The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > -blue moon-
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Inky
-------------------------

Lightbulb -blue moon-

from www.earthsky.com

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2001 -- LOOKING EAST-SOUTHEAST AROUND 9 P.M. Marty Heresniak in Ithaca, New York wrote, "Your November 30 radio show spoke of a Blue Moon as the second full moon in a month. I seem to remember once hearing a different definition of a Blue Moon. A Blue Moon is the 13th moon of a year -- as we will have this year on December 30 . . . This extra moon will come very close to the winter solstice. Because of the low angle of the sun in the sky, the moon appears quite white, silvery, or, indeed, blue. . ." Neat idea, Marty! In fact, this is the first I've heard of the idea of a Blue Moon as the 13th full moon of a year. Like most of the media in recent decades, we've generally used the term Blue Moon to describe the second full moon of a month. This is the popular (albeit modern) definition, and it makes sense, too. After all, each month's full moon has a name. Once that name has been used on the first full moon of a month, it's nice to call the second one a Blue Moon. There's also the idea that a Blue Moon is a seasonal phenomenon -- And, as for the silvery or bluish color of tonight's moon, it is indeed true that full moons around the winter solstice ride higher in the sky than full moons at any other season. Will this fact make tonight's moon look blue? I've never heard that it will -- or seen that for myself -- but give it a look!

about blue moons:
http://www.skypub.com/sights/moonpl...05bluemoon.html

blue moon folklore:
http://www.skypub.com/sights/moonpl...99bluemoon.html

-------------------------------------

Last night the moon was so bright that I could see everything clearly in my bedroom at 3 am in the morning.

A few years ago I was awakened by a very strong moon, like the one I saw last night, and it scared me a bit, it was so bright. I had to leave the room and get away from the light.

This time I wasn't scared. The room was bathed in a cold blue white light, shadows of tree branches on my curtains. I laid there under the down duvet all warm and happy looking at the color and the sky and stars out my skylights until I fell asleep.

*sigh*

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-31-2001 02:33 AM
Inky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inky Click here to Send Inky a Private Message Find more posts by Inky Add Inky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shadow23
in dust we trust

neat-o.

*puts on a coat and goes out on his balcony*

Old Post 12-31-2001 02:40 AM
Shadow23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow23 Click here to Send Shadow23 a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow23 Add Shadow23 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lightbulb
Blarg. I'm dead.

Yoink. I'm wishing for world peace. Again.

---

Full Moon
Names
January -- Storm Moon
A storm is said to rage most fiercely just before it ends, and the year usually follows suit.
February -- Chaste Moon
The antiquated word for pure reflects the custom of greeting the new year with a clear soul.
March -- Seed Moon
Sowing season and symbol of the start of the new year.
April -- Hare Moon
The sacred animal was associated in Roman legends with springtime and fertility.
May -- Dyad Moon
The Latin word for a pair refers to the twin stars of the constellation of Castor and Pollux.
June -- Mead Moon
During late June and most of July the meadows, or meads, were mowed for hay.
July -- Wort Moon
When the sun was in Leo, the worts (from the Anglo-Saxon wyrt plant) were gathered to be dried and stored.
August -- Barley Moon
Persephone, virgin Goddess of rebirth, carries a sheaf of barley as a symbol of the harvest.
September -- Blood Moon
Marking the season when domestic animals were sacrificed for winter provisions. Libra's full moon occasionally became the Wine Moon when a grape harvest was expected to produce a superior vintage.
October -- Snow Moon
Scorpio heralds the dark season when the sun is at iss lowest and the first snows fly.
November -- Oak Moon
The sacred tree of the Druids and the Roman God Jupiter is most noble as it withstands winter storms.
December -- Wolf Moon
The fearsome nocturnal animal represents the "night" of the year.
The Blue Moon -- Variable
A Blue Moon occurs when the moon with its 28 day cycle appears twice within the same calendar month, due to that month's 31 day duration. Many consider the Blue Moon to be a goal moon where you set specific goals for yourself.
The Black Moon -- Variable
A Black Moon occurs when there are two dark cycles of the moon in any given calendar month. It is believed that the second dark moon of a time of great power within the spiritual world and any magick worked during this time is especially powerful.

Old Post 12-31-2001 03:52 AM
Lightbulb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lightbulb Find more posts by Lightbulb Add Lightbulb to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RiZZ
awsomeness incarnit

i like blue drinks

Old Post 12-31-2001 04:38 AM
RiZZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RiZZ Click here to Send RiZZ a Private Message Visit RiZZ's homepage! Find more posts by RiZZ Add RiZZ to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Krogoth
false patriot

i like red things

:fire:

Old Post 12-31-2001 04:47 AM
Krogoth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Krogoth Click here to Send Krogoth a Private Message Find more posts by Krogoth Add Krogoth to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote