The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > ~100~
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

~100~

I claim the prize for being the first member to live in a spot that hit 100 degrees.
I'm going to the bar to celebrate.
Neener to all you losers.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-30-2002 01:01 AM
wonderaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wonderaz Click here to Send wonderaz a Private Message Visit wonderaz's homepage! Find more posts by wonderaz Add wonderaz to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
horizon
I Win!

w00t

Old Post 05-30-2002 01:05 AM
horizon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for horizon Click here to Send horizon a Private Message Find more posts by horizon Add horizon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goatboy
the anticlimax

Celsius?

Old Post 05-30-2002 01:09 AM
Goatboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goatboy Click here to Send Goatboy a Private Message Find more posts by Goatboy Add Goatboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowmore
drive by drunk

I was repairing a vent over a pastry oven today while it was baking.

100 sounds wonderfully refreshing.

celleh.

Old Post 05-30-2002 01:32 AM
bowmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowmore Click here to Send bowmore a Private Message Find more posts by bowmore Add bowmore to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vegas
15 = micropenis

From the title of this thread and the opening words, I thought wonderaz was going to say he's the first member to hit 100 years old! Sheesh, was I wrong on that one!

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Old Post 05-30-2002 02:00 AM
Vegas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas Click here to Send Vegas a Private Message Find more posts by Vegas Add Vegas to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

ummm, it's been over 100 in minnesota many times, and id guess just about any state in the US.

Old Post 05-30-2002 02:02 AM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Let's hear it for Sedona!!! Hip, hip. hooray! Razz thats just a predictor of things to come.

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Last edited by oxsan on 05-30-2002 at 02:21 AM

Old Post 05-30-2002 02:16 AM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

quote:
Originally posted by Goatboy
Celsius?

Centigrade surely?

Old Post 05-30-2002 02:17 AM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inky
-------------------------

i thought this was an ancient thread celebrating your first 100 posts.

Old Post 05-30-2002 02:17 AM
Inky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inky Click here to Send Inky a Private Message Find more posts by Inky Add Inky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

quote:
Originally posted by Dingle
ummm, it's been over 100 in minnesota many times, and id guess just about any state in the US.

I'm sure it has, my little mongoloid puppy, just as I'm sure it has been below 100 with the wind chill factor in Miserablsota. That is why the life expectancy is around 40 there.
I was talking about THIS YEAR.

Old Post 05-30-2002 02:35 AM
wonderaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wonderaz Click here to Send wonderaz a Private Message Visit wonderaz's homepage! Find more posts by wonderaz Add wonderaz to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Vegas
From the title of this thread and the opening words, I thought wonderaz was going to say he's the first member to hit 100 years old! Sheesh, was I wrong on that one!

Give it a few more months and you'll be wrong no more.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 05-30-2002 04:47 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

quote:
Originally posted by wonderaz

I'm sure it has, my little mongoloid puppy, just as I'm sure it has been below 100 with the wind chill factor in Miserablsota. That is why the life expectancy is around 40 there.
I was talking about THIS YEAR.

we also have a thing here called "humidity" up here. It sometimes causes clouds and rain and stuff. Try taking your 100 degrees with 70% humidity sometime fairy boy.

Old Post 05-30-2002 04:51 AM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Dingle, hon, I've lived in TX and in MN. I moved here in December of 2000 after spending my last summer in God's Country with 97 days of no measurable precipitation and 77 consecutive days of 102F+ temperature. My birthday in 2000 was on Labor Day, and the official temperature in Dallas that day was 112F, I think. I'll guarantee you that on Elm St in downtown that day it was at least 122F with no shade or breeze, and the humidity was every bit as high as it is here in the Land of 10,000 Treatment Centers that year. Last summer here I think we had a few days over 100F (less than a week's worth, anyway), and you'd have thought the entire city was going to friggin die. I never saw so many miserable pasty white folks in my life. And they ain't nice about it here. At least down south the people deal with it and take it as a point of pride. AZ may be hot, but I'll bet they wouldn't like north central TX in August any more than you would.

Still, I LOVE the winters here. And I ain't bitchin. But this winter was pussy shit. We had hardly any days below zero in the Twin Cities this winter. Not much snow. Hardly what I expected from this place after all the tough talk I got from folks I knew from up here. The winter of 2001 was nice enough, but I was acclimated after about two weeks. Folks down south are just cut a little rougher. I don't hold it against ya. I just feel sorry for you white folks bein as soft as ya are and all.

Raz, I think AZ is beautiful. But Sedona's a bit of a tourist trap from what I hear. What with all the folks hangin out waitin on the Harmonic Convergence and rubbin their rune stones, I'd wanna puke. They clutter up the countryside with all that chantin and followin their inner hairy men around the hills. I'll keep MN so long as Sigmo's here. But my heart'll always be in TX among the post oak and cedar and mesquite and rattlesnakes and dusty hills and shades of Comanche and dead pioneers.

Old Post 05-30-2002 05:12 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

This is what heaven looks like to me:

Old Post 05-30-2002 05:13 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yMQ
slow, takin it easy

yeah, its been over the century mark a few times in texas already..

Old Post 05-30-2002 05:29 AM
yMQ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yMQ Click here to Send yMQ a Private Message Find more posts by yMQ Add yMQ to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
But Sedona's a bit of a tourist trap from what I hear.

They all come to see the world's oldest man who can still operate a keyboard.

Old Post 05-30-2002 09:51 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BnB
Suck My Ass

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git

They all come to see the world's oldest man who can still operate a keyboard.

I thought they came to see the only man in Az that needs a Balloon to get it up.

Old Post 05-30-2002 12:43 PM
BnB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BnB Click here to Send BnB a Private Message Find more posts by BnB Add BnB to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dreamengineer
Master of Dumbfuckery

I hope you were meaning 100 degrees Farenheit
because the temperature required for blood to boil in celsius is 36-37.
so unless you are plotted up in death-valley or have booked a trip to the far side of Mercury

Your temperature gauge is telling fibs!:fire:

Old Post 05-30-2002 01:11 PM
Dreamengineer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dreamengineer Click here to Send Dreamengineer a Private Message Find more posts by Dreamengineer Add Dreamengineer to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

Yes, I meant Farenheit. Outside of laboratories and antiquated third world countries, that is how you measure tempurature.
YmQ, Texas does not count since it is not really part of the real world but a subcontinent of the US that isn't really fit for proper human habitation.
Mugtoe, you shouldn't go on hearsay, it only makes you look foolish. The newage freaks are nothing but a tiny percentage of the population and are an extremely benign group to have around, humorous too.
Plus, I would take this...

Or this (this shot was taken from one of our balloons a while back)

...over that Tejas scrub country any day.
(I have hunted snakes in the Davis Mountains area and love that part of Texas)

The rest of you can make all the loser comments you want but you are still losers.

Old Post 05-30-2002 05:08 PM
Oracular_Jinx
Contents under pressure

Vegas, I thought the same thing as you.
I figured Wonderaz was announcing his 100th birthday.
What a let down

Old Post 05-30-2002 05:10 PM
Oracular_Jinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oracular_Jinx Click here to Send Oracular_Jinx a Private Message Visit Oracular_Jinx's homepage! Find more posts by Oracular_Jinx Add Oracular_Jinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

I think that Fahrenheit was designed so that 0F was the boiling point of seawater and 100F was supposed to be blood temperature (which goes to show something of an error in the original measurements as blood temperature is now considered to be 98.4 I think).

Centigrade/Celcius are already imbedded in one use in the US, because they are part of what defines a calorie (what you call calories in connection with food are actually kilocalories), which is set so that 1 calorie of energy will heat 1 gramme (more metric!) of water by 1 C.

In the UK, centigrade are probably about the only piece of metric that people use regularly, although I guess that in time things will move more metric (particularly in light of EU legislation) although I reckon that pints and miles/mph will last quite a long time, as will feet and inches for height.

Old Post 05-30-2002 05:36 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cranium Fornication
Old No. 7 is my vice..

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
I think that Fahrenheit was designed so that 0F was the boiling point of seawater and 100F was supposed to be blood temperature (which goes to show something of an error in the original measurements as blood temperature is now considered to be 98.4 I think).

Not sure what you are talkign about Smug or if you are still asleep..
Temperature History lession:
It was in 1724 that Gabriel Fahrenheit, an instrument maker of Däanzig and Amsterdam, used mercury as the thermometric liquid. Mercury's thermal expansion is large and fairly uniform, it does not adhere to the glass, and it remains a liquid over a wide range of temperatures. Its silvery appearance makes it easy to read.

Fahrenheit described how he calibrated the scale of his mercury thermometer:

"placing the thermometer in a mixture of sal ammoniac or sea salt, ice, and water a point on the scale will be found which is denoted as zero. A second point is obtained if the same mixture is used without salt. Denote this position as 30. A third point, designated as 96, is obtained if the thermometer is placed in the mouth so as to acquire the heat of a healthy man." (D. G. Fahrenheit,Phil. Trans. (London) 33, 78, 1724)
On this scale, Fahrenheit measured the boiling point of water to be 212. Later he adjusted the freezing point of water to 32 so that the interval between the boiling and freezing points of water could be represented by the more rational number 180. Temperatures measured on this scale are designated as degrees Fahrenheit (° F).

In 1745, Carolus Linnaeus of Upsula, Sweden, described a scale in which the freezing point of water was zero, and the boiling point 100, making it a centigrade (one hundred steps) scale. Anders Celsius (1701-1744) used the reverse scale in which 100 represented the freezing point and zero the boiling point of water, still, of course, with 100 degrees between the two defining points.

In 1948 use of the Centigrade scale was dropped in favor of a new scale using degrees Celsius (° C). The Celsius scale is defined by the following two items that will be discussed later in this essay:
(i) the triple point of water is defined to be 0.01 C
(ii) a degree Celsius equals the same temperature change as a degree on the ideal-gas scale.

On the Celsius scale the boiling point of water at standard atmospheric pressure is 99.975 C in contrast to the 100 degrees defined by the Centigrade scale.

Old Post 05-30-2002 06:01 PM
Cranium Fornication is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cranium Fornication Click here to Send Cranium Fornication a Private Message Visit Cranium Fornication's homepage! Find more posts by Cranium Fornication Add Cranium Fornication to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by wonderaz
. . . Plus, I would take this...

Or this (this shot was taken from one of our balloons a while back)

...over that Tejas scrub country any day. . . .

The jackass loves his erosion.

Amen.

Old Post 05-30-2002 06:07 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

JEB was here, he knows how it looks.

Old Post 05-30-2002 06:11 PM
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Two questions Razz
Are you a herpetologist?
Have you seen any witches in the Guadalquivir (I may have misspelled that) Mountains?

Old Post 05-30-2002 06:26 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote