The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > sweating for AOL chatrooms
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

sweating for AOL chatrooms

http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2002...ml/1/index.html

selected choice quotes:

A class-action lawsuit against the world's most successful online company suggests that profitable corporations still make money the old-fashioned way: They exploit, manipulate, and underpay employees; they usurp Americans' common patrimony; they flout the law. They're certainly not churches.

The class-action suit seeks back payment for around 5,000 California residents who volunteered to act as hosts and moderators for AOL's chat rooms. It seeks the California minimum wage of $6.25 per hour for the plaintiffs, some of whom spent as many as 80 hours a week testing AOL beta software, enforcing AOL terms of service, assisting subscribers, and keeping detailed time sheets and activity logs.

According to one estimate, AOL may have saved $1 billion by using these volunteers who may at one point have generated nearly a third of the company's revenue. Left untended, AOL chat rooms devoted to subjects such as cancer survival, botany, and relationships rapidly dissipate into a chaos of cussing and pranking adolescent boys.

The chat room volunteers have received little sympathy since they filed the New York suit. Why, after all, should one feel sorry for people whose social life consists of assuming a new identity online?

The new policy required volunteers to immediately disconnect anyone using the word "suicide" from the service.

"If they say they're going to commit suicide, 'Gag them!' is what we were told," Ball recalls.

Then there was the issue of the AOL software. Volunteers were required, as part of their job, always to use the latest America Online software version, even if it wasn't ready for release. One version was so buggy it crashed Ball's hard disk.

"When AOL 6.0 came out, a lot of the hosts' computers crashed. It wiped out my hard drive, and I tried reformatting and everything. But it was beyond repair. So I went and bought a new computer," Ball says. "If your computer bites the dust because of their program, their attitude is, 'Buy a new computer and tell us when you're ready to start hosting again.'"

In running an "unpaid sweatshop," the company was able to consummate a $111 billion merger and take over the media world.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-10-2002 04:53 AM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

I hope AOHell gets shafted hard.

And then r00t3d by l337 h4X0rZ.

Old Post 01-10-2002 04:55 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WastedPotential
sociotard

what's next? are Everquest players going to file a class-action suit demanding refunds of their monthly fee + back pay for working as "actors"?

Hell, i used to get paid to dress up funny and pack an axe around as an actor, and i made more than minimum wage for that.

Old Post 01-10-2002 05:03 AM
WastedPotential is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WastedPotential Click here to Send WastedPotential a Private Message Find more posts by WastedPotential Add WastedPotential to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowmore
drive by drunk

quote:
Originally posted by WastedPotential
Hell, i used to get paid to dress up funny and pack an axe around as an actor

You were acting?

AOL like any monolithic corporation will take what it can get, when it can get it by any means necessary.

And they have the resources to sit in court for 10,000 years saying they are boy scouts.

Business as usual.

selah.

Old Post 01-10-2002 05:07 AM
bowmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowmore Click here to Send bowmore a Private Message Find more posts by bowmore Add bowmore to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

uh...notice the word "volunteer". perhaps these idiots didnt' understand that they weren't required to do anything. people are just fucking stupid. to say that AOL "used" them is ridiculous. they used AOL. they wanted the status as moderator for the power high. they had the priveledge of running the rooms, banning on a whim, and opping their friends.

ludicrous. i hope it gets thrown out of court.

Old Post 01-10-2002 05:25 AM
morgana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgana Click here to Send morgana a Private Message Visit morgana's homepage! Find more posts by morgana Add morgana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shadow23
in dust we trust

Darwinism at work.

yup.

Old Post 01-10-2002 05:26 AM
Shadow23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow23 Click here to Send Shadow23 a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow23 Add Shadow23 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

I like the part about the software being so bad (or them being so retarded) that it fried their computers beyond repair.

But, nope, they didn't let a little detail like that stop them.

Old Post 01-10-2002 05:32 AM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite

The software was probably that bad.

Old Post 01-10-2002 06:24 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dead_Inside
Joey's Head Bitch

quote:
Originally posted by SocialParasite
The software was probably that bad.

So, by your own admission, you know nothing about the software or how it works?

Hateing stuff because alot of people use it is cool.

Last edited by Dead_Inside on 01-10-2002 at 06:32 AM

Old Post 01-10-2002 06:29 AM
Dead_Inside is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dead_Inside Click here to Send Dead_Inside a Private Message Find more posts by Dead_Inside Add Dead_Inside to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite

No.

They were running new software, which means it's still unstable.

Also, note that I didn't say that the software was in fact bad. I said it probably was that bad.

Read before you spout.

Old Post 01-10-2002 06:53 AM
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

quote:
Originally posted by SocialParasite
No.

They were running new software, which means it's still unstable.

Also, note that I didn't say that the software was in fact bad. I said it probably was that bad.

Read before you spout.

You called it AOHell.

You lost the match before it began.

Old Post 01-10-2002 07:03 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite

I can't call it AOHell now without being accused of hating something because people use it?

Jesus, when did that happen?

Most AOL users would agree with it being Hell.

Old Post 01-10-2002 06:27 PM