The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Mammnals In The Wild
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Mammnals In The Wild

Just to see how well you know the wildlife of your nation (The US) I have listed nearly all the mammals which occur in the US below' It is not a perfect list because I have not listed bats, whales or a few other unusual forms of Mammalia and have combined twenty or thirty mice and rats into just "mouse" and "rat". How about skimming through the list below and telling me by post below how many of the mammals below you have seen IN THE WILD.
Zoos don't count. Then post that number. Since I used to do zoological population survey work my count will probably be larger than most . It is thirty for me out of the 55 categories. What is your number?

MAMMALS OF THE US:

opossum, mole, shrew, armadillo, polar bear, black bear, grizzly bear, Alaskan brown bear, wolf, coyote, fox, ocelot, mountain lion, lynx, bobcat, raccoon, coatimundi, ringtail cat (cacomistl), marten, fisher, weasel, ferret, mink, wolverine, otter, skunk, badger, seal/walrus/sea lion, manatee, porcupine, beaver, nutria, muskrat,aplodontia, vole, lemming, gopher, marmot, woodchuck, squirrel, chipmunk, prairie dog, rat, mouse, cottontail rabbit, jackrabbit, javelina (peccary), e3lk, deer, moose, caribou, pronghorn antelope, bison (buffalo), bighorn sheep, mountain goat.

Seeing them in the wild on TV doesn't count. Eyeball only.

How about posting how many of those you have seen in the wild
Those in parentheses are just explanations of the names preceeding them.

Scoring:
0 to 10--you need to get out more
10 to 20--you are observant
Over 20--you are a damn wildlife expert.

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-08-2002 03:16 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

Old Post 06-08-2002 03:22 PM
morgana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgana Click here to Send morgana a Private Message Visit morgana's homepage! Find more posts by morgana Add morgana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

I have 12, although I don't know what an Ocelot is.

Old Post 06-08-2002 03:40 PM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeyCat
Felis Dominatus

Old Post 06-08-2002 03:44 PM
JoeyCat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoeyCat Click here to Send JoeyCat a Private Message Find more posts by JoeyCat Add JoeyCat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roshigoth
The Cheesemeister

Does dead on the side of the road count as "in the wild"?

Umm... I think about 11. A couple I'm not sure of, especially since I wouldn't know some of these if I saw them.

Old Post 06-08-2002 03:54 PM
Roshigoth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roshigoth Click here to Send Roshigoth a Private Message Find more posts by Roshigoth Add Roshigoth to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

It is a lot like a miniature leopard. It is bigger than a house cat but smaller than a jaguar. Ocelot is what I'm talking about. Very rare in the US, but occasional strays come into Arizona and Texas from Mexico.

Old Post 06-08-2002 03:57 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Yes, DOR (Dead On Road) counts as "In the Wild"

Old Post 06-08-2002 03:59 PM
CRSR
°Hits Moi!°

But i live in Canada so i dont know if it counts

Old Post 06-08-2002 04:06 PM
CRSR is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CRSR Click here to Send CRSR a Private Message Find more posts by CRSR Add CRSR to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CAL
Damn Your Eyes!!

43 seen
19 killed

It's obvious I have a lot of work ahead of me...

CAL :cool2:

"Oh you're from Europe? Which part? The one whose ass we saved or the one whose ass we kicked?"

Old Post 06-08-2002 04:57 PM
CAL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CAL Click here to Send CAL a Private Message Find more posts by CAL Add CAL to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

you scare me sometimes.

but...uh...that's in a good way...

*backs away slowly*

Old Post 06-08-2002 04:59 PM
morgana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgana Click here to Send morgana a Private Message Visit morgana's homepage! Find more posts by morgana Add morgana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Princess_Heather
long gone

opossum, mole, shrew, black bear, Alaskan brown bear, coyote, fox, bobcat, raccoon, mink, otter, skunk, seal/walrus/sea lion, porcupine, beaver, gopher, squirrel, chipmunk, rat, mouse, cottontail rabbit, elk, deer, moose.

Old Post 06-08-2002 05:06 PM
Princess_Heather is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Princess_Heather Click here to Send Princess_Heather a Private Message Find more posts by Princess_Heather Add Princess_Heather to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Of course Canada counts--why else put in the lemmings. Although we have lemmings in a few northern states.

Old Post 06-08-2002 05:07 PM
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

43 is a fantastic score Cal. How about listing the 12 you have NOT seen?

Old Post 06-08-2002 05:11 PM
CRSR
°Hits Moi!°

quote:
Just to see how well you know the wildlife of your nation (The US)

I do not live in the US......

Old Post 06-08-2002 05:12 PM
CRSR is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CRSR Click here to Send CRSR a Private Message Find more posts by CRSR Add CRSR to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Princess_Heather
long gone

The mink probably doesn't really count because it was dead, smooshed on the side of the road.

Old Post 06-08-2002 05:13 PM
Princess_Heather is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Princess_Heather Click here to Send Princess_Heather a Private Message Find more posts by Princess_Heather Add Princess_Heather to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weedy
Fluffy Bunny

Hi Oxsan,
On my rare trips to the US I have seen a racoon (is this a subspecies of something on your list) and also humpback whales off the coast of Boston (does this count)? The whale watching is something that I have wanted to do all my life and I have to say it was pretty fantastic, and not something you should leave off your list of US prize wildlife.

Weedy

Old Post 06-09-2002 12:48 AM
weedy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for weedy Click here to Send weedy a Private Message Find more posts by weedy Add weedy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nymbus
incognito

16. Of course, I thought woodchucks and prairie dogs were the same, and that bobcats and mountail lions were the same.

Old Post 06-09-2002 01:57 AM
nymbus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nymbus Click here to Send nymbus a Private Message Find more posts by nymbus Add nymbus to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CAL
Damn Your Eyes!!

opossum, mole, shrew, armadillo, black bear, coyote, fox, mountain lion, lynx, bobcat, raccoon, ringtail cat (cacomistl), marten, fisher, weasel, ferret, mink, otter, skunk, badger, seal/walrus/sea lion, porcupine, beaver, nutria, muskrat, vole, lemming, gopher, marmot, woodchuck, squirrel, chipmunk, prairie dog, rat, mouse, cottontail rabbit, jackrabbit, javelina (peccary), elk, deer, moose, pronghorn antelope, bison (buffalo).

What I have seen is listed above.

What I have killed is in bold. My numbers were off, I guess i've killed one more than I thought.

Seen: 43
Killed: 20
Could have killed but laws, closed seasons or no desire to prevented it (meaning I had a gun in my hand and was more than capable): 10

"Oh you're from Europe? Which part? The one whose ass we saved or the one whose ass we kicked?"

Old Post 06-09-2002 02:15 AM
CAL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CAL Click here to Send CAL a Private Message Find more posts by CAL Add CAL to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bunkum
Sanditon

Re: Mammnals In The Wild

opossum, mole, shrew, coyote, fox, raccoon, fisher, weasel, otter, skunk, badger, seal/walrus/sea lion, porcupine, beaver, muskrat, gopher, woodchuck, squirrel, chipmunk, dog, rat, mouse, cottontail rabbit, deer,

Over 20--you are a damn wildlife expert.

Repertoire rather limited, though.

--pervscan.com

Old Post 06-09-2002 02:21 AM
bunkum is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bunkum Click here to Send bunkum a Private Message Find more posts by bunkum Add bunkum to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CRSR
°Hits Moi!°

The killing of a Beaver is probaly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Old Post 06-09-2002 04:48 AM
buddha's penis
has it all

Re: Mammnals In The Wild

quote:
Originally posted by oxsan
opossum, mole, shrew, black bear, wolf, coyote, raccoon, otter, skunk, seal/walrus/sea lion, beaver, gopher, squirrel, chipmunk, prairie dog, rat, mouse, cottontail rabbit, jackrabbit, elk, deer, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat.

so, 24?
you see a lot of animals going through the rockies.

ps. crsr, i agree.

Old Post 06-09-2002 04:56 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CAL
Damn Your Eyes!!

quote:
Originally posted by CRSR
The killing of a Beaver is probaly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

The Canadians perfected it to a science, so my fur hat off to your stupidity...

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:42 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I saw the biggest beaver I've ever seen in my life the other day right in the shadow of downtown Minneapolis in the Mississippi River. It was sittin on a half-submerged tree trunk chewin the bark off of a limb about as big around as my thumb. It was as big as a medium-sized dog and was unperturbed at all the folks standin on the bridge overhead talkin to it. Looked like a cross between my German Shepherd and a rat.

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:51 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CRSR
°Hits Moi!°

aye we did, but that was back when you could buy some whiskey for a bit of beaver.....now it takes alot of whiskey to get a peice of beaver.

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:52 AM
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

I saw a squirrel once.

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:53 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote