Asylum Forums Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »
Show all 72 posts from this thread on one page

Asylum Forums (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/index.php)
- The Lost Forum (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- Stupid Words (http://asylumnation.com/asylum/showthread.php?threadid=3166)

Posted by Mister Buddha on 10-22-2000 01:03 AM:

If

that is just such a weird word. if

Posted by Roshigoth on 10-22-2000 01:04 AM:

I honestly couldn't care less when people say "I could care less."

It just doesn't matter to me so long as they get the point across. Only the anal-rententive grammar nazis really care about little things like that unless the grammar is so bad that the person is incomprehensible.

------------------
Graphic Cheeseworks.
Come sail the seas of cheese!

Posted by JoeyCat on 10-22-2000 01:07 AM:

Yous guys....what the hell is that?

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 10-22-2000 01:07 AM:

I could care less what you fuckers think!

Now, really! Doesn't that roll off the tongue a lot better than "I couldn't care less what you fuckers think!"?

It's sorta like saying, "Yeah, Yeah!" when you actually mean "No!".

English is funny that way!

Now, GoFuckYourselves!

Posted by Avondale on 10-22-2000 01:10 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Roshigoth:
I honestly couldn't care less when people say "I could care less."

It just doesn't matter to me so long as they get the point across. Only the anal-rententive grammar nazis really care about little things like that unless the grammar is so bad that the person is incomprehensible.

I am not a Grammar-Nazi, but for fuck's sake, man!
The thing is, by saying "I could care less", a person is stating the EXACT opposite of the point he is trying to portray.

Also, it's "as long as", not "so long as."

Posted by Avondale on 10-22-2000 01:13 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by GoFuckYourselves!:
I could care less.

They say first impressions last forever.

Posted by Roshigoth on 10-22-2000 01:20 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Avondale:
I am not a Grammar-Nazi, but for fuck's sake, man!
The thing is, by saying "I could care less", a person is stating the EXACT opposite of the point he is trying to portray.

Also, it's "as long as", not "so long as."

The thing about it is, English speakers are kinda funny in the fact that they often say things that have entirely different meanings than merely the sum of the words together. Most anyone who hears someone say "I could care less" knows exactly what they really mean.

As for the "as long as" vs. "so long as" it's more a matter of preference than anything. I've never heard of any grammatical rules stating that "so long as" is incorrect.

Then you must take into account varying dialects of the same language, which, although their grammar often differs from "standard" English, are no less able to communicate their point.

------------------
Graphic Cheeseworks.

Posted by Avondale on 10-22-2000 01:33 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Roshigoth:
The thing about it is, English speakers are kinda funny in the fact that they often say things that have entirely different meanings than merely the sum of the words together. Most anyone who hears someone say "I could care less" knows exactly what they really mean.

Granted, phrases often have different meanings, but it is almost always sarcasm or a figure of speech. "I could care less" is just a lack of comprehension of the English language, and is by no means a figure of speech. It is a corrupted form of a phrase that does possess a meaning.

Unfortunately, more often than not, people are too stupid to understand what you're talking about when you point out their feeble grasp on their native tongue.
Imbeciles..

Posted by Avondale on 10-22-2000 01:42 AM:

One more thing.

quote:
although their grammar often differs from "standard" English, are no less able to communicate their point.

Being able to communicate one's point does not, by any means, mean they are speaking correctly. It means that people are able to understand other people's ignorance.

Cavemen communicated by grunting, and pointing, or whatnot. They were able to communicate their point, but had no language skills.

I do not claim to be a spelling/grammar expert. I do, however, get extremely frustrated, for lack of a better description, when people make such glaring errors. What gets to me even more is that people usually aren't even aware of it.

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 10-22-2000 01:45 AM:

quote:
Granted, phrases often have different meanings, but it is almost always sarcasm or a figure of speech. "I could care less" is just a lack of comprehension of the English language, and is by no means a figure of speech. It is a corrupted form of a phrase that does possess a meaning.

Unfortunately, more often than not, people are too stupid to understand what you're talking about when you point out their feeble grasp on their native tongue.
Imbeciles..

I could give a fuck!

You see! Actually, I meant to say "I couldn't give a fuck" but I said "I could". You're missing the principal that's involved here; i.e., Spoken English differs from written English!

Now, GoFuckYourselves!

Posted by Roshigoth on 10-22-2000 01:46 AM:

quote:

Imbeciles..

Good point. People are imbeciles, and many (Americans in particular) don't have such a strong grasp of English grammar. But they do have enough of a grasp to communicate effectively with others, for the most part. English grammar is so strict and is often somewhat convoluted. English is something of a difficult language to learn. Most people probably don't speak with proper grammar because they don't see any need to do so, as long as they can convey their message. Speech patterns are much more casual and rarely follow formal grammar. The problem comes when people try to write by applying the more casual speaking grammar to a written or typed medium. That's when the grammar errors begin to stand out, and where grammar nazis (like yourself and bunkum) begin to emerge. Spelling's another common problem for similar reasons. People don't attribute enough importance to it, which I feel is rather sad, because no matter how intelligently you make an argument or statement, if there are numerous grammatical mistakes and spelling errors in a paper, essay, or other document, it tends to lose much of its credibility. I've had teachers (and not English teachers, either) who flat out stated that if a paper had more than 3 errors in grammar, it had no chance of getting an A, and very little chance of getting a B.

I'm not sure, but the most logical explanation for the "I could care less" statement was supplied by GoFuckYourselves. It does have a better sound to it. More of an edge, for lack of a better description. Therefore, many people began to adopt that particular way of saying it, despite the fact that it is grammatically incorrect. And then kids learn these statements from their parents/neighbors/peers and so the expression continues to be popular. I guess teachers don't bother correcting it.

I think I might have had more to say, but I lost my train of thought. Oh well.

------------------
Graphic Cheeseworks.

Posted by Roshigoth on 10-22-2000 01:49 AM:

quote:
Being able to communicate one's point does not, by any means, mean they are speaking correctly. It means that people are able to understand other people's ignorance.

I do not claim to be a spelling/grammar expert. I do, however, get extremely frustrated, for lack of a better description, when people make such glaring errors. What gets to me even more is that people usually aren't even aware of it.

Hey, I'm not arguing with that point. I agree completely. But remember that this is an informal atmosphere, and therefore most people will use the same patterns of grammar they use when speaking.

------------------
Graphic Cheeseworks.

Posted by J E B Stuart on 10-22-2000 01:55 AM:

You know, "you know" tends to drive me nuts, you know? Amen.

Posted by Avondale on 10-22-2000 01:56 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by GoFuckYourselves!:

HELLO, I AM A BIG FATT GAY MAN, AND I WEAR DIAPERSES AND POO -POOs ON MYSLEF AT RANDOMS, HAHAHAHA.
OH AND I FROGOT TO MENTIONEN THAT I AM IMPOTENT AND AM THNINKING OF BECOMING A EUNUCH.
EHYEHHHEHE, i hvae TO GO NOWW BYE

That pretty much sums it up. Thank you.

Firstly, you incompetent halfwit, it isn't funny the third time you say it. Nor the second for that matter.

And I am not missing the "principal" at all. I am quite aware that spoken English differs from written English. Hell, I, myself, have never even written "dude" on an essay!

Have a nice day. Or don't. I couldn't care less.

PS: Using your own nick as an insult is very suitable in this situation.

Posted by absolut on 10-22-2000 07:10 AM:

On the other hand, "plethora" and "frock" are rather admirable words.

Posted by Dead_Inside on 10-22-2000 07:35 AM:

Frock off! ummm sorry.

Posted by Leroy Binks on 10-22-2000 07:56 AM:

quote:
I FUCKING HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY "I could care less."

IT'S "I COULDNT care less!!" I can not stress this enough.

Get it right, for the love of god! Please!!

Couldn't I care less? I could care less than I care right now. No wait, I couldn't. Or could I?

((This is what is going through my head trying to figure out if you're right))

------------------
Curry powder is not an acceptable substitue for baby powder.

Posted by urbanjunkie on 10-22-2000 07:58 AM:

All I have to say regarding this "I could care less" argument is:

poppycock

------------------
This is confusion am I confusing you?.

"You spend your whole life figuring out what the point of life is, and then
you die" - someone.

Posted by Stellar on 10-22-2000 08:01 AM:

SOD OFF!!!!!

yall have issues
ya think?

its all good

------------------
"You're all pathetic in your own way!!"

I can't bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Laugh now, cry later!!

Posted by Thimbles worth of opinion on 10-22-2000 11:33 AM:

Personally I think any racist names people come up with are stupid.
Nigger. Nigger is a slang term used against Negroes.
Injun. Injun is is a slang term used against Indians.
Chinks. Chinks is a slang term used against Chinese.
All these stereotype names prove to me is that wihite people who use them are sooo dumb they can't use there own language right.
And WTF is with gook.
I mean when the etymology of a word is plain to see I don't ming the use as much. But gook? This is the only time I have ever sen that word used in an authoritive sense.
That would be here.

What that has to do with asians I have noooo idea.
The same goes for honky. The hell is that any way? White people. If you cut us, do we not bleed? If you squeeze our noses do we not honk? The thing I don't understand is why people resort to the term honkey when we give ourselves the name caucasian. I mean VERBAL AMMO OR WHAT!? sheesh.

Posted by J E B Stuart on 08-25-2018 03:54 AM:

”At the end of the day ...”

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 08-25-2018 07:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by J E B Stuart
”At the end of the day ...”

is night.

Report this post to a moderator!!!

Posted by J E B Stuart on 08-31-2018 03:11 AM:

Okay, then. You asked for it and Uncle JEB delivers:

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Posted by GoFuckYourselves! on 08-31-2018 05:01 AM:

Is that the Beatles?

Report this post to a moderator!!!

Posted by J E B Stuart on 08-31-2018 04:08 PM:

Nope. The Kinks. That was one of my favorite tunes back in the day.

Amen.