The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > -innovation and inspiration-
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Inky
-------------------------

Lightbulb -innovation and inspiration-

it seems to me that what passes as new and innovative, particularly in the arts, is mostly inspired and influenced by what came before.

As an artist myself, I know that i look at certain things, other art, or nature, and while i will be excited by it, and perhaps even be influenced when creating my own work, I know that i am not copying or taking the bits and pieces I like, but rather reinterpreting it...for example, i often will use a technique that was meant for one material and application and use it for another entirely. and while there may be that spark of innovation, it is still heavily influenced by my environment. I often wonder how pure my "original" ideas are.

I'm sure that innovation exists, but i am curious as to where we see the most innovation, the freshest ideas, things that have never been seen before.

And i am curious as well about our origins, in the beginning, when there was no one who came before, where did inspiration come from? they say that necessity is the mother of invention, but how does one, with nothing before him, make that connection of need to solution?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-2002 12:17 PM
Inky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inky Click here to Send Inky a Private Message Find more posts by Inky Add Inky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YaNkEEs
bahh

I'd put mine up but mine is to fluffy and cutsy for you guys... or atleast I think ... plus I can't find the camera that has all of it on it .... /me cries

Old Post 03-18-2002 04:46 PM
YaNkEEs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for YaNkEEs Click here to Send YaNkEEs a Private Message Find more posts by YaNkEEs Add YaNkEEs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oracular_Jinx
Old hag

I think it partially depends on how you see the world. People tend to fall into ruts, and can't take a fresh glace at, say, the same lawn chair that's been sitting out of their homes for years. Forget who YOU are for a minute. If you usually wear pants, try wearing a dress, if you never wear sunglasses, buy a pair. It is a big beautiful world, and anywhere you're willing to really look.

I'm keen on experiencing things with different senses. Feel something... hold it. Smell something which might not be known to smell. I can't elaborate right now. I am experiencing the world through hung over eyes.

Old Post 03-18-2002 04:52 PM
Oracular_Jinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oracular_Jinx Click here to Send Oracular_Jinx a Private Message Find more posts by Oracular_Jinx Add Oracular_Jinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Agoust
Electric and hideous.

Interesting topic, Inky. I teach courses in theatre history, literature, and criticism, so my perspective is necessarily skewed. But it's sincerely my belief that all of the arts are largely about rediscovering past genres and forms, reinterpreting them for contemporary audiences, and then subsequently expanding those genres and forms. I fervently believe that as an artist one must understand his/her aesthetic past in order to find a niche that is truly unique, and expands the selected discipline.

Interesting topic....

Old Post 03-18-2002 04:53 PM
Agoust is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Agoust Click here to Send Agoust a Private Message Find more posts by Agoust Add Agoust to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Buried Life
lurks.

Re: -innovation and inspiration-

quote:
Originally posted by Inky
snip

And i am curious as well about our origins, in the beginning, when there was no one who came before, where did inspiration come from? they say that necessity is the mother of invention, but how does one, with nothing before him, make that connection of need to solution?

Well, I'd say it's fairly obvious that in the beginning, the first human(s) were inspired by what's around them. You don't really need someone to look up to to start tinkering around with things...

Old Post 03-18-2002 04:56 PM
The Buried Life is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Buried Life Click here to Send The Buried Life a Private Message Find more posts by The Buried Life Add The Buried Life to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
december
Adorable Pussycat

i think innovation has more to do with the mind itself than anything else. it's an astonishing and wonderful thing, how different we are from each other in some ways... this is why while we might see the same world, we interpret it in radically different ways, filtered by our own experience or lack of experience, the telescope of our mind skewed a certain angle according to our particular backgrounds, our biases, our thoughts, our feelings...a combination of all these. innovation, then, comes from interpreting the world or some aspect of our world in a way that is unique to us, that came from our own perspective. one person may look at a bicycle seat and draw it as a biciycle seat, while Picasso may look at it and see the skull of a slain bull. that difference, to me, is innovation. art is all about seeing and observing the world around us, and distorting it to fit our individual tastes, ideas, emotions...our identity.

Old Post 03-18-2002 05:19 PM
december is offline Click Here to See the Profile for december Click here to Send december a Private Message Find more posts by december Add december to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inky
-------------------------

Re: Re: -innovation and inspiration-

quote:
Originally posted by The Buried Life

Well, I'd say it's fairly obvious that in the beginning, the first human(s) were inspired by what's around them. You don't really need someone to look up to to start tinkering around with things...

true, the first humans are cold and so they see some animal skin and fur and think, hmmm, i could put that around me and be warm, so they did, and they altered it as they saw fit to create garments. and every bit of clothing produced comes from that seed of an idea, so other than pure aesthetics, we are just reworking the same old thing.

innovation would occur now when someone takes the need (to stay warm) and combines with our desires (to look good) and approaches it from an entirely angle, say, no garments period.

or even this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sc...000/1554130.stm

Old Post 03-18-2002 11:58 PM
Inky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inky Click here to Send Inky a Private Message Find more posts by Inky Add Inky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote