The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Gaming/Sports: An opinion on something.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Goat
Set Abominae

An opinion on something.

I am by all standards a geek. I play what are called "MUDS"...Multi User Dungeons or Domains, or whatever. I have for about 5 years now, and they're text based games. like, you type look and you read a room description. What i find odd is that noone seems to like this genre of gaming. Is imagination and intelligence dying?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-29-2001 12:14 AM
Goat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goat Click here to Send Goat a Private Message Visit Goat's homepage! Find more posts by Goat Add Goat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goatboy
the anticlimax

Move to Gaming?

We have a few people here who used to play MUDS.

For myself, I was more of a nerd so prefered the 'RL' RPG.

Old Post 11-29-2001 01:38 AM
Goatboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goatboy Click here to Send Goatboy a Private Message Find more posts by Goatboy Add Goatboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roshigoth
The Cheesemeister

I used to play muds. I got quite addicted to one for a long while, then I just suddenly stopped playing. I think that was when I discovered Diablo, though I might be wrong.

I always liked D&D and similar RPGs, though I never had anyone to play with, so I didn't get to do much of that.

These days, I don't really play many games. I just got hooked on Alchemy, thanks to my brother, but that's hardly the same sort of thing.

Old Post 11-29-2001 01:42 AM
Roshigoth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roshigoth Click here to Send Roshigoth a Private Message Find more posts by Roshigoth Add Roshigoth to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

Arrow

quote:
Originally posted by Goatboy
Move to Gaming?

*nods*

Old Post 11-29-2001 01:51 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Musashi
Fluffy Bunny

these types of games still exist and are played quite often actually.

i used to run one - which has been passed on to my girlfriend - that usually averages 30 players at any given time - and 8000+ active player characters. while that may not seem like a lot, this is a small MUD by comparison to a lot of the ones that are still around...

i guess the publicity for them isn't what it used to be with all the current alternatives, but they are still going pretty strong.

Old Post 11-29-2001 05:13 AM
Musashi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Musashi Click here to Send Musashi a Private Message Visit Musashi's homepage! Find more posts by Musashi Add Musashi to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormydoctor
Gay homo sewing fag

www.magewar.com is a pretty good one. I used to be ranked in the 100's then i suddenly quit.

Old Post 12-04-2001 10:09 PM
stormydoctor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stormydoctor Click here to Send stormydoctor a Private Message Find more posts by stormydoctor Add stormydoctor to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aminal
incomplete

I still play Discworld MUD, its one of the worlds largest LP muds, there are more than 10k active players, and there are always 100-200 people online. It has 6 strong guild, some of which are player run:

Warriors
Assassins (all playerkillers)
Thieves
Priests (actually mroe than one guild, as there are different god that give you different powers)
Wizards
Witches (only open to women)

No one actually knows how many rooms and objects there are, but rooms are easily over 2500 and objects is about 15k, probably much much more.

Its very detailed, humourous, and it has a strong player base. Muds are not goign anywhere... the good ones just keep on going.

Old Post 12-06-2001 10:40 AM
aminal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aminal Click here to Send aminal a Private Message Find more posts by aminal Add aminal to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsJustLogan
le pour soi

i like the idea of muds but could never get the hang of the controls. i didn't try very hard or, long though.

Old Post 12-08-2001 10:51 PM
ItsJustLogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsJustLogan Click here to Send ItsJustLogan a Private Message Find more posts by ItsJustLogan Add ItsJustLogan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

ive tried em, but i hate em. i can never figure out where the fuck i am... for instance in a graphical game like UO i'd just run where i wanted to go, in a text game i'm like ...umm, let's see, i went west then south then west 3 times then south then east twice then... or was it west once and south 3 times?

Old Post 12-10-2001 08:18 AM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aminal
incomplete

pah - getting lost is how you learn your way around... The MUD i play has three cities, spanning two continents (with another continent in development) the only way to find your way around is to get lost and explore.

