New World, dammit.

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
The brotherhood of melon loving will save us all, I am sure of it.

Posted by Mordecai on 09-08-2008 05:43 PM:

As did I, I just failed to offer any commentary.

Structure, we're not so good at it.

-m

-m