The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > WIT - Whore Institute of Technology > are PDAs worth bothering with
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
ItsJustLogan
le pour soi

are PDAs worth bothering with

i need something i can take quick notes on and keep an address book and schedule on.

maybe something like this? http://www.palm.com/products/palmm105/

is it possible to write off quick notes on a pda? make adjustments to things quickly and simply with the stylus?

or am i just hoping for something that doesn't exist to come along and save my hopelessly unorganized ass?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-01-2002 10:58 PM
ItsJustLogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsJustLogan Click here to Send ItsJustLogan a Private Message Find more posts by ItsJustLogan Add ItsJustLogan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rav
Nothing

I've got a Palm V and I use it a lot. Something like that should be perfect for what you say you need.

Old Post 06-01-2002 11:10 PM
Rav is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rav Click here to Send Rav a Private Message Find more posts by Rav Add Rav to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cid2001
yah..whateva...

i was wondering the same thing..these PDA's are changing so much that they are all so outdated by the time they come to the public market..i think they are in their infancy and will obviously only get better...kinda like buying a PC..pay top $$$ now or wait a few months for the newer model that is better and the same price...and on and on...who all has them and what models? from what ive see the compaq ipaq is the shit..but expensive...hell i bought a P3 500mhz laptop for $500 used...

*edit for shitty spelling*

Old Post 06-02-2002 08:11 PM
Cid2001 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cid2001 Click here to Send Cid2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Cid2001 Add Cid2001 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsJustLogan
le pour soi

from what i've seen all the expensive ones have all these crazy internet features and such. i really don't need that.

i just want a more advanced and comprehensive notepad for or less than $100.

Old Post 06-03-2002 02:47 AM
ItsJustLogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsJustLogan Click here to Send ItsJustLogan a Private Message Find more posts by ItsJustLogan Add ItsJustLogan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
torque
SupaTwistyPowa!

Logan:

I've owned a few PDAs. I think that people who use PDA's well are people who used notepads and pens well to begin with. I'm very scattered and disorganized on note taking and retention. The PDAs just gave me something to play with in meetings, and added no organization to my life.

The only one that worked out really well was the Handspring Visor, I got it for free for attending a seminar, and got some add on stuff for it after a while of not using it, now it is a supercool master remote control for home audio and video

If you are good and faithful with a paper dayrunner, go for it. If you write stuff on receipts for no reason, and wash them regularly, spend the money on a video game console instead.

Old Post 06-04-2002 06:09 PM
torque is offline Click Here to See the Profile for torque Click here to Send torque a Private Message Find more posts by torque Add torque to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lu
Soul Amputated

so let me get on top of this issue.... so you want to know if PDAs or Public Displays of Affection are worth it at all.... it depends on what you are going for and your personal moral choices.... will you be embarrassed to exercise the use of the PDA or will it become addictive... lets remember nothing is more annoying than PDA in a restaurant, no one wants to see you do it, hear you do it... it is downright rude. Now, PDA in the workplace... it depends on when you use it and how you use it... the bosses don't want to see you with your PDA all day long, because they might become jealous and they will recognize you are not working.....

... I dedicate the contribution to dingle, as well as all of my comp sci skillz

Old Post 06-04-2002 06:44 PM
Lu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lu Click here to Send Lu a Private Message Find more posts by Lu Add Lu to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

quote:
Originally posted by Lu
...Public Displays of Affection...

This is the nerd forum madam. Please refrain from posting such lewd phrases in future, or we might have an accident. A spawning accident. *shudder*

Old Post 06-04-2002 11:34 PM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lu
Soul Amputated

is that a threat bitch?

Old Post 06-05-2002 07:49 AM
Lu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lu Click here to Send Lu a Private Message Find more posts by Lu Add Lu to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

I don't make threats. Just promises, asshole.

Old Post 06-05-2002 09:52 AM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lu
Soul Amputated

well.. I was kidding 'asshole'.... sorry sir.

Old Post 06-06-2002 08:59 AM
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

i have a clie t615c and i just charged it for the first time in a month. i am still horribly unorganized and i feel like a total geek using the thing, so generally it stays put away until later when I forget what I was going to put in it.

Old Post 06-06-2002 09:07 AM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rav
Nothing

quote:
Originally posted by ItsJustLogan
from what i've seen all the expensive ones have all these crazy internet features and such. i really don't need that.

i just want a more advanced and comprehensive notepad for or less than $100.

Look on ebay!

Old Post 06-06-2002 01:20 PM
Rav is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rav Click here to Send Rav a Private Message Find more posts by Rav Add Rav to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cid2001
yah..whateva...

Heres a PDA question: do ALL of them run IE? reason i ask is i work for a SW company that is developing sw for 'palms' that will be wireless and is used to sell things on as well as possibly do wireless barcoding..but they want to develop the SW to only run on PDA's that run IE...isnt that restricted to the ones running windows CE?...i dont know shit bout them so i thought id ask...

if they do run IE any idea which brands do?

Old Post 06-07-2002 03:59 PM
Cid2001 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cid2001 Click here to Send Cid2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Cid2001 Add Cid2001 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
squee
the amen break

You need to look into your options. Wireless internet is great, all that is great, but figuring out exactly how it all goes together is proving to be a pain in the ass.

The Chicago Board of Ed. bought my dad a Visor Edge last year, which I inherited because he never used it. It's small so it's perfect for use on the ship...I use it to keep track of my finances with PocketMoney (which after three months of use suddenly thinks it's shareware...it's not...fuckers) and as a memo pad, phone & address book, and datebook. Very useful.

However I don't own a computer...so I can't use a lot of the features I want...for instance, I want to be able to download city maps on the go, send e-mail without having to synch it with any computer, etc. All of this is provided by various shiznits like AvantGo, but...do I need some kind of modem? Does it hook into my cell phone? Etc. These are all questions the folks at Palm have yet to answer me about (and don't even bother asking any of the clerks at the puter store...they are clueless...)

When I get some answers I will get back to ya...

Old Post 06-10-2002 03:46 AM
squee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squee Click here to Send squee a Private Message Find more posts by squee Add squee to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

quote:
Originally posted by Cid2001
Heres a PDA question: do ALL of them run IE? reason i ask is i work for a SW company that is developing sw for 'palms' that will be wireless and is used to sell things on as well as possibly do wireless barcoding..but they want to develop the SW to only run on PDA's that run IE...isnt that restricted to the ones running windows CE?...i dont know shit bout them so i thought id ask...

if they do run IE any idea which brands do?

IE is restricted to the CE based PDA's. PalmOS based PDA's have a variety of browsers available. It seems to vary from brand to brand.

Old Post 06-10-2002 09:36 AM
ItsJustLogan
le pour soi

see, i don't care about all that stuff.

Old Post 06-14-2002 10:32 AM
zornkugel
Absentee

I know this is an old thread, and I'm sure you've purchased your PDA already, but I love my Handspring Visor Deluxe, and I use AvantGo for web content (offline only at this point in time).

Old Post 10-19-2002 05:56 PM
zornkugel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zornkugel Click here to Send zornkugel a Private Message Find more posts by zornkugel Add zornkugel to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
squee
the amen break

I would suggest you skip anything by visor because my own experience has been that none of the stores around here (Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc.) carry any Visor peripherals or products. So I have to order things like, for instance, a goddamn charger so I can use the damn thing again.

Looking into getting a Palm at half.com.

Old Post 10-20-2002 03:55 PM
squee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squee Click here to Send squee a Private Message Find more posts by squee Add squee to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zornkugel
Absentee

Squee, I think that depends on the area you are in - the stores (especially BestBuys) up here in my area have tons of stuff.

Old Post 10-21-2002 12:32 AM
zornkugel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zornkugel Click here to Send zornkugel a Private Message Find more posts by zornkugel Add zornkugel to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Wraith
Sergeant of Marines

I own many iPaqs. I love them.

Old Post 10-21-2002 06:32 PM
The Wraith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Wraith Click here to Send The Wraith a Private Message Find more posts by The Wraith Add The Wraith to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WastedPotential
sociotard

i'm a new ipaq user, and i just want to say that for the price of one, i would rather buy a used laptop, even (forbid) a windows laptop, since CE is like windows, only less powerful and more retarded (clunkier). I doubt i could ever write notes with any efficiency on a handheld, i can type magnitudes faster. If i do anything in the field, my interaction with the computer should be restricted to drop-down menus and buttons. entering notes just isn't going to happen. My iBook is 9x11x1, and i don't mind carrying that size machine around. The iPaq is truly powerful for it's size, but the quality of the display is just so-so.

I don't know how the ipaq compares to other handhelds (besides the prehistoric apple newton MP120), but i'm guessing it's top of the line. having said that, though, i don't believe a handheld will be the portable computing solution for me for another couple years. my handheld needs video out, a dvd drive, a 20 GB HD, a USB keyboard, and a firewire port. I guess what i need is an iPod that runs MS office and plays DVDs. If it can meet those demands, it can pretty much do anything i would need it to do. Oh, it also needs to be about the size of a pack of cigarettes, too. thanks.

Old Post 10-22-2002 01:35 AM
WastedPotential is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WastedPotential Click here to Send WastedPotential a Private Message Find more posts by WastedPotential Add WastedPotential to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

You forgot the holographic display...

Old Post 10-22-2002 12:53 PM