The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Sensory Overload > Doves - The next british band to break the USA?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

Doves - The next british band to break the USA?

quote:

Doves, were quite literally formed out of the ashes of the Madchester dance act, Sub Sub, when a fire at their Ancoats studio, on the birthday of Andy and Jez Williams, destroyed the material for their next album as well as their equipment. The twins, with fellow bander member and Manchester CIty fan, Jimi Goodwin, were inspired to return as the highly acclaimed rock group they are today.

With help from Rob's Records, owned by Rob Gretton who died only months later, the band took up residence in New Order's old Cheetham Hill studio before resurfacing as Doves in 1998, playing a few gigs with Badly Drawn Boy. They released 'The Cedar Room EP' before playing at Glastonbury and alongside the likes of James at a specially arranged gig in Manchester's Heaton Park.

By late 1999 Doves had embarked on their first major UK tour, building a strong live following with stars like Paul Weller, Tom Rowlands (The Chemical Brothers), Colin Greenwood (Radiohead), Melanie Blatt (All Saints), and Paul Cook (Sex Pistols) attending their gigs. Their singles,'Rise', 'Sea Song', 'Here It Comes', and the brilliant 'The Cedar Room' (UK No. 33) created great anticipation for their award winning debut album; 'Lost Souls' was released in April, 2000, to widespread acclaim. The single 'Catch The Sun' (UK No.32) followed, confirming Doves' position as one of Britain's most promising bands earning them the label of 'Manchester's Next Big Thing' by many.

In October 2000, the brilliant 'Man Who Told Everything' single reached UK Top 40 status and received widespread radio airplay. New Year's Eve 2000 also witnessed them playing at Manchester's Castlefield Arena alongside Badly Drawn Boy. In April 2002, the band returned with the brilliant single, 'There Goes The Fear'. With a sound reminding many of The Stone Roses' 'Waterfall' it received massive UK airplay. Cleverly released and deleted on the same day, their fans rushed out to buy it sending it straight into the UK charts at Number 3.

A fortnight later, their superb second album, 'The Last Broadcast', went straight into the UK charts at Number 1 ensuring Manchester's next big thing had finally made it! The album also spawned the single 'Pounding' which captured Doves unique sound perfectly

This is the brilliant 'There Goes the Fear'

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-20-2002 09:41 AM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pj
Captain America

i hate them. they are english, and worst than that, they are mancs as well. ick!

Old Post 07-20-2002 10:32 AM
pj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pj Click here to Send pj a Private Message Visit pj's homepage! Find more posts by pj Add pj to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tack
jackaroo

if that's one of their good songs, they are absolutely horrid.
is a band called 'the used' famous there? i saw them on mtv2, and i think they are going to be extremely famous soon, even though they suck.

Old Post 07-20-2002 05:21 PM
tack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tack Click here to Send tack a Private Message Find more posts by tack Add tack to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

quote:
Originally posted by pj
i hate them. they are english, and worst than that, they are mancs as well. ick!

I think you are just being sarky now, I refuse to believe that you are so shallow that you would hate a band simply on the basis of where they are from and what nationality they are.

Wehther you like them or not is neither here nor there really pj, the question is 'will they break the US?' the answer I think is yes, in the same manner as Coldplay did. Idlewild may also manage it too, but I expect you hate them because they are Scottish.

Last edited by philjit on 07-20-2002 at 07:32 PM

Old Post 07-20-2002 06:37 PM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pj
Captain America

quote:
Originally posted by Phil

I think you are just being sarky now, I refuse to believe that you are so shallow that you would hate a band simply on the basis of where they are from and what nationality they are.

Wehther you like them or not is neither here nor there really pj, the question is 'will they break the US?' the answer I think is yes, in the same manner as Coldplay did. Idlewild may also manage it too, but I expect you hate them because they are Scottish.

Idlewild are ok cos they are actually a decent band who actually know how to rock out. The doves are just another in along line of bands who are wishy washy (like coldplay and travis).
And how do you define breaking America? what is the criteria for breaking America? Bush have actually broken America, and they sell ok over here. But Coldplay, did they really make it big in the US? Radiohead didand they are about the only uk band aside from Bush i can think of that have really broken the US in the last ten years. of course im sure i have forgotten a few.

Are the Prodigy big in the US?

and yes, i was being sarky, although it does seem to be that i dont like bands from manchester, musically speaking.

Old Post 07-21-2002 11:36 AM
pj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pj Click here to Send pj a Private Message Visit pj's homepage! Find more posts by pj Add pj to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsJustLogan
le pour soi

coldplay hit pretty hard, as did the prodigy. neither for very long, though.

it makes me sad. i can follow a band forever before they hit here and when they do and go i never get anything out of them again.

Old Post 07-21-2002 11:42 AM
ItsJustLogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsJustLogan Click here to Send ItsJustLogan a Private Message Find more posts by ItsJustLogan Add ItsJustLogan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I saw the Doves last year at First Ave in Minneapolis, and I thought they were great. I liked Mogwai much better, however.

Old Post 07-22-2002 01:17 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urbanjunkie

quote:
Originally posted by pj

Idlewild are ok cos they are actually a decent band who actually know how to rock out. The doves are just another in along line of bands who are wishy washy (like coldplay and travis).

'wishy washy' ?

i suppose what pj is saying is that coldplay would need to change their name to 'system of a play' and grow strange beards.

you know prozac, going by your logic i could call half the bands you listen to 'pretentious'. in fact i could call you pretentious but then what do i know? i'm from england and therefore i am crap (by your logic).

Last edited by urbanjunkie on 07-22-2002 at 02:20 AM

Old Post 07-22-2002 01:25 AM
urbanjunkie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for urbanjunkie Click here to Send urbanjunkie a Private Message Find more posts by urbanjunkie Add urbanjunkie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buddha's penis
has it all

from what i've heard, i'm going with "no". not poppy enough, and not impressive enough to overcome that. as far as i remember, anyway.

Old Post 07-22-2002 01:35 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

quote:
Originally posted by pj
Idlewild are ok cos they are actually a decent band who actually know how to rock out.

'rock out'??!?!? Do you realise how pretntious that sounds?

Old Post 07-22-2002 02:06 AM
buddha's penis
has it all

i think rocking out sounds quite the opposite of pretentious. reminiscent of ac/dc.
not that there's anything wrong with that. i like to rock too, man.
ROCK!
i think of fist-pumping quiet riot videos and camaros.

Old Post 07-22-2002 02:13 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

I think of pretentiousness to the extreme and cliche.

Old Post 07-22-2002 02:20 AM
buddha's penis
has it all

you crazy british.
but actually, that is a strange disparity. cultural, you think? what's the british perception of ROCK?

Old Post 07-22-2002 02:23 AM
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

quote:
Originally posted by Buddha's Penis!
you crazy british.
but actually, that is a strange disparity. cultural, you think? what's the british perception of ROCK?

I dunno. I am not talking about the music. I am talking about the phrase 'rock out' it smacks of pretentiousness and cliche to me. It just makes me think of really bad music journalism.

edit: it also sounds really stupid when it is said with an english accent. Yank accent saying 'rock out' works, englishman does it, he sounds like a twat.

Old Post 07-22-2002 02:26 AM
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

In answer to the question BP I think over here 'rock' is a very generic large term. Doves are an indy band though. pj does not like indy, the fact that most of the so called 'wishy washy' bands sell as many and sometimes more records than the so called 'good music' he likes is besides the point I guess.

edit: pj, mind defining 'wishy washy' for me please? Also I suggest you go and listen to 'American English' by Idlewild. It sounds ... just like Doves, and yet you think that Idlewild are ok.

Old Post 07-22-2002 02:31 AM
buddha's penis
has it all

the accent thing might be it.
rock here is a bit less broad, i think. relegated to such things as aerosmith and pearl jam other bands that are kind of...adult contemporary. unhip, even. things that don't warrant a genre. it's like a default group for music that has guitars in it.

but i am derailing.

i listen to a lot of indie bands, though that's not a very descriptive term, but i found doves to not be anything too interesting. i don't think they have anything to hook an american public that doesn't seem to care what it listens to (hence: linkin park).

Old Post 07-22-2002 02:53 AM
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

I should have mentioned the reason why I suggested they will break the US. Three of their tracks are being used in major TV advertising campaigns in the US i believe.

Old Post 07-22-2002 02:58 AM
buddha's penis
has it all

haha. that would do it.
worked for nick drake.

Old Post 07-22-2002 03:12 AM
Vegas
15 = micropenis

That one tune sounds like a U2 ripoff. Give me something original and interesting. Please.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Old Post 07-22-2002 03:53 AM
Vegas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas Click here to Send Vegas a Private Message Find more posts by Vegas Add Vegas to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

it seems like it goes on for a very long time.

Old Post 07-22-2002 04:08 AM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

Dmoon it was the album version that is why it was long, I don;t have the radio edit.

Vegas, I have every single one of U2's album either on tape, cd or vinyl. What was it of a rip off of exactly?

Old Post 07-22-2002 04:20 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I like britpop bands.

Suicide worked for nick drake.

Old Post 07-22-2002 05:46 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vegas
15 = micropenis

It sounds like a U2 ballad sped up. I can't name a specific song for this. The guitar and drumming sound very much like U2. The melody is somewhat similar as well to something U2 would do. Just my opinion. It's a decent song, but I'd rather just listen to U2.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Old Post 07-22-2002 11:44 AM
Vegas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas Click here to Send Vegas a Private Message Find more posts by Vegas Add Vegas to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pj
Captain America

quote:
In answer to the question BP I think over here 'rock' is a very generic large term. Doves are an indy band though. pj does not like indy, the fact that most of the so called 'wishy washy' bands sell as many and sometimes more records than the so called 'good music' he likes is besides the point I guess.

edit: pj, mind defining 'wishy washy' for me please? Also I suggest you go and listen to 'American English' by Idlewild. It sounds ... just like Doves, and yet you think that Idlewild are ok.

you havent got the foggiest fucking idea what i like so shut up telling other people what i listen too, thank you. as far as you know i only listen to american bands and im limited to TOOL and seattle bands and not much more. you have no idea, next time you come around actually take a look at my CD collection please, it may educate you to my music taste.

quote:
Originally posted by urbanjunkie

'wishy washy' ?

i suppose what pj is saying is that coldplay would need to change their name to 'system of a play' and grow strange beards.

you know prozac, going by your logic i could call half the bands you listen to 'pretentious'. in fact i could call you pretentious but then what do i know? i'm from england and therefore i am crap (by your logic).

is system of a play supposed to be a funny take on system of a down? it wasnt funny.
you dont know half the bands i listen to, so you couldnt call them pretentious, all you know is that i listen to TOOL and even i would call them pretentious, but i like them, and i dont give two shits if they are pretentious, i like the drumming so thats all that matters.

quote:

'rock out'??!?!? Do you realise how pretntious that sounds?

do i care how pretentious that sounds? NO!
they have some balls in there music. they can create some decent rhythm, a good beat, a driving powerful vibe=rocking out.

sheesh. anyone would think that my music taste is a matter for debate, it isnt. it doesnt matter what i think. but i dont like the aformentioned Travis (in fact i despise them) Coldplay, and i loathe the Stereophonics, i dont have to like them, its not a law.

and just to shut up Phil and uj some more, adn to hopefully slay this image of my music taste i will list some bands in my alledged rock only cd collection. i have a copy of the Charlatans Some friendly, their first album (which was good, i dont like the rest). I like the early Carter USM (from 101 damnations to 1992:The Love Album, i have lots of James cds, a Blur cd, (i would but two ther Vlur cds if i had money to spend), two Cranberries cds, Morcheeba, massive attack, I have a copy of DMX in my minidisc collection, i have dj shadow in my minidisc collection along with the prodigy and chemical brothers. i have a mix disc which contains tupac, daft punk, apollo four forty, and others. then i have my old folks rock collection consisting of Led Zeppelin, U2, simple minds, phil collins, del amitri and elton bloody john!!

and that just some of it. so get this fucking numbskull idea that i listen to rock alone out of your bloody head please.

Last edited by pj on 07-22-2002 at 12:16 PM

Old Post 07-22-2002 12:08 PM
pj
Captain America

oh yeah just so you know i did actually dl and listen to your so-called 'brilliant' there goes the fear, and it was exactly as i thought it would be. 'wishy washy'.

wishy washy means it has no guts to it. theres very little happening in the bass end of the song, and therefore it lacks power. the drums are all hi-hat and snare, cant hear much going on with the bass drum at all. and its too repetitive. it feels like they have the one guitar hook and that is the basis for the entire song. the guitar hook is the best thing about the song, but because it is the sole premise it is overused and hence becomes boring.

ok now if you compare that to an american band say like Linkin Park who im not fond of either, they at least have a punchiness to there songs, there is a definite bass end in their music. This is necessary to break america think, to have a little guts in your music. the music has to be powerful. Raddiohead had creep which has a bass end in the chorus and was their big hit that got them recognition. Bush have a bass end in their music, Prodigy has a bass end because it the nature of that style of music. Even coldplay with yellow have a bass end. by bass end i mean prominent thick bass guitar and guitar sound. the Doves and travis do not have a thick guitar sound at all. its all rather floaty and wishy washy.

i think Muