Asylum Forums
Show all 13 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- WIT - Whore Institute of Technology (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Hate smartphones. Need a couple android apps (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=56599)

Posted by mudded on 10-03-2011 09:14 PM:

Hate smartphones. Need a couple android apps

I am feeling the need to take a reluctant plunge into the GSM smartphone market.

My needs are as follows:
1) I want the ability to silence my phone based on my weekly schedule. Something like this
2) I want some kind of calender/alarm app where the phone alerts me to scheduled events.
3) Send/receive calls and text messages.
4) No mobile internet needed, although Wifi capable would be nice.

Any recommendations for budget-to-mid Tier options?

Can I plop an old SIM card into a smartphone and retain basic call/text functionality?

Cheers
-m

Posted by Large Filipino on 10-03-2011 10:50 PM:

Blackberry. Some would disagree but I like the keyboard and I like the SIM card access. As a bonus it also has a mini sd card port to extend your storage. These things many full touch phones like the iPhone don't have.

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Posted by Cockney_Rebel on 10-05-2011 08:00 AM:

I have a 16 gig iphone4 and already I'm finding that 16 gig is just not enough for what I want. I guess I was sucked in by the beauty of the thing and I'm now starting to see the suck. Not a major suck though as it's still an amazing piece of technology.

I got the phone a few weeks ago and yesterday they launched the iphone 4s.

meh

Posted by Dacarlo on 10-05-2011 02:33 PM:

This question has but one answer.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsu...le-Phone_review

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Moderator

Posted by retroguy_fawkes on 10-22-2011 02:52 AM:

I have the first run of the Samsung Galaxy. Pretty awesome, and reliable. My only complaint is that left on for awhile, even with little use it gets a little slow, or will have some glitches.

As far as useful apps all that you said you needed are included. If you're into Facebook, ditch the app that comes with it, and get Friendcaster, and GoChat. I use MP3 downloader too, and it can find any song. WiFi checker if you're not at home. Also get Tune-In Radio if you need random music.

As far for the SIM card I don't see one in my phone. Only the SD card slot.

"Terrorism has gone too far! Attacking America's food courts." - Deadpool

Posted by Large Filipino on 10-22-2011 04:13 AM:

SIM cards rule because it's easy to buy replacement phones without waiting for your plan to be up for one. Just pull that SIM card from your old phone to your new phone and your number and address book and even some games (but not all) are transferred to your new phone.
I may never do a touch phone because I'm old school. I like the feel of real buttons. And with my Blackberry I can send pics to FB and pretty much everything else any other touch phone can do.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by skalie on 10-22-2011 04:18 AM:

Bollocks, couldn't upload my phone numbers from a sim card without "jailbreaking" my iPhone.

.. or didn't know how.

Posted by retroguy_fawkes on 10-22-2011 04:39 AM:

I had a Blackberry Storm when they first came out. My experience with it was shit to say the least. I haven't trusted RIM since. When I broke it the sim card came in handy. I also backed up all my contacts on laptop, so when I upgraded to the phone I have now it was a simple plug in, copy paste into this one. Real buttons are something I can't really go back to now. I've gotten so used to touch screen, and having a ton of keyboard options, like holding a key and getting all of the alts for it.

Android > iphone or Blackberry anyday.

I feel a lot of freedom with this OS even if it isn't jailbroken. The android software learns from you. Like auto corrects your common spelling mistakes, and will bump the words you use more up on the correction list, adding words to the dictionary on the fly. Hell, the voice commands even learn how you talk, and makes less mistakes the more you use it.

With all this praise I have to give it at least one gripe, that I think happens with all smart phones, but is annoying. When you are in an area with a strong electromagnetic feild the phone will hit the back, and home buttons at random.

How did I find this?

Grandmas's house has a high electromagnetic feild, my house doesn't. So when I'm visiting I know that using my phone will be frustrating. It kills my uncles' phones as well.

"Terrorism has gone too far! Attacking America's food courts." - Deadpool

Posted by Large Filipino on 10-22-2011 05:13 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by skalie
Bollocks, couldn't upload my phone numbers from a sim card without "jailbreaking" my iPhone.

.. or didn't know how.

Of course it would have to be a compatible phone.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Posted by Rokkr on 10-27-2011 09:50 AM:

I have a Downes syndrome telephone.

Admin Qualified

Posted by Coincidence on 10-27-2011 10:13 AM:

Being a tourist greatly increased my want for a smartphone. Better never travel again.

You're in the wrnght place.

Posted by Dacarlo on 11-03-2011 12:13 AM:

My un-smart phone is held together by sticky labels.

Me no afford a smart phone

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Moderator

Posted by Cockney_Rebel on 11-17-2011 09:49 PM:

Make meth.