The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Images Of Desanctity > Texas trip
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Texas trip

I'll be in Texas from 5 July - 12 July

I'll be in Dallas the weekend of the fifth. I dunno anybody down there except for Lu. It'd be nice to see you at Hererra's or something. I don't get much good Tex-Mex up here in the frozen north. I don't know if you guys know each other or not, or like each other if you do. In any case, I know Lu and theMAC are in the metroplex. I'm headin out to the farm that Sunday, so I won't be available for pubic appearances after that until I come back to Dallas on Thursday or so.

Lemme know...or don't, as you wish.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-09-2002 12:27 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

I once walked straight across Texas. I did it in an hour and half.

Old Post 06-09-2002 12:35 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Postmodgirl
quivering arshle

I can't make it on the 5th.

BUT

the odds are decent that I may be in Dallas and/or San Antonio sometime within the next coming months. Probally around the holidays... or whenever.

Mug, I highly suggest Deep Ellum for you

and thar ya ar!

Old Post 06-09-2002 12:37 AM
Postmodgirl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Postmodgirl Click here to Send Postmodgirl a Private Message Visit Postmodgirl's homepage! Find more posts by Postmodgirl Add Postmodgirl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

No President should ever go to Dallas again. He should stick with Ft. Worth.

Old Post 06-09-2002 12:39 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

PMG, I lived in Dallas for 37 years. I thank you for the suggestion, but Deep Ellum is not what it was when I was in high school. It's been sanitized into a theme park. At the risk of sounding hipper than thou (and I don't mean to), I doubt if there's anything anyone could tell me about Dallas that I don't already know - at least as far as places I'd want to check out.
Deep Ellum is a good place to see music and drink, I suppose, since there's a high concentration of clubs in a small area. I'll mostly be stopping to visit friends who I haven't seen in a couple of years and to have some Tex-Mex food that's real. I also need to spend some time with my mom. I left Texas without saying goodbye to her and didn't see her on my last trip south. The rest of the trip, I'll be at Oxsan's playin on the tractor and eatin his groceries.

The last time I went home, I felt like I was walking into the belly of the Beast without permission. This time I feel more like I'm going to see an old friend for a short visit. Someday, I'll retire back to my home state and we'll both be completed in a sense.

Old Post 06-09-2002 01:14 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Postmodgirl
quivering arshle

I did not know that you was a resident at one point. I recomended it via a recomendation of an uncle who wrote a book about it (deep ellum and the white track I think is the title).

ah well

Old Post 06-09-2002 01:24 AM
Postmodgirl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Postmodgirl Click here to Send Postmodgirl a Private Message Visit Postmodgirl's homepage! Find more posts by Postmodgirl Add Postmodgirl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

There's a song called Deep Ellum Blues by Robert Johnson that the Dead covered at one point. It was the black part of town back in the 20s, and has had a pretty colorful history. It's got a lot of great bars and clubs in it now, but it's full of kids and drunks and wannabes headin out to get a tat.
It's been landscaped, fer pete's sake. Still, it's a fun place to walk around and people-watch every now and then.
I went to the Arts Magnet High School a few blocks from there and graduated in 81. Back then, Deep Ellum was really just a warehouse district with a few seminal clubs taking form there, and it was kind of dangerous and interesting. Now it's safe and, well...safe.

Old Post 06-09-2002 01:42 AM
yMQ
slow, takin it easy

are all texans invited?

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:37 AM
yMQ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yMQ Click here to Send yMQ a Private Message Find more posts by yMQ Add yMQ to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Of course you are. Though I'm not sure to what. I was thinkin that anybody who wanted to could meet me for lunch or dinner at Hererra's or somethin in Dallas that Saturday or somethin. I dunno. I just know that I miss eatin there, and they ain't got nothin like it up here. The one I'm thinkin of is over on Maple Ave. There's a big one down at Hudnall and Denton Dr down the street, or the one near Oak Lawn and Maple. Food's cheap, and there's plenty of it - so it'll make a turd. And with all the habanero they put in their sauce, you get to enjoy it twice.

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:43 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

There's a bar-b-que joint in Dallas I really like. I've been there only a coupla times, but if my memory serves me correctly, I recall it's somewheres near SMU. It's called Dickey's. Ever eaten there? Mmmm mmmm good.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:44 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

and I'll bring my digital cam, though it won't amount to a pissup. I ain't drinkin, and I ain't gettin nekkid in public anymore. That caveat doesn't extend to the rest of you, of course.

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:45 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Of course I've eaten at Dickey's. There's more than one of em, though. There's also Fred's BBQ in Irving, which is count. And Harvey's over by Texas Stadium that's been there since before I was born, I think. And Sonny Bryan's on Inwood and Harry Hines. But I can get decent BBQ anytime right here in Mpls at Famous Dave's, and they're a client of mine anyway. In fact, I raided Sonny Bryan's to staff the new Dave's joints goin up in the DFW area.

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:47 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
Of course I've eaten at Dickey's. There's more than one of em, though. . . .

Yeah, I've noticed Dickey's has been movin' up the interstate. The one I'm talkin' about, though, ain't it the original one?

Amen.

p.s. The BEST bbq joints in the world are waaaay south o' Minnesota 'n' 1-2 hours north o' the Red River. Don't even bother arguin' wif me, 'cause I kin eat more ribs than you can.

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:55 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

There's this great place in Austin, near the Capitol Building.

Old Post 06-09-2002 05:56 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Best BBQ joints in the world are in TX where it was invented. That may be an entirely different thread. I don't eat much ribs. I eat briscuit. I ain't gonna pay all that money for somethin that I have to work that hard on. I'm built for comfort, not speed, and I like slice beef sammiches and iced tea and tater salad and slaw and cornbread and a slice or two of raw onion and some cobbler or chess pie to finish it off.

And then, of course, I drink a glass of metamucil and shit like a coon.

Old Post 06-09-2002 06:22 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
Best BBQ joints in the world are in TX where it was invented.

Of course, that's kakadoodie 'bout BBQ bein' invented in Texas, but that's neither here nor there. Your statement does point out a definite line which, curiously enough, is more or less drawn by the red river. In Texas, the strong BBQ is beef and, yes, I love good brisquit. In Oklahoma, the strong BBQ is pork, ribs in particular.

Amen.

Old Post 06-09-2002 06:50 AM
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

I love French cuisine. I only eat at the fanciest restaurants, such as the 21 Club, Le Grenouille, The Four Seasons and Papaya King!!

Old Post 06-09-2002 06:51 AM
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

(That's one of those jokes I tell just for myself, sorry.)

Old Post 06-09-2002 06:52 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I used to BBQ outside the rooster pits in Thackerville and Marietta, JEB. Beef short ribs and briscuit, thank you.

Amen.

Oh, and I LOVE frog legs. 'cept there's always one in the batch that tastes like he shit himself when they did him in.

I keep thinkin bout that cartoon with the frogs on little wheelboards outside the kitchen.

Old Post 06-09-2002 07:18 AM
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

Old Post 06-09-2002 07:24 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

yup, that's the one!

Old Post 06-09-2002 07:25 AM
ItsJustLogan
le pour soi

make the dinner date a little late in the stay and i'll find a way to be there. i'll bei n VA for thr 4th, probably spend 1-2 days there, then, depending on who is still there, i had plans to go either north to bostonish or west to CO. that could easily be changed to taking a southward dip into texas, since i was half planning to go there after CO anyway and it's quasi on the way.

Old Post 06-09-2002 06:52 PM
ItsJustLogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsJustLogan Click here to Send ItsJustLogan a Private Message Find more posts by ItsJustLogan Add ItsJustLogan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I'll have a car that week, as it turns out, so we can set a date just about any time in that week. If I'm at the farm, I can come into town for dinner sometime. I doubt if I could talk Oxsan into coming with, however.

Old Post 06-09-2002 07:31 PM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Come to think of it, however, perhaps JEB could bring Fred down one day during that week and enjoy some REAL Tex-Mex food one night that week. I could work on Dad on that score, but I wouldn't want to make any commitments on his behalf. Spending that much time away from home is a trial for him, I would think. And like me, he doesn't care too much for people making commitments on his behalf without prior consultation.

Old Post 06-09-2002 07:34 PM
theMAC
lone gunman for the govt

hmmm

mug, ole boy I live a couple hours east of dallas.
I am supposed to be out of town from the 4th to th 7th but I might be able to pencil you in for the 11th or 12th...have your people call my people (or just email me)
Where's the farm? If you are near enough, there are several of us in the Tyler area.

Old Post 06-10-2002 05:07 AM
theMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for theMAC Click here to Send theMAC a Private Message Find more posts by theMAC Add theMAC to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote