Asylum Forums Pages (36): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » ... Last »
Show all 881 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Polėticās der Mondé (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18)
-- Obamacare Debate (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=54319)

Posted by tigerjez on 03-22-2010 12:13 AM:

Obamacare Debate

Good grief.

I'm watching the activities on the Hill, and it looks this thing is going to pass. I really don't know what to think about all of this, but as near as I can tell, the House is presently voting on:

1. The (Slaughter) Rule - aka the "deem and pass" procedure

Louise Slaughter (D-NY) advocated this procedure, that has been used before, to allow the House to "deem" the bill that passed the Senate (Christmas Eve?) on straight party lines as passed... then just vote on changes they want to it and send it back to the Senate (and President) to be ratified.

No actual Congressman has to claim they voted for the Senate Bill when it subsequently blows up and/or bankrupts us or they face angry folk in November elections.

There's a lot of yelling about this being unconstitutional, but at least 1 defense of the procedure has been made: http://mediamatters.org/research/201003170001

2. The Senate Bill (as unchanged)

This is the $871B - $1T bill having a bunch of feel-good happy provisions and the federal funds for abortion, the cornhusker kickback, and (wtf) are student loan regulations doing in there?

And:

3. The House Reconciliation Bill - presumably fixing some of the problems, more outright pork, with the Senate Bill.

Here is a pretty good side-by-side comparison of the bills I found:

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upl...ebill_final.pdf

The catch as I understand it, though, is that per the 1974 Budget Act, if any of the provisions affect Social Security budget, then entire bill is invalid. So, the outcome may be that it's the de facto Senate Bill we get?

I just don't know what to think about all of this...

"You people with your fancy lawyers and courthouses think the Lady of Justice is blind? Down here on the street, the Bitch got eyes."

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-22-2010 12:37 AM:

Live stream.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/2113454...966604#35966604

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Posted by billgerat on 03-22-2010 05:46 AM:

Re: Obamacare Debate

quote:
Originally posted by tigerjez
Good grief.

I'm watching the activities on the Hill, and it looks this thing is going to pass. I really don't know what to think about all of this, but as near as I can tell, the House is presently voting on:

1. The (Slaughter) Rule - aka the "deem and pass" procedure

Louise Slaughter (D-NY) advocated this procedure, that has been used before, to allow the House to "deem" the bill that passed the Senate (Christmas Eve?) on straight party lines as passed... then just vote on changes they want to it and send it back to the Senate (and President) to be ratified.

No actual Congressman has to claim they voted for the Senate Bill when it subsequently blows up and/or bankrupts us or they face angry folk in November elections.

There's a lot of yelling about this being unconstitutional, but at least 1 defense of the procedure has been made: http://mediamatters.org/research/201003170001

2. The Senate Bill (as unchanged)

This is the $871B - $1T bill having a bunch of feel-good happy provisions and the federal funds for abortion, the cornhusker kickback, and (wtf) are student loan regulations doing in there?

And:

3. The House Reconciliation Bill - presumably fixing some of the problems, more outright pork, with the Senate Bill.

Here is a pretty good side-by-side comparison of the bills I found:

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upl...ebill_final.pdf

The catch as I understand it, though, is that per the 1974 Budget Act, if any of the provisions affect Social Security budget, then entire bill is invalid. So, the outcome may be that it's the de facto Senate Bill we get?

I just don't know what to think about all of this...

Why, welcome back! Hopefully when you figure out what you think about it all, you will have a more intelligent and rational response than the T_T Mental Freakout Show.

"Republicans: the party that brought us 'Just Say No.' First as a drug policy, then as their entire platform." -Stephen Colbert -

Posted by euphorbia on 03-22-2010 11:32 PM:

Re: Re: Obamacare Debate

quote:
Originally posted by billgerat
Why, welcome back! Hopefully when you figure out what you think about it all, you will have a more intelligent and rational response than the T_T Mental Freakout Show.

respect your betters.

quote:

This is one of tools that will be used from what I understand. there are many though. There is so much in this pile of puke of a bill that is unlawful it should be highly amusing to watch it burn.
Maybe a few spoiled complacent self entitled Americans that voted for these cunts can learn a little about the constitution and why it is important to protect the minority from the majority by championing the individual's worth in the process.

taste the fucking rainbow & dont touch my junk.

Posted by Paint CHiPs on 03-24-2010 11:27 PM:

So, how's all that working out for you guys? Seems they had an up-or-down vote on the Senate and the reconciliation package, and the representatives who represent over 65% of America (I guess that's the "few spoiled complacent self entitled Americans" part), that are pretty happy about it incidentally, went on record. Turns out that the procedural ram-rodding was less extreme than it was for, say, Medicare D (which the current minority ram-rodded through as their chief conservative contribution to the health care debate in America in the last 25 years and which is, ironically, nothing but a social entitlement expansion meant to buy off seniors). Be interesting to see the constitutional challenge though. Anybody want to guess if conservative-appointed judges are interested in overturning interstate commerce? Taking bets?

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-27-2012 11:03 PM:

This was all a Republican idea back in the day.
This video in the link is worth watching.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...n-scorn/6ylk6ui

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 03-13-2013 04:45 PM:

Shocking news...not. Who could see this coming? Oh wait, me.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posted by billgerat on 03-13-2013 09:48 PM:

When you can come up with a non-partisan source, come back and see us. Until then, shut up.

"Republicans: the party that brought us 'Just Say No.' First as a drug policy, then as their entire platform." -Stephen Colbert -

Posted by SimpleSimon on 03-13-2013 10:57 PM:

Source: Joint Committee on Taxation Estimates, prepared by Ways and Means Committee Staff

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-17-2013 04:58 PM:

The bottom line is that if it doesn't hit home then no one cares.
To many they see a rise in what's taken out of their paychecks and they would be right to complain. But opinions on why it's being done seems to be mixed.
What's mind blowing to me are those on the right that sees this on their paycheck. Because their answer it seems is to eliminate Obamacare and go back to our system.....of seeing their health care premiums go up every fiscal year.
I don't like that this is a private insurance win.
I do like that there are supposed to be spending caps.
But I don't like that they can legally go around this and make the middle class suffer even more.
At this point in time I happen to like Herman Cain's 999 plan.
Because it beats the hell out of our current 25/15/0 plan or however the hell it is.
We get rid of all tax breaks including breaks married couples make all the way down to religious organizations and eliminate subsidies to corporations making record profits then maybe this Obamacare wouldn't be asking so much out of the middle class.
How does this hit home for me? Those that have paid any attention should know.
I just want to be my own man and pay for my health care. Not wait to be qualified for Medicare.
So why am I suddenly in the group with moochers?
Because that's the difference it seems with Liberals and Conservatives.
Generally Liberals would judge the individual on their worth.
While Conservatives seem to judge an entire group by their worth.
The gays. The Liberals. The Atheists. The Moochers.
Yes many Liberals judge groups too. But I seem to see more Conservatives do this.
Because they always seem to start with an argument with "You Liberals".

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by SimpleSimon on 03-17-2013 09:10 PM:

And your fat Liberal ass just made judgment on an entire group.

Feel better now?

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 03-17-2013 10:21 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by billgerat
When you can come up with a non-partisan source, come back and see us. Until then, shut up.

Yeah the source changes the facts. Don't be such a tool.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 03-17-2013 10:25 PM:

LF, everyone's healthcare costs are still going up, only faster and by more since the passage of Obamacare. It's gonna get a whole lot worse too, as is the quality of care people receive. Just watch.

Posted by DRZ on 03-17-2013 10:36 PM:

T_T, do you have any idea how much you 9 month stay in hospital cost?

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 03-17-2013 10:37 PM:

You don't want to know.

Posted by DRZ on 03-17-2013 10:46 PM:

I'm actually very interested, are you able to tell us a ball-park figure?

I ask, because I know damn well it's going to be shocking amount.

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-17-2013 10:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleSimon
And your fat Liberal ass just made judgment on an entire group.

Feel better now?

Actually I do. But notice my use of words SS. I used Generally speaking and my opinion of the matter.
I didn't try to make a factual statement out of an opinion which is another thing I've noticed is done pretty often on the right.
So generally speaking it is my opinion only.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-17-2013 11:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Trenchant_Troll
LF, everyone's healthcare costs are still going up, only faster and by more since the passage of Obamacare. It's gonna get a whole lot worse too, as is the quality of care people receive. Just watch.

I don't disagree. Because there's no competition.
Like there would have been if we adopted a public option.
The bottom line is we pay doctors more in this country than in any other country. And we are okay with it because they have a huge student loan bill.
Because we allow crony capitalism to invade our nation.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 03-17-2013 11:03 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by DRZ
I'm actually very interested, are you able to tell us a ball-park figure?

I ask, because I know damn well it's going to be shocking amount.

I would guess that it's between US$500-600 thousand. Possibly even more.

Posted by Large Filipino on 03-17-2013 11:08 PM:

I'm glad your getting that straightened out Troll.
This is the question I ask myself every day.
If we did absolutely nothing and let our system run with the constant
increases in health care premiums every fiscal year would we be better of in ten years then under Obamacare?
Because my opinion and speculation only but I see very few insured if we do nothing at all.
The very idea that employers will get tax breaks for insuring their workers should be enough to endorse this policy.
And that's just one benefit.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by DRZ on 03-17-2013 11:09 PM:

~$2100 a day, that's not *that* bad. I honest thought it's be way over a million.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 03-17-2013 11:21 PM:

It very well could be, DRZ.

Posted by SimpleSimon on 03-18-2013 05:49 AM:

Probably a low estimate, Troll. 5+ months in ICU? Hell, 6 days in hospital (no ICU) in December last year cost $45K here. Just one of the damned antibiotics ran $1,500 per dose.

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 03-18-2013 05:56 AM:

Yep, could be well over a million, who knows?

Posted by Mister Freign on 03-19-2013 02:55 AM:

I've forgone care a lot more often than opting for suggested therapies because I don't have the money and can't accept the casual debt-generation that others in my position find it necessary to do. I'm lucky to be able to that (no dependents) and anomalous in having survived it this long. If I were a parent with the same set of problems, I'd be long dead. I've watched men make that choice more times than I can count. There's a look that goes with it - it's grave, and angelic, even on the face of the most execrable lowlife scion of wealth - the modern world forces us to choose whether to try to live, or let our children have hopes of their own.

Pretty sweet that we get to think of responsibility to others at all, compared to some nations, but unnecessary and shockingly cruel when judged against nations of comparable wealth and access.