Of couse, some people like to make maps:
http://maps.discworld.nu/maps/map-disc.htm

Old Post 12-11-2001 01:40 PM
aminal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aminal Click here to Send aminal a Private Message Find more posts by aminal Add aminal to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

I prefer old school pencil and paper roll playing over MUD. I get lost WAAAY too fucking easy and end up wandering aimlessly about some random countryside until something, like a squirrel, kills me.

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:49 PM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CRAPPYBOT
Adorable Pussycat

Red face wow!!! Takes me back....

to the old days in the early 80s, when you didn't need to have a degree to read code, and be able to program in a dead, ancient language called "BASIC" (translated by early Egyptologists on something called a rosetta floppy) and the old trusty TRS-80 color computer, and its myriad of horrid, text based adventure games.... And no, i don't miss em at all.... I do miss pen and paper rpgs tho.... nobody my age will play with me anymore.... I was always faulted as being a DM who was too stingy with experience and magic items....

"We will arm even the cats, if only we can teach them to handle a gun." -Fidel Castro

Old Post 12-31-2001 05:34 AM
CRAPPYBOT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CRAPPYBOT Click here to Send CRAPPYBOT a Private Message Find more posts by CRAPPYBOT Add CRAPPYBOT to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goat
Set Abominae

The way I see if, if a mud is designed really really well, I would rather play it than a graphical game any day, like...Achaea, for example, it has a complete newbie starting point, to get you used to the mud, and your first quest of venturing off to a dungeon with a NPC adventurer. At least they mix it up, and with a graphics based game its just the same old shit over and over....And also you dont have to have a P4 2 GHZ processor with 1 gig of ram to play them. I mean come on...use your imagination instead of letting something do it for you.

Old Post 12-31-2001 10:26 AM
Goat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goat Click here to Send Goat a Private Message Visit Goat's homepage! Find more posts by Goat Add Goat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

Re: wow!!! Takes me back....

quote:
Originally posted by CRAPPYBOT
to the old days in the early 80s, when you didn't need to have a degree to read code, and be able to program in a dead, ancient language called "BASIC" (translated by early Egyptologists on something called a rosetta floppy) and the old trusty TRS-80 color computer, and its myriad of horrid, text based adventure games.... And no, i don't miss em at all.... I do miss pen and paper rpgs tho.... nobody my age will play with me anymore.... I was always faulted as being a DM who was too stingy with experience and magic items....

I tried writing a MUD in QBASIC once. It didn't quite work out.

Old Post 12-31-2001 06:34 PM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goat
Set Abominae

Nothing really quite works out in Qbasic. Ever.

Old Post 01-01-2002 02:36 PM
macker
Holy Me-el

code:
SCREEN 7 For I = 1 to 256 For P = 1 to 256 PSET(I,P),P NEXT P NEXT I

Am I l33t or what?

Last edited by macker on 01-03-2002 at 01:55 PM

Old Post 01-03-2002 01:51 PM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CRSR
°Hits Moi!°

gawd they made us write a QBasic MUD when i was in junior high. for "micro-computing". Didnt everybody make one of those games at one point.

*side note...kids are lucky today..they have color monitors and everything!!!

Old Post 01-03-2002 03:08 PM
CRSR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CRSR Click here to Send CRSR a Private Message Find more posts by CRSR Add CRSR to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynical Apparition
Fluffy Bunny

yeah i used to be a bid addict,

Majormud

and

realms of despair

majormud was a big popular mud found on alot of BBS s

*sniff* the good ole days...

Old Post 01-06-2002 09:42 AM
Cynical Apparition is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynical Apparition Click here to Send Cynical Apparition a Private Message Find more posts by Cynical Apparition Add Cynical Apparition to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gavin
burdened student

MUDs will probably always be around, but their popularity decline I think has a lot to do with games like UO and Evercrack.

Old Post 01-08-2002 08:38 PM
Gavin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gavin Click here to Send Gavin a Private Message Find more posts by Gavin Add Gavin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goat
Set Abominae

Well...Ive played Diablo 2, and Everquest. And I can say, at the end of the day when I get insanely bored with the same shit over and over on those games, I go to mudconnect.com and find me a nice mud to play that I can listen to mp3s and kill mobs to.

Old Post 01-08-2002 08:46 PM