Asylum Forums Pages (245): « First ... « 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 » ... Last »
Show all 6101 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Sensory Overload (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6)
-- What Cinematic Endeavor Did You Just Revel In? (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=56104)

Posted by bacidath on 09-30-2011 11:12 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Coincidence
Devil.

Nice little b-thriller.
I actually preferred the stuff outside the elevator. There's nothing like a bunch of honest guys milling around in a skyscraper, trying to solve an unsolvable problem. 7/10

really...? dont tell me you didnt figure it out once you saw the players...based on who wrote the damn story

Posted by Coincidence on 10-03-2011 04:13 PM:

Unsolvable, meaning the guys outside the elevator had little hope of affecting what happened. Guess it's like a disaster movie in that way. The Towering Inferno, but with evil.

As for guessing the bad guy, there's no way to certain during the movie. It's all a matter of weighing probabilities after considering hints in the movie and metastuff like the screenwriter's history. To a certain extent, it's a futile exercise, and I consider people who claim to early have been sure about the killer - and stuck with that person throughout the movie - to be suffering from self-delusion and false memory. But I'll make an exception in your case.

You're in the wrnght place.

Posted by Coincidence on 10-03-2011 04:34 PM:

The Men Who Stare at Goats

Le meh. Yet another movie that should have been made in another decade. I had some hopes for the cast, but they all play annoying people. 6/10

Posted by Tefl on 10-03-2011 04:47 PM:

I liked that movie. It had it's meh moments but it was a fun flick. I've read the book by Jon Ronson, seen the BBC documentary about it called "Crazy Rulers of the World," and listened to severzal interviews with Jim Channon. Heck, I even have a copy of the First Earth Battalion operations manual. It's all wacky fun.

Posted by ignatz mouse on 10-03-2011 06:51 PM:

I enjoyed it, too, even though I can't say I thought it was "good". It was very uneven. I felt the inspired lunacy outweighed the meh.

Posted by Brett on 10-04-2011 01:54 AM:

I think my only problem with Men Who Stare At Goats is that Ewan McGregor can't do an American accent; especially a Southern one.

Posted by Coincidence on 10-04-2011 10:44 AM:

Warning: Liberal bleeding heart PC rant.
It all left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think you can be a cynic about US war intelligence and transport that cynicism over to victims of that intelligence. There's just a cloud of desensitization over the entire movie, apparently with just one motive: Get well-educated cynics chuckling at the insanity they passively support every day, be it torture, animal cruelty, war crimes, state-sponsored occultism or murder. Ho ho, you only paid for all this, I can see why you need to wash it down with LSD.

Posted by Tefl on 10-04-2011 05:46 PM:

Personally, I think the film should not have been done as a comedy. It is at it's heart a horror story about the perversion of self-discovery & universal truths for diabolical means.

Posted by Tefl on 10-05-2011 05:20 AM:

I watched one of my all-time favorites again, Bubba Ho-Tep. It gets better everytime I see it.

I have to find a copy of that book. It's been on my to-read list for too long.

Posted by Tefl on 10-07-2011 04:28 AM:

Thanks to Fawkes mentioning of the flick, Zero Day, I just watched it. Maybe I'm just too jaded but I didn't give a damn throughout the entire film. The two main characters where just overpriveleged selfish whiney bastards and I kept finding myself saying over and over, "I don't care. Shut up. Get on with it."

There was about a minute of the film that peaked my interest and that was the rampage itself but even that died out quickly. By the end I actually said to the screen "Just shoot yourself already so this shit will end." But it didn't, it just dragged on.

One star for the shooting, the rest is just meh.

Posted by retroguy_fawkes on 10-07-2011 08:35 PM:

You were out of high school before Columbine, right?

Everyone my age who has watched it was scared to death. I was hoping they would back out, and those screams at the end are just chilling.

"Terrorism has gone too far! Attacking America's food courts." - Deadpool

Posted by retroguy_fawkes on 10-07-2011 09:16 PM:

Free Epix preview for the weekend, and I just watched Shutter Island.

Drew me with the old detective story, and freaked me out with the crazy side.
"Tag your it!"
Jumped out of my skin.

Posted by Tefl on 10-08-2011 01:55 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by retroguy_fawkes
You were out of high school before Columbine, right?

Everyone my age who has watched it was scared to death. I was hoping they would back out, and those screams at the end are just chilling.

Oh yeah, I was outta highschool for about six years when that happened. We have had shootings before so it wasn't like it was anything new. (If you research it they go back to into the 1800's and even well before that.) They just used it as an excuse to clamp down on the kids and funnel a fuckton of cash to the teachers unions and pork barrel school construction projects. Just more made up hysteria bullshit really. One more step in creating lockstep children, raised to follow orders, and living in constant manufactured fear.

The only part of the flick I enjoyed was the killing. I cheered them on for about a minute there until it got dull again. As for that screamer under the table, I said to the screen, "Shut that fucking bitch up." and then pow, he did. It gave me a smirk.

Posted by retroguy_fawkes on 10-08-2011 02:39 AM:

Note to self: Tefl might be a serial killer, or a really good detective. Same difference.

Posted by Tefl on 10-08-2011 02:45 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by retroguy_fawkes
Note to self: Tefl might be a serial killer, or a really good detective. Same difference.

I'm a cereal killer. A box of peanut butter captain crunch doesn't stand a chance against me.

Posted by SimpleSimon on 10-08-2011 02:57 AM:

The primary effect of school shooting sprees has been to "justify" an ever increasing police presence, and an ever-growing authoritarian regime in the schools. When I was a kid, we never, ever saw a cop in the grade schools except "Officer Friendly" types. In high school it was much the same, although on two occasions the county mounties ran drug dogs through the halls, sniffing at lockers. First time they found some pot, but couldn't prove whose it was. Second time the dope dog went nuts at a locker door they popped the locker open and set off an aerosol canister filled with ammonia and concentrated skunk oil. The dog went out of business thereafter, and they couldn't prove a damned thing about the "perpetrators".

On any given day there were at least a couple dozen people packing pistols, and the school had a "Rod & Gun Club" with a firing range out alongside the football field. If a couple of misfit geeks with delusions of martyrdom had started shooting, there would have been people shooting back.

No cops, no metal detectors, no transparent book bags, many local redneck type kids well armed, and we never had a weapon pulled in the school. When the cops with their drug dog showed up the first time at a "mandatory student assembly", about 70 of us got up and walked out - including the student body president and 3 of the 4 class representatives. There were only 6 cops and a couple administrators, they couldn't stop us.

Fuck acclimatization to authority.

Posted by SimpleSimon on 10-08-2011 03:02 AM:

Oh yeah - just watched a somewhat fun film Troll Hunter done in the hand-held poorly lighted style, but treating its subject seriously enough to make that non-objectionable. Not great art, but very watchable.

7.8/10

Posted by Brett on 10-08-2011 05:17 AM:

Hesher

just watched. Pretty good. Kind of odd that I hadn't heard of Joseph Gordon-Levitt in about a good decade, but he's been in every other film out there for the past 2 or 3 years.

Posted by bacidath on 10-08-2011 05:19 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Coincidence
Unsolvable, meaning the guys outside the elevator had little hope of affecting what happened. Guess it's like a disaster movie in that way. The Towering Inferno, but with evil.

As for guessing the bad guy, there's no way to certain during the movie. It's all a matter of weighing probabilities after considering hints in the movie and metastuff like the screenwriter's history. To a certain extent, it's a futile exercise, and I consider people who claim to early have been sure about the killer - and stuck with that person throughout the movie - to be suffering from self-delusion and false memory. But I'll make an exception in your case.

I watched it with my sister and her husband because they said it was awesome... I said I bet you tonight's beer that the "bad guy "is. *****. She said how can you know before the movie even starts?.... I told her because of the writer... Ended the night with free beer and dinner. Sister and her dude watch anything even remotely related to mnightdingdong

Posted by CRSR on 10-08-2011 06:10 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Brett

hadn't heard of Joseph Gordon-Levitt in about a good decade,

He's been making indie films ever since leaving 3rd rock, the only difference now is more people are watching indie films. He's also a great actor who Hollywood is also starting to notice.
if you missed these you should really check them out:
Mysterious Skin (2004)
Brick (2005)
The Lookout (2007)
Killshot (2008)

Posted by avert_your_eyes on 10-08-2011 10:29 PM:

brick was straight forward!

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem first make sure you are not, in fact, surrounded by assholes"

William Gibson

Posted by CRSR on 10-09-2011 12:56 AM:

is that the same thing as "streets ahead"?

Posted by avert_your_eyes on 10-09-2011 11:42 AM:

It's an idiom in german, but just don't open your coniferforrest dwelling self for cosmopolitical influences, new world kretin.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem first make sure you are not, in fact, surrounded by assholes"

William Gibson

Posted by Coincidence on 10-09-2011 12:43 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by bacidath
I watched it with my sister and her husband because they said it was awesome... I said I bet you tonight's beer that the "bad guy "is. *****. She said how can you know before the movie even starts?.... I told her because of the writer... Ended the night with free beer and dinner. Sister and her dude watch anything even remotely related to mnightdingdong

Grats, but I'm just saying, you can't have been 100% sure all through the movie.

Posted by CRSR on 10-09-2011 05:12 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by avert_your_eyes
It's an idiom in german, but just don't open your coniferforrest dwelling self for cosmopolitical influences, new world kretin.

you understand that your idiom means "with no hitch" , "underrated puzzle", 'easy" in english?
"Straight forward!" find a new one.