The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Sensory Overload > Asylum Book Club > What are you reading?
Pages (73): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Rav
Nothing

Question What are you reading?

I'm currently half way through Vol IV of the Flashman Papers - Flashman At The Charge by George MacDonald Fraser.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-21-2002 11:55 PM
Rav is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rav Find more posts by Rav Add Rav to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rav
Nothing

*silly me*

Last edited by Rav on 03-22-2002 at 12:16 AM

Old Post 03-22-2002 12:02 AM
Rav is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rav Find more posts by Rav Add Rav to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nutrimentia
plata o plomo

• Mac OSX Unleashed
  • Unix in 24 hours
  • The Feeling of What Happens by Antonio Damasio
  • The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman
  • Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstadter
  • Consilience by E.O. Wilson
  • and a bunch of magazines like NewScientist, American Scientist, Discover, and Macworld

Last edited by Nutrimentia on 03-22-2002 at 02:31 AM

Old Post 03-22-2002 01:01 AM
Nutrimentia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nutrimentia Click here to Send Nutrimentia a Private Message Visit Nutrimentia's homepage! Find more posts by Nutrimentia Add Nutrimentia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goatboy
the anticlimax

On a Beam of Light - Gene Brewer (KPax sequel)

Legend of Bagger Vance and Tides of War both by Stephen Pressfield (read Gates of Fire by this man - exilent)

Old Post 03-22-2002 01:13 AM
Goatboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goatboy Click here to Send Goatboy a Private Message Find more posts by Goatboy Add Goatboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WastedPotential
sociotard

still chugging through Balkan Ghosts - Robert D. Kaplan.
that and the espanol textbook, as well as my bilingual edition of Martin Fierro.

Up next is some book on irish revolution that i brought with me for some reason. it's a textbook of sorts.

Old Post 03-22-2002 01:50 AM
WastedPotential is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WastedPotential Click here to Send WastedPotential a Private Message Find more posts by WastedPotential Add WastedPotential to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roshigoth
The Cheesemeister

The Collapse of Evolution by Scott M. Huse
Darwin's God by Cornelius G. Hunter

They're a couple creationist books I'm reading for my Origins class. They're full of a whole bunch of bad science (some of which is relatively obvious in Huse's case) that they try to pass off as evidence that evolution is false and Creationism is true. It's... amusing, except I've got to write a paper in response to the Hunter book.

Old Post 03-22-2002 03:19 AM
Roshigoth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roshigoth Click here to Send Roshigoth a Private Message Find more posts by Roshigoth Add Roshigoth to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
raginghobo
death

Watership Down by Richard Adams, this is such a fucking rich piece of fantasy writing the mind boggles.

Old Post 03-22-2002 03:21 AM
raginghobo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for raginghobo Click here to Send raginghobo a Private Message Find more posts by raginghobo Add raginghobo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

A Martha Grimes book. She is a limey so it's me reading while i have to read it in my head with an accent and the inflection in which they speak. Luckily i have met enough of you to understand, and that dry wit is my humor of choice.

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Old Post 03-22-2002 04:16 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Buried Life
lurks.

The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower pt. II) by STephen King. One of the coolest books ever.

Old Post 03-22-2002 04:52 AM
The Buried Life is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Buried Life Click here to Send The Buried Life a Private Message Find more posts by The Buried Life Add The Buried Life to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buddha's penis
has it all

lolita, by vladimir nabokov.
(insert goatboy joke here)

Old Post 03-22-2002 05:35 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

I just read Trading With the Enemy - Seduction and Betrayal on Jim Cramer's Wall Street by Nicolas W. Maier

Also a bit of CIA, Inc: Espionage & the Craft of Business Intelligence by F. W. Rustmann Jr. So far its kind of boring and hasn't told me anything new.

I am reading Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg as well. I used to subscribe to the now defunct Brill's Content, for some reason the media and the editorial process kind of fascinates me, so this book is interesting in parts, obvious in others.

I am also reading a few white papers with titles like "GIS in Disaster Management".

D

Old Post 03-22-2002 06:16 AM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
karen
Lesser Satan

The Life of Elizabeth I (yet another liz biography. Ive read probably hundreds)

Ghosts of Tidewater and surrounding environs

Sense and Sensibility (Rereading for Bunkum. She quizzed me last time. hooker.)

Old Post 03-22-2002 07:29 PM
karen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for karen Click here to Send karen a Private Message Find more posts by karen Add karen to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pj
Captain America

Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden. this book is hilarious because of the fact that it was a comedy of errors. the fact that it actually heppened makes one cringe. and glad that im not going to be eligable for the u.s.army. delta force are ok, but the army, nahhh!!!!!

oh yeah, and a buch of other books for my dissertation.

Old Post 03-23-2002 09:59 AM
pj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pj Click here to Send pj a Private Message Visit pj's homepage! Find more posts by pj Add pj to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kayla

i know this much is true - Wally Lamb

thanks to caff im reading A LOT. i just read 4 novels in less than a month.

Old Post 03-24-2002 09:46 PM
Kayla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kayla Click here to Send Kayla a Private Message Find more posts by Kayla Add Kayla to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

thank chelle for that last one, she was all "oh sistah, oprah told me bout this book, this book it was called this much is..." etc etc.
so I was all "cha-ching" buy buy.

Old Post 03-25-2002 06:17 AM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buddha's penis
has it all

i read that wally lamb book myself. it wasn't bad. sadly, it set an unreachable goal for any other "oprah's book club" selection i was to happen upon afterwards. the goal of not being bad.
i'm still reading lolita.

Old Post 03-25-2002 06:50 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kayla

Thank J00 chelle! I haven't started it yet. I keep picking it up, sitting on the couch, and doing something else! GAHHHH!

Old Post 03-25-2002 11:43 AM
Kayla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kayla Click here to Send Kayla a Private Message Find more posts by Kayla Add Kayla to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

More train trips are in order.

Old Post 03-25-2002 03:51 PM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buddha's penis
has it all

you go, girlfriend.

Old Post 03-25-2002 05:19 PM
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

I am intrigued by the great variety and literary merit of the books above, You are an above average reading group.

For me:
"Wellington as Military Commander" by Michael Glover
"Paradigms Lost" by John L. Casti
"60 Stories" by Donald Barthelme

Rav, have you read "Quartered Safe Out Here" or "McAuslan Entire" by George MacDonald Fraser? Both good.

DM- I found the same as you that "Bias" often stated the obvious.

Karen- If you are hooked on QE I stories I'd reccommend " A Crown For Elizabeth". It just covers her life in detail up to the time of her coronation but is very well written.

BP- I think that "Lolita" is one hell of a finely crafted book. It makes me want to read some more Nabokov.

Roshigoth--I just finished Darwin's "Voyage of the Beagle" and liked it very much.

Nutrimentia--Godel, Escher, Bach is great stuff.

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Old Post 04-09-2002 07:55 AM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buddha's penis
has it all

i agree about godel, escher, etc, but i can never seem to finish non-fiction. why, i do not know.
anyway, yes. lolita was very good. the whole portrait of the european gentleman was pretty damn funny, though maybe a (small) bit unintentional. not all, but a bit.

now i'm reading "beautiful losers", by leonard cohen. it's pulling me along very nicely. great so far. i think poets write good prose, though i don't much like poetry.

Old Post 04-09-2002 08:12 AM
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

Beautiful Losers is a great book. Not his best, but very good.

Man, was looking for a great quote I recently read by Leonard and can't find it. I thought it was in this interview but apparantly not.

I'm not really reading anything right now for fun (i.e. not for school). A collection of Raymond Carver that I pick out now and again is about it.

Old Post 04-09-2002 08:34 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oracular_Jinx
Contents under pressure

Douglas Coupland's Mircoserfs. I stopped reading for a bit. I have been focusing attention elsewhere. At the same time I bought Timothy Findley's Dust to Dust, and Genome by Matt Ridley. I think they're all Canadian. I guess I want to take pride in our culture

Old Post 04-09-2002 08:49 AM
Oracular_Jinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oracular_Jinx Click here to Send Oracular_Jinx a Private Message Visit Oracular_Jinx's homepage! Find more posts by Oracular_Jinx Add Oracular_Jinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
karen
Lesser Satan

Reading yet another novel on the life Elizabeth I (called Legacy, by Susan Kay)

Next up, a little change.. the life of Mary, Queen of Scots, and then one on Henry

Old Post 04-09-2002 08:49 AM
karen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for karen Click here to Send karen a Private Message Find more posts by karen Add karen to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

I think one of those I just finished though.
I am sleepy.

The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan
The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
The Stand - Stephen King
Contact - Carl Sagan
The Loved One - Evelyn Waugh
Samuel Johnson's Major Works - Samuel Johnson
Tao of Jeet Kune Do - Bruce Lee
Linux Mandrake in 24 Hours - Witherspoon
Propaganda and the Public Mind - Noam Chomsky
Rogue States - Noam Chomsky
Necessary Illusions - Noam Chomsky
Karl Marx's Selected Writings - Karl Marx

Old Post 04-09-2002 08:52 AM