Asylum Forums Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » ... Last »
Show all 431 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- The Lost Forum (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- Your Favorite Quotes (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=41486)

Posted by Vegas on 05-24-2005 10:45 PM:

Your Favorite Quotes

I just searched the forums and found very few quotes threads, most of which contain the same humorous quotes. I'm looking for some good ones for my friend who just graduated from college. So post your favorites here, both serious and humorous.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Posted by Hawley Griffin on 05-24-2005 10:47 PM:

"when all fails, suicide succeeds"

"too many people have opinions on things they know nothting about. and the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
-euphorbia

Posted by Azrael on 05-24-2005 11:00 PM:

Its because we keep all the decent quotes as our sigs.

Most people don't feel the need to make a useless thread about it...

Wow this is awkward.

Go home Vegas.

Posted by loser on 05-24-2005 11:10 PM:

"all I know is that i know nothing"
-some Greek guy, maybe.

Posted by J E B Stuart on 05-24-2005 11:12 PM:

Vegas, here's one that's stuck with me for quite a while:

"She got even in a way that was almost cruel. She forgave them." Ralph McGill on Eleanor Roosevelt.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Posted by cw on 05-24-2005 11:37 PM:

Watching the quotes in my sig rotate kills time.

Posted by J E B Stuart on 05-25-2005 12:05 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by cw
Watching the quotes in my sig rotate kills time.

May I quote you on that?

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Posted by Bene Gesserit on 05-25-2005 07:23 AM:

the composition of tragedy requires testicles

What do you hate? By this you are known.

Posted by Bluexy on 05-25-2005 07:32 AM:

Blood alone moves the wheels of history - Benito Mussolini

Posted by Goedile on 05-25-2005 07:34 AM:

Liberty and Freedom are complex concepts. They go back to religious ideas of Free Will and are related to the Ruler Mystique implicit in absolute monarchs. Without absolute monarchs patterned after the Old Gods and ruling by the grace of a belief in religious indulgence, Liberty and Freedom would never have gained their present meaning. These ideals owe their very existence to past examples of oppression. And the forces that maintain such ideas will erode unless renewed by dramatic teaching or new oppressions.

The world is divided into two kinds of people: hedgehogs and foxes. Hedgehogs know one big thing. Foxes know many little things.

Posted by Thimbles worth of opinion on 05-25-2005 07:39 AM:

"This was not a boating accident!" - Some guy in some movie

My nipples are asymetrical... and that's a feature not a bug.

Posted by Dacarlo on 05-25-2005 12:19 PM:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Main_Page

"Never memorize something you can look up." - Albert Einstein

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Moderator

Posted by Trenchant_Troll on 05-25-2005 03:17 PM:

"Hey, I can drive." ~ Edward Kennedy

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will ultimately be enslaved by those who did not.

Posted by Smug Git on 05-25-2005 04:04 PM:

Arthur Eddington: 'We have found a strange footprint on the shores of the unknown. We have devised profound theories, one after another, to account for its origins. At last, we have succeeded in reconstructing the creature that made the footprint. And lo! It is our own.'

Victor Borges: 'Through the years, a man peoples a space with images of provinces, kingdoms, mountains, bays, ships, islands, fishes, rooms, tools, stars, horses and people. Shortly before his death, he discovers that the patient labyrinth of lines traces the image of his own face.'

Charles Luckman 'The trouble with America is that there are far too many wide-open spaces surrounded by teeth.'*

*To which reply 'at least we have teeth' and be a laugh riot.

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Posted by Aydin on 05-25-2005 04:26 PM:

"To learn without thinking is fruitless;
To think without learning is dangerous."
Confucius

Posted by Aydin on 05-25-2005 04:40 PM:

"Black cat or white cat: If it can catch mice, it's a good cat"
Deng Xiaoping

Posted by Coincidence on 05-25-2005 05:23 PM:

"It is clear to me that the writings of the christians are a lie, and that your fables are not well-enough constructed to conceal this monstrous fiction: I have heard that some of your interpreters... are on to the inconsistencies and, pen in hand, alter the originals writings, three, four and several more times over in order to be able to deny the contradictions in the face of criticism." Celsus, 178 AD

You're in the wrnght place.

Posted by lanin on 05-25-2005 07:54 PM:

Fuck Off - Frank Zappa

Posted by voncrud on 05-25-2005 07:56 PM:

"Which is it:
God is mans mistake? Or is Man, Gods mistake?"
-Frederich Niche

"You cannot change a person, you can only change the way that you react to that person."
-Billie Cryer

"A wise man hears of the Tao,
and practices it diligently.
An average man hears of the Tao,
he half believes it and half doubts it.
A fool hears of the Tao, and roars with laughter.
For if he didnt laugh, it wouldnt be Tao."
-Lao Tzu, Chapter 40 something, Tao Te Ching

Happiness lies neither in vice nor in virtue; but in the manner we appreciate the one and the other, and the choice we make pursuant to our individual organization. - Marquis De Sade

Posted by SimpleSimon on 05-25-2005 08:02 PM:

"Don't try to have the last word. You might get it."
Robert Heinlien

Posted by Hawley Griffin on 05-25-2005 08:32 PM:

Heinlein even

"too many people have opinions on things they know nothting about. and the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
-euphorbia

Posted by dogcow on 05-25-2005 08:34 PM:

A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it. - Duke Leto Atreides

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." ~ Castaneda

Posted by SimpleSimon on 05-25-2005 08:36 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by dogcow
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it. - Duke Leto Atreides

Actually, Frank Herbert

Posted by dogcow on 05-25-2005 08:37 PM:

yes, obviously.

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." ~ Castaneda

Posted by Vegas on 05-25-2005 08:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Azrael
Its because we keep all the decent quotes as our sigs.

Most people don't feel the need to make a useless thread about it...

Wow this is awkward.

Go home Vegas.

Decent quotes?

"I've examined this issue carefully and from all sides and come to a conclusion, you all have a mental block."

Fucking spectacular, Azbat. Keep 'em coming.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m