Asylum Forums
Show all 22 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- Polžticŗs der Mondť (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18)
-- The ID card and the biometric passport isnít a threat to freedom (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=48280)

Posted by lynn on 08-16-2007 12:36 PM:

The ID card and the biometric passport isnít a threat to freedom

The ID card isnít a threat to freedom because it isnít going to take all our freedom away. And the biometric passport isnít a threat to freedom because it isnít going to take all our freedom away. And the ID card and the biometric passport isnít a waste of money. The ID card isnít going to take all our freedom away because it isnít a threat to freedom. And the biometric passport isnít going to take all our freedom away because it isnít a threat to freedom. People shouldnít be frightened of the ID card and the biometric passport. There isnít danger to freedom from the ID card and the biometric passport. We shouldnít fight against the ID card and the biometric passport. The ID card and the biometric passport arenít really bad for this county. Why should People be frightened of the ID card data base and the biometric passport?

Posted by dogcow on 08-16-2007 12:43 PM:

yeah, and tautologies are repetitious and unnecessary.

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." ~ Castaneda

Posted by ignatz mouse on 08-16-2007 03:47 PM:

Are too.

Posted by Tray on 08-16-2007 05:04 PM:

But the logic is infallible.

Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you.

Posted by 3MTA3 on 08-17-2007 01:26 AM:

No right to privacy when in public.

pennis in the sluts machine

Posted by Coincidence on 08-17-2007 10:53 AM:

Or if you're non-american.

You're in the wrnght place.

Posted by Cruise Director on 08-18-2007 12:18 AM:

I don't mind a national I.D. As long as we don't get to a state where we have to show it every time we cross a border.

Posted by Jeitarium on 08-18-2007 06:52 AM:

It's not the cards that are the problem, it's the concentration of information that becomes power. History's list of psychopaths who gained control of a country and proceeded to repress and kill his own people, is endless. Therefore, governments should not be given such power.

5 years ago, the buses in Vancouver did not have stationary cameras inside, nor security guards with guns. They now have both, and have effectively turned the interior of the bus into a moving prison. The security guards have police powers, in addition to full accesss to search passengers because it's not quite public property. They don't need a warrant to access the video.

The biggest problem of all is that the people gaining this concentration of power are too moronic to understand what such power does to people; "so long as I'm the dictator [there's no problem]"

"If you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about" was a great argument for each and every police state.

Posted by billgerat on 08-19-2007 10:27 PM:

Re: The ID card and the biometric passport isnít a threat to freedom

quote:
Originally posted by lynn

The ID card isnít a threat to freedom because it isnít going to take all our freedom away. And the biometric passport isnít a threat to freedom because it isnít going to take all our freedom away. And the ID card and the biometric passport isnít a waste of money. The ID card isnít going to take all our freedom away because it isnít a threat to freedom. And the biometric passport isnít going to take all our freedom away because it isnít a threat to freedom. People shouldnít be frightened of the ID card and the biometric passport. There isnít danger to freedom from the ID card and the biometric passport. We shouldnít fight against the ID card and the biometric passport. The ID card and the biometric passport arenít really bad for this county. Why should People be frightened of the ID card data base and the biometric passport?

Circular logic doesn't even begin to cover this sad example of self supporting bullshit.

"Republicans: the party that brought us 'Just Say No.' First as a drug policy, then as their entire platform." -Stephen Colbert -

Posted by SocialParasite on 08-19-2007 10:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Director
I don't mind a national I.D. As long as we don't get to a state where we have to show it every time we cross a border.

The way things are looking to be written in the Real ID legislation pretty much makes it mandatory for border crossings and getting on a plane.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08...l.id/index.html

Posted by Oracular_Jinx on 08-23-2007 04:38 AM:

They're not free. That's the real rip-off.

A cubicle is just a padded cell with no door.

Posted by 3MTA3 on 08-23-2007 04:50 AM:

Why do some of you have such obsessions with police states? Are you closet fascists or something? I mean, every time something is discussed its like 'omg police state' and 'slippery slope' this and 'descent into fascism' that...come the fuck on. I have asked this same question quite a few times now and not one of you 'Im a true patriot and anyone who doesnt agree with me is a jackboted jingoist' types has ever even tried to answer it...ya panicky bastards...so here it is again:

WHY WOULD THE US GOVT. CUT ITS OWN LEGS OFF IN A POINTLESS POWER GRAB? DO YOU KNOW WHAT SORT OF ECONOMIES POLICE STATES PRODUCE? WHY WOULD WE GO THAT ROUTE? WHY?

Posted by Talarohk on 08-23-2007 05:03 AM:

Why have other nations become police states?

Posted by 3MTA3 on 08-23-2007 05:43 AM:

Oh gee, great fucking answer. You cant even answer that one yourself you fucking pretender. Take your lame attempt at the socratic method the fuck out of here.

Posted by dogcow on 08-23-2007 08:17 AM:

i thought it was a pretty good answer. unless you think that shit always happens to someone else, that is.

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." ~ Castaneda

Posted by Talarohk on 08-23-2007 08:40 AM:

Well, 3MTA3, here was my thinking. Other states have become police states in the past. Presumably, they were also aware that doing so would likely cause some problems with their economies, etc., and yet they still became police states. Apparently, there is some reason why it happens.

You seem convinced that it cannot happen in this country, and I am curious what you see as being different here and now. I don't think it can simply be that those in charge would look at the potential economic cost of dramatically increased authority and conclude it was a bad idea, because other nations (presumably with similar knowledge) have chosen a shift to an authoritarian government.

As to why I think it happens, my guess would be that those with some measure of power seek to have more. It may be power for power's sake, or it may be with good intentions ("But I could fix everything, if only everyone would just do as I say!"), but in either case, it is possible that the supposed advantages of increased power would outweigh the costs.

You seem to be arguing from the standpoint that a government will always do what produces maximum economic benefit. I would respectfully submit that there is ample evidence that that is not the case.

Posted by Talarohk on 08-23-2007 08:41 AM:

There. Now you can never say nobody has tried to answer you. You can just complain about how nobody has produced an answer you like or agree with.

Posted by Coincidence on 08-23-2007 02:54 PM:

The surveillance society in England is truly scary. Cameras will literally yell at you if you litter on the street, and then you can go home and watch yourself on a network that broadcasts surveillance footage.
It cannot be economic reasoning, and it can only theoretically prevent terrorism. It is an example of a government that has lost faith in its citizens and divided the nation into right and potentially wrong people.

This in spite of everything humanity has learned about itself in this regard.

'I'm sure their motives are pure'.

You're in the wrnght place.

Posted by J E B Stuart on 01-13-2018 04:31 AM:

Re: The ID card and the biometric passport isnít a threat to freedom

quote:
Originally posted by lynn

Lynn, your post is so exquisitely spectacular, it just keeps getting better with time. No doubt, it compels me to wish you a seriously happy birthday, provided they donít take all our freedom away.

Again, happy birthday!

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should notÔŅĹthe real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 01-14-2018 08:05 AM:

Iris scanners are great tools also.

Report this post to a moderator!!!

Posted by J E B Stuart on 01-14-2018 04:00 PM:

Thumbs up

I understand the very latest and greatest, top-secret, cutting-edge research has moved from iris scanners to fart sniffers. As I have long suspected, a personís breeze has a complex and unique bouquet that cannot be replicated, duplicated, or counterfeited.

Asstonishing. Simply asstonishing.

Amen.

p. s. I have it on good authority that our very own Poops McGhee is leading (from behind, of course) a crack team of scientists in this cutting cheese research.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should notÔŅĹthe real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 01-14-2018 04:25 PM:

Report this post to a moderator!!!