The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > WIT - Whore Institute of Technology > My dumbass computer
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Avondale
oh hello

Post My dumbass computer

When I leave a program open for a long time, and then close it, my computer locks up for a while.
The longer the program has been open, the longer the program locks up.
This can be quite aggravating when I'm trying to turn off my computer to go to sleep. Especially when my computer has been on for a long time. It has locked up for well over 10 minutes before.

Is there a way to fix this that does NOT involve throwing the computer out the window, or "typing format c:\"?

------------------
[ Insert Catchy Phrase Here ]

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-2001 03:54 AM
Avondale is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Avondale Click here to Send Avondale a Private Message Find more posts by Avondale Add Avondale to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

How much RAM do you have?

------------------------
Have a good day, and if you feel like subjecting your genitals to high doses of x-ray radiation I'm sure the world will kindly thank you.

Old Post 03-02-2001 04:57 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pianomahnn
Sw0ul3!!!!!11

Punch it a few times.

Not only is this a great stress relevar, but your computer will still be inside, and not out the window.

------------------------
Live In Freedom

In retrospect, I probably should have taken the vanilla icecream. But the chocolate looked far too tempting. Little did I know at the time, it was actually little children all mushed up into a fine icey paste. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night, and neither did those kiddies. Well, I didn't stand for such a crime!! NO WAY. I marched back in that store and demamded an explanation. And there is was. Double chocolate icecream. Sitting there, waiting to be ingested. Oh, the taste. Oh the pure orgasmic feeling when you consume the delicious cream. Oh, how I love chocolate icecream.

Old Post 03-02-2001 05:44 AM
Pianomahnn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pianomahnn Click here to Send Pianomahnn a Private Message Visit Pianomahnn's homepage! Find more posts by Pianomahnn Add Pianomahnn to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

OS? Graphics Card? RAM? Whats running in the background (Systray)? Does it happen when you are online? Does it happen wehn you are offline?

------------------------
sp00ky
---------------------------
Warning: ChikChillin has hamster cheeks!

Old Post 03-02-2001 09:34 AM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avondale
oh hello

quote:
Originally posted by Spooky:
OS? Graphics Card? RAM? Whats running in the background (Systray)? Does it happen when you are online? Does it happen wehn you are offline?

Windows 98
128 mb RAM
Voodoo 3 1000 (shut up )

it does it both online and offline

background stuff - tons of shit like virus prot., drivers, and whatnot

Anyway, it's always done this. It locks up every time I close a program that's been open for a long time. The longer the program has been open, the longer it locks up for. Same goes for shutting down.

please help me

------------------------
my right wing is flapping, the left one is gray

[This message has been edited by Avondale (edited 03-02-2001).]

Old Post 03-03-2001 03:21 AM
Avondale is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Avondale Click here to Send Avondale a Private Message Find more posts by Avondale Add Avondale to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avondale
oh hello

quote:
Originally posted by Freelance:

Are you running anything by Norton, I wonder? Especially CrashGuard?

Not to the best of my knowledge, which I will admit, is severely limited in the technical stuff catagory.
If it makes any difference, it's ALWAYS done it, so it must be something with the software that came with the computer.

------------------------

Old Post 03-04-2001 01:40 AM
Goatboy
the anticlimax

Memory leak?

------------------------
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

[This message has been edited by Goatboy (edited 03-03-2001).]

Old Post 03-04-2001 02:08 AM
Goatboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goatboy Click here to Send Goatboy a Private Message Find more posts by Goatboy Add Goatboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Freelance
Cuddly Puppy

Something in the background.

Are you running anything by Norton, I wonder? Especially CrashGuard?

We techies hate Norton, it likes to fuck everything up.

------------------------
Anger=Red

Old Post 03-04-2001 06:38 AM
Freelance is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Freelance Click here to Send Freelance a Private Message Find more posts by Freelance Add Freelance to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dead_Inside
Joey's Head Bitch

quote:
Originally posted by Freelance:
We techies hate Norton, it likes to fuck everything up.

If you dont let it do anything on its own and only install the utilities, it can be quite useful. I never let any program auto-run, thats just wrong.

Crashguard is a joke, I agree. I love the message that says crashguard has detected a problem with crashguard.

*slinks out of WIT*

Old Post 03-04-2001 08:44 PM
Dead_Inside is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dead_Inside Click here to Send Dead_Inside a Private Message Find more posts by Dead_Inside Add Dead_Inside to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dead_Inside
Joey's Head Bitch

Avondale, Im sorry but I just cant stop.

I am really leaving WIT this time. I promise. Im sorry.

Old Post 03-04-2001 09:26 PM
Dead_Inside is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dead_Inside Click here to Send Dead_Inside a Private Message Find more posts by Dead_Inside Add Dead_Inside to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

Close all background processes down except Explorer and Systray and then see if it happens

------------------------
sp00ky

Old Post 03-05-2001 06:23 AM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goatboy
the anticlimax

Check D_I's link, Spooky.

It covers that.

------------------------
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Old Post 03-05-2001 02:03 PM
Goatboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goatboy Click here to Send Goatboy a Private Message Find more posts by Goatboy Add Goatboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

quote:
Originally posted by Goatboy:
Check D_I's link, Spooky.

It covers that.

opps sorry. I replied this morning just after waking up. I should read more often I guess

------------------------
sp00ky

Old Post 03-05-2001 02:30 PM
Avondale
oh hello

I am lost.

Maybe I'll just go with the throwing computer out the window thing.

------------------------

Old Post 03-09-2001 01:41 AM
Dacarlo
ex-member

quote:
Originally posted by Avondale:
I am lost.

Maybe I'll just go with the throwing computer out the window thing.

Grab this... http://www.analogx.com/contents/dow...stem/maxmem.htm

Follow this sage advice... http://www.asylumnation.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002674.html

Run sfc.exe from the run menu.

Let me know if it helps.

------------------------
<A HREF="http://www.urbanhacker.com" TARGET=_blank>
"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have.
Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task.
The rest is the madness of art."</A>

Old Post 03-10-2001 12:47 PM
Dacarlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dacarlo Find more posts by Dacarlo Add Dacarlo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote