The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > police dog accused of racial profiling-leading to calls that the canine be killed.
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

Angry police dog accused of racial profiling-leading to calls that the canine be killed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,55010,00.html

McKEES ROCKS, Pa. — A Pennsylvania councilwoman has accused her borough's lone police dog of racial profiling, leading to calls that the canine be killed.

Dolpho, a 5-year-old German shepherd, can sniff out the difference between marijuana, heroin and cocaine. The dog came from Europe two years ago and is trained in drug detection and patrol.

But councilwoman Wanda Jones Dixon said Dolpho can also tell the difference between blacks and whites, and should be put to sleep.

On Friday, while K-9 officer Schawn Barger wrestled with a drug suspect, he said a quick-release button on his belt was activated, accidentally opening a door to the K-9 wagon.

The dog lunged from the vehicle and bit a 9-year-old boy on the leg instead of the suspect, dragging him for about 20 feet, family members said. The boy is black.

Councilwoman Dixon told the city council she has received six complaints about Dolpho in the past year. Three of the people who complained were involved with drugs. Three others were blacks who believe the dog jumped at or attacked them because of their race.

"I had received complaints from African-Americans saying they believe the dog only attacks African-Americans," councilwoman Dixon said Monday. "I think the dog makes the distinction."

Officer Barger, who has worked with Dolpho for more than two years and takes the dog home with him at night, said the dog has never gone after the wrong person before. He said Dolpho became confused during a tense situation.

"The dog saw movement. There was a lot of noise — a lot of screaming," Barger said. "It was basically just complete chaos and the dog, he just could not tell who the bad guy was and who the good people were."

The boy was treated for a dog bite and released Friday. He limped into the council meeting Monday with his mother, Lorraine Livingston.

"This is something that will take him a while to get over," Livingston said. "The officer had no control over that animal. That dog should be put to sleep."

Experts differ on whether dogs can discern race.

The owner of the Tom Brenneman School for Canines near Lawrence, Kan., has trained more than 600 dogs for police departments nationwide. He said dogs determine targets by scent alone and see only gray and white.

Tom Brenneman said the dogs can be trained to recognize the scent of drugs, explosives and also that dogs can smell fear.

"As far as it being black or white or Hispanic, that doesn't have anything to do with it," he said.

A national expert on animal behavior at Tuft's University School of Veterinary Medicine said dogs not only can determine race, but can develop prejudices similar to humans. Dr. Nick Dodman said that prejudice can be based on a lack of exposure to different people or because of a bad experience.

Dolpho has since been taken off active duty, but the department is standing behind him.

Chief Robert Martineau said the dog is good around children and even visits area schools and day care centers.

"To say the dog is racial ... that's ludicrous. That doesn't make sense," Martineau said.

No decision was made on Dolpho's future Monday.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2002 05:46 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

I dont know whether to laugh or cry or go to Pennsylvania and stick my thumb in this bitch's eye.

Old Post 06-12-2002 05:48 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenleakynipples
What a cock

I bet the Baton Rouge Police will by the dog for half a mill. It's already pre-trained for them.

Leakynips.

Old Post 06-12-2002 05:50 AM
greenleakynipples is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenleakynipples Click here to Send greenleakynipples a Private Message Visit greenleakynipples's homepage! Find more posts by greenleakynipples Add greenleakynipples to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bunkum
Sanditon

And we're to feel sorry for the 3 drug offenders who complain about the dog?

Also, what was a child doing in the vicinity of an arrest? If the parent is so concerned, why not keep the kid away from such a thing? The suspect could have easily have had a gun that misfired.

Oh wait, I'm sure that would be the policeman's fault as well...

--pervscan.com

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:02 AM
bunkum is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bunkum Click here to Send bunkum a Private Message Find more posts by bunkum Add bunkum to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

Angry

looks like common sense is losing to the victim mentality these days...makes me fucking wretch.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:06 AM
greenleakynipples
What a cock

Maybe the dog knows black people because they're always calling their women "bitches."

Leakynips.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:10 AM
greenleakynipples is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenleakynipples Click here to Send greenleakynipples a Private Message Visit greenleakynipples's homepage! Find more posts by greenleakynipples Add greenleakynipples to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trollstoy
Rack the Trolls™!

quote:
Originally posted by bunkum
Also, what was a child doing in the vicinity of an arrest?

Yes you stupid fuck, it was the kid's fault he got bit, no wait it was his parents fault.

'Cause lord knows the cops never do anything wrong.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:11 AM
Trollstoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trollstoy Click here to Send Trollstoy a Private Message Find more posts by Trollstoy Add Trollstoy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pogue Mahone
Angel down we go together

quote:
Originally posted by Trollstoy

Yes you stupid fuck, it was the kid's fault he got bit, no wait it was his parents fault.

Where was that thread again on what I should do when I come across an ignorant opinion?

Oh, there it is. ~begins reading~

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:13 AM
Pogue Mahone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pogue Mahone Click here to Send Pogue Mahone a Private Message Find more posts by Pogue Mahone Add Pogue Mahone to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Fred sez Lassie is a pussy and Rin Tin Tin is his hero:

*Rin Tin Tin*

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:16 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dog Breath
Cuddly Puppy

Maybe black people taste better?

Tigers eat them in much greater numbers than whites.

OK that was cold ..... Maybe they are less filling?

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:17 AM
Dog Breath is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dog Breath Click here to Send Dog Breath a Private Message Find more posts by Dog Breath Add Dog Breath to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trollstoy
Rack the Trolls™!

quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone
Where was that thread again on what I should do when I come across an ignorant opinion?

Bring it Chuckles.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:21 AM
Trollstoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trollstoy Click here to Send Trollstoy a Private Message Find more posts by Trollstoy Add Trollstoy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Princess_Heather
long gone

Poor dog. He's just using his instinct.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:23 AM
Princess_Heather is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Princess_Heather Click here to Send Princess_Heather a Private Message Find more posts by Princess_Heather Add Princess_Heather to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trollstoy
Rack the Trolls™!

Nice work ya racist cunt.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:25 AM
Dog Breath
Cuddly Puppy

quote:
Originally posted by Princess_Heather
Poor dog. He's just using his instinct.

I'm happy we see eye to eye. *Licks face*

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:25 AM
Dog Breath is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dog Breath Click here to Send Dog Breath a Private Message Find more posts by Dog Breath Add Dog Breath to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Astro74
Dodging the Issues

Damn that German bloodline!!!

Next she will say he can sniff out Jews!!

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:26 AM
Astro74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Astro74 Click here to Send Astro74 a Private Message Find more posts by Astro74 Add Astro74 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bunkum
Sanditon

quote:
Originally posted by Trollstoy

Sweetness, I'm merely astonished at the irony of "caring parents" who are chagrined when their children are bitten by confused police dogs, when hanging out while some doper is being arrested. Do you not find that a tad odd?

Dogs are not perfect; having trained dogs for search-and-rescue work, I know that a variety of factors can lead to losing the scent (following a deer instead, dampness or dryness, the general terrain). It is safe to assume that a k-9 cop would be no different. Dog leaps out to save his partner, and bites the wrong person.

Like I said, if the perp had had a gun instead, and it went off, the child could be mistakingly shot while the arrest is taking place. So again, why would a caring, concerned parent allow her child to stand by in the middle of an arrest? A 9-year old, especially.

I know that this trolling game of yours is amusing and such, but really, if you're going to take the time to reply, at least take the time to read first, and to think over the matter before hitting the send button.

And I don't see the point of your comment: "...the cops never do wrong." Where in the message did I state that? Precisely. My main problem with this is that this wonderful victim mentality, in its pursuit for unearned wealth (a.k.a. lawsuits), would seek a responsible party, and somehow blame the cop for not finding the weapon before the criminal was able to fire it. "he should have known better!" "he needs more training!" "Let's sue the department and the police academy as well."

If you can't see where this leads to, then I sincerely pity you.

--pervscan.com

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:27 AM
bunkum is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bunkum Click here to Send bunkum a Private Message Find more posts by bunkum Add bunkum to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pogue Mahone

I already did. Scroll up. Maybe it was just too subtle for you. Inst....

***resist... urge... to... flame***
***must.... adhere.... to.... Heatherian.... principles....***

Brother, I must respectfully disagree with your intimation that this was entirely the fault of the police. While Sister Bunkum, who oneday I shall mercilessly flame to drive up her post totals, should I forsake a Heatherian way of life, was quite right- if a cop is struggling with a suspect, that's the last place any child should be. One can hardly blame the kid for being a kid- but it certainly mitigates the burden of responsibility that you are trying to have shouldered in its entirely by the police. Propagation of "it's always the police's fault" sentiments strikes me as particularly loathesome.

So please note, I did not smite you with the Rod of Correction, Brother Trollstoy, but rather just a gentle rap of reproach upon the shoulder. I still respect your personhood and acknowledge that you deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Have a nice day.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:28 AM
Pogue Mahone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pogue Mahone Click here to Send Pogue Mahone a Private Message Find more posts by Pogue Mahone Add Pogue Mahone to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Astro74
Dodging the Issues

So then where does the fault of the parent belong?

Neglect for not properly watching over their child?

It is so easy to blame the police, they are easy targets no matter the issue!!!

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:32 AM
Astro74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Astro74 Click here to Send Astro74 a Private Message Find more posts by Astro74 Add Astro74 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

Well it's definately the cops fault I got a speeding ticket, if he hadn't been sitting on that side road with his radar gun pointed at me, I'd have been fine.

-m

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:35 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Astro74
Dodging the Issues

Them bastards...I bet he knew you were white and profiled you too

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:36 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
. . . While Sister Bunkum, who oneday I shall mercilessly flame . . . .

No shit? You gonna do that all by yerself?

Amen.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:43 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

quote:
Originally posted by Trollstoy 'Cause lord knows the cops never do anything wrong.

Ah, yes, Police fucked up here big time, Fuck the police (NWA).

How do you think the police are at wrong here? The cops take away your bong and give you a ticket once? Or are you one of the minority "forever a victim types"?

Just another example of morons using any excuse to scream racism. Ill bet both my nuts theres a million dollar lawsuit in the works here.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:47 AM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pogue Mahone

Unless my Heatherian learning can withstand the dark twisted temptation to do so...

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:48 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Unless my Heatherian learning can withstand the dark twisted temptation to do so...

Well, should you yield to yer temptation, I sincerely hope you like the business end o' her strap-on dildo.

Amen.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:56 AM
Trollstoy
Rack the Trolls™!

bunkum and PM,
You two braindead morons should learn to read. I said it was not the kids fault, it was probably not the Parent's fault and it was most likely the cops fault, but not once did either of you two legal dimwits show me how it was the kids fault. Noooooooooo. Ya'll just go straight to the, "Don't blame the cops card" Show me how I said it was ALL on the cops PM. Show me where I said "lawsiut" bunkum. Fact is the Kid did nothing wrong, the Parents were contributorily negligent and the cops were at least negligent. The comment that I was replying to (Why was the kid around?) was a stupid comment, but did that stop you two dolts from piling on when you have no idea as to what you are talking about?
^^Retorical Question.^^

If you want to show me how the kid was liable or the parent were not contributorily negligent or the cop was not negligent... Bring it...

...otherwise shut your spermholes.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:56 AM