The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > WIT - Whore Institute of Technology > Wi-Fi usb dongle for macs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Thimbles worth of opinion
Symetrically challenged

Wi-Fi usb dongle for macs

I got an old mac that doesn't have wireless and opening it up to install a airport card was a pain in the ass I didn't need. I noticed they now have these usb 802.11n devices that are cheap and supposedly work great, under windows.

Anybody know a good quality provider of these dongles which has Mac compatibility?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-16-2008 03:36 PM
Thimbles worth of opinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thimbles worth of opinion Click here to Send Thimbles worth of opinion a Private Message Find more posts by Thimbles worth of opinion Add Thimbles worth of opinion to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

There's a whole slew of them. First hit on Google:
http://www.teksale.com/computers/co...pter-Mac-PC.htm

I'm a bit of a loss here for the Macs that I know of laptop anyway has it built in.

(edit) oops. You have an old Mac. Just how old?

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 11-16-2008 03:54 PM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Symetrically challenged

802.11g, but we're in the ball park.
I was reading about the asus sticks having problems on reboot so I shied away from them.

Old Post 11-16-2008 04:20 PM
Thimbles worth of opinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thimbles worth of opinion Click here to Send Thimbles worth of opinion a Private Message Find more posts by Thimbles worth of opinion Add Thimbles worth of opinion to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

Ah HA!!

http://www.ebest24.com/en/80211n-30...-apple-mac.html

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 11-16-2008 05:51 PM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Symetrically challenged

Under Specifications:
Supported OS Windows s98/ ME/ 2000/ XP

Old Post 11-16-2008 06:27 PM
Symetrically challenged

What I really wanted to know is which provider makes the best quality net equipment and who has a usb wi-fi dongle product which supports Macs (or the ralink open chipsets)
http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Ho.../Macintosh.html

Old Post 11-16-2008 06:31 PM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

I hear that if a wi fi card supports windows it supports Mac as well.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 11-16-2008 07:59 PM
macker
Holy Me-el

Pretty much all of the cheap USB sticks are Ralink based. However, you might want to poke around the OSX86 Project Wiki HCL pages for some known to work wireless cards.

Old Post 11-16-2008 09:42 PM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Symetrically challenged

quote:
Originally posted by Large Filipino
I hear that if a wi fi card supports windows it supports Mac as well.

The compatibility fairy is not a trusted source, but thanks anyway.

And thanks to you macker, I'll give it a try.

Old Post 11-17-2008 01:30 AM
Symetrically challenged

Well, I picked up this:
http://www.planex.net/product/wirel...-us300mini2.htm
which claims on the box to only work with windows, but they have an apple driver here:
http://www.planex.net/download/wire...-us300mini2.htm
(though I used the one here)
http://www.planex.co.jp/support/dow...s300mini2.shtml
I used my laptop's wireless, through firewire, to surf the web on my mini and download the stuff I needed.
So far it works great under different accounts. Only problems were:
a) it doesn't do 802.11n in 5ghz. 2.4 only.
b) it will make your network dialog complain that "Your network settings have been change by another application" until you go into the security pref pane and check "Require password to unlock each secure system preference"

I can surf the web with the latest wireless protocol using an old 10.3 mac mini that had a usb 2.0 port (currently posting from). Didn't have to opeen any cases and fiddle with system internals plus the sum total for the product was 30 bucks.

Not bad, all told.

Old Post 11-22-2008 04:50 PM
Symetrically challenged

ps. I'm going to miss fire wire

Old Post 11-22-2008 04:52 PM