The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Civilization is twenty-four hours and two meals from barbarism.
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Feral Automaton
control your staffs

Civilization is twenty-four hours and two meals from barbarism.

Quothe that new Dirk Gently character...

Which got me thinking (since this fucking forum is so dead I'm reading sigs for content, maybe I should read a book?) ---> Who here feels like america (the generalized one that we all love to talk about) is civilized (if you feel that it is, please explain and define what is 'civilized')? Are americans civilized?

Or are we just barbarians with a lot of fancy toys?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-26-2001 04:46 AM
Feral Automaton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Feral Automaton Click here to Send Feral Automaton a Private Message Find more posts by Feral Automaton Add Feral Automaton to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormydoctor
Gay homo sewing fag

Well let me ask my dinosaur.

Old Post 11-26-2001 04:51 AM
stormydoctor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stormydoctor Click here to Send stormydoctor a Private Message Find more posts by stormydoctor Add stormydoctor to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

I am a barbarian, I eat raw meat and wear furs, I got out looking for dates with a large stick over my shoulder.

-m

Old Post 11-26-2001 04:59 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormydoctor
Gay homo sewing fag

I eat raw insects and great birds, called pigeons.

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:02 AM
stormydoctor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stormydoctor Click here to Send stormydoctor a Private Message Find more posts by stormydoctor Add stormydoctor to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lady sianna
starry-eyed siren

it seems to me that some of the more "barbarous" cultures are considerably more civilized than America. i guess it depends on how one defines "civilized".

you wanted a serious answer, right?

otherwise, i'm definitely a barbarian. *grrrrowls & waits for man with big stick to come & drag me off*

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:12 AM
lady sianna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lady sianna Click here to Send lady sianna a Private Message Find more posts by lady sianna Add lady sianna to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

*knocks sianna over the head and takes her to his cave*

-m

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:15 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

Wouldn't "civilized" be entirely relative?

You'd have to define the term before I'm willing to set out on the discussion.

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:22 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lady sianna
starry-eyed siren

*squeals & feigns protest in the form of biting & scratching*

and back to the topic at hand:

civilize (according to the Oxford American Dictionary) - 1. to cause to improve from a savage or primitive stage of human society to a more developed one. 2. to improve the behaviour of.

how conviently vague.

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:24 AM
lady sianna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lady sianna Click here to Send lady sianna a Private Message Find more posts by lady sianna Add lady sianna to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

I think Henry Locke had a good thing going for civialized society.

We just expounded on it.

I have to give props to the Greeks, thank you.

No matter or foreign intersts, or our actions. The definitions are sound.

Democracy is the way to go. Argue otherwise, but history will tell who is correct.

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:25 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

I think we are more civilized than barbaric, but not civilized enough. Thats in general - not just America.

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:33 AM
MuffyTheVampyreLayer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MuffyTheVampyreLayer Click here to Send MuffyTheVampyreLayer a Private Message Find more posts by MuffyTheVampyreLayer Add MuffyTheVampyreLayer to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

Some are some are not...I donít hold my pinkie up when I drink tea but I donít go around killing people for pelts either...unlike RIZZ.

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:34 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

quote:
Originally posted by AlcoholSoopaFiend

Democracy is the way to go. Argue otherwise, but history will tell who is correct.

It depends what version of democracy you are talking about now dosn't it. I would hate to see you use Rome as historic evidence of deomocracy being the correct way to go

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:35 AM
MuffyTheVampyreLayer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MuffyTheVampyreLayer Click here to Send MuffyTheVampyreLayer a Private Message Find more posts by MuffyTheVampyreLayer Add MuffyTheVampyreLayer to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

Both Muff and Euph made good posts there, articulating my own thoughts better than I could.

-m

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:38 AM
Fiend
Medically crazy

Rome wasn't a true democracy.

but the idea came from the intellectuals of that time.

I was talking about the US version, and how the countries since then have used it as a blueprint.

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:43 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

America isn't a true democracy either, it's a democratic republic. I.e. deomcratically elected leaders supposedly doing the bidding of the people. It's an alright system, but I think it's breaking down.

-m

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:50 AM
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

Why is it that Americans think that Americans invented the only 'real' democracy?

And Mordecai is right.

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:54 AM
Feral Automaton
control your staffs

wow - whole lot of nothin'

"Wouldn't "civilized" be entirely relative?

You'd have to define the term before I'm willing to set out on the discussion." - Paint CHiPs.

"Who here feels like america (the generalized one that we all love to talk about) is civilized (if you feel that it is, please explain and define what is 'civilized')? Are americans civilized?" - Me.

Wanna try that one again?

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:57 AM
Feral Automaton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Feral Automaton Click here to Send Feral Automaton a Private Message Find more posts by Feral Automaton Add Feral Automaton to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

Re: wow - whole lot of nothin'

quote:
Originally posted by Feral Automaton
"snip

Iíve traveled this great nation of ours too much to be able to "generalize" it.

Old Post 11-26-2001 05:59 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

Re: Civilization is twenty-four hours and two meals from barbarism.

quote:
snip

ahhh that old Wilde quote springs to mind.

'America is the only nation to go from barbarism to decadence without civilisation in between.'

Old Post 11-26-2001 06:01 AM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Why is it that Americans think that Americans invented the only 'real' democracy?

And Mordecai is right.

Why is it that some Americans ....?

Why is it that some seemingly well educated people are eager to "generalize" an entire country's people?

Old Post 11-26-2001 06:02 AM
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

Re: wow - whole lot of nothin'

quote:
"Wouldn't "civilized" be entirely relative?

I was thinking that myself...but decided that I knew what he was talking about and was just being pedantic.

But - just a point of interest. For a country to be annexed it needs to be terra nulius - ' no mans land'. This was deemed to mean no CIVILZED people owned the land. The south island of new zealand was claimed via this. So...were the (maori) inhabitants uncivilized? If so, by whose standards?

Old Post 11-26-2001 06:06 AM
Fiend
Medically crazy

quote:
Originally posted by MuffyTheVampyreLayer

Did you read my post?

fucking A, run with it if you can.

i merely pointed out that other countries look to us from a constitution stand point. legally its something to quote

and i said who and where it derived from. putting words in my mouth doesn't prove your point. it merely makes you seem arguementative and bias.

it's sad that we have to split hairs about civilization

Old Post 11-26-2001 06:07 AM
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

quote:
Originally posted by euphorbia

Why is it that some Americans ....?

Why is it that some seemingly well educated people are eager to "generalize" an entire country's people?

Tee hee. Point taken, Oops!

all though I would say majority rather than some.

Old Post 11-26-2001 06:09 AM
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

quote:
Originally posted by AlcoholSoopaFiend

i merely pointed out that other countries look to us from a constitution stand point. legally its something to quote

well, actually, no. I have studied constitutional and administrative law and we only looked at America for all of.... oh...actually, we didn't. America only got brought up in passing. It is only when you read writings by American jurisprudes that you encounter the phenomenon of the American constitution been taken as a starting point.

Old Post 11-26-2001 06:12 AM
Mordecai

I don't recall fiend specifying your nation, and while some may exxagerate, The american system is and has been used by some.

-m

Old Post 11-26-2001 06:16 AM