The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > WIT - Whore Institute of Technology > PHP vs ASP : Which do you prefer?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Spooky
twisty turny thing

Post PHP vs ASP : Which do you prefer?

I say <A HREF="http://www.php4.net"" TARGET=_blank>PHP</A> but then I have been playing with it for a week now

------------------
sp00ky
---------------------------
'Sex on the TV, everybody's at it. And the mind gets dirty as you get closer to thirty.'

I quote, therefore I am - Spooky

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-09-2000 10:43 PM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
memdink
spasm of violence

I don't know anything of PHP and have only looked at ASP before. I don't know how to use it, but I know what it does. It's way better than HTML!

Maybe you should look at xml/xsl and stylesheets and the like. Wave of the future, broham.

------------------------
i dismembered an 11 year old girl points. - spaceboy

Old Post 11-10-2000 01:10 AM
memdink is offline Click Here to See the Profile for memdink Click here to Send memdink a Private Message Find more posts by memdink Add memdink to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

I got my hopes up for XML.

*mutter about browsers and standards and incompatibility*

Old Post 11-10-2000 01:28 AM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

i believe asp, like cold fusion, only runs on microsoft servers? not sure, but if thats the case definately php.

ive never written anything in asp but its basically Visual Basic which means pattern matching will be a bitch compared to regular expressions in perl and php. also not sure what kind of database support asp has but php s support is more than adequate, not to mention php and perl are free.

I may be getting an internship in Jan programming converting an asp itranet to php. if i do maybe ill write up a pros/cons breakdown.

cold fusion = ick, dont go near it.

i also hear server side javascript is nice.

Old Post 11-10-2000 03:26 AM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

btw spooky, i got your email- didnt mean to ignore it.

a php/mysql forum is very fast, but i have so much time into modifying this board i dont even want to think about starting over right now...

Old Post 11-10-2000 03:31 AM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

This is true of course about ASP running on Win NT machine, although apparently APache will now run on Unix systems. As for PHP it does run on both, as does MySQL, and its free!!!!!

Dingle I am currently downloading php4 for my box. The forum idea I had should be working in a couple of weeks. I realise you have a lot on, but from what I have read of this particular forum all the colour customisation, profiles etc are emanaged entirely through a web interface.

------------------------
sp00ky
---------------------------
'everyone I've loved or hated always seems to leave'

I quote, therefore I am - Spooky

Old Post 11-10-2000 09:40 AM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BnB
Suck My Ass

PHP/MySQL rocks.

------------------------
Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

Old Post 11-10-2000 04:21 PM
BnB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BnB Click here to Send BnB a Private Message Find more posts by BnB Add BnB to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aminal
incomplete

php and asp will both run on IIS and apache.
the need various differnt software to work correctly though, and asp on apache is buggy.

asp and sqlserver is a complete cunt to work with, but just as fast (if not faster) than php and mysql, however i think that the difference in the cost of the software more than makes up for that

IIS+NT/2k+sqlserver = about 2 grand.
solaris+apache+php&mysql = about 30 quid.

------------------------
a /\/\ i n a l
"Touch my tears
with your lips"

Old Post 11-10-2000 05:25 PM
aminal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aminal Click here to Send aminal a Private Message Find more posts by aminal Add aminal to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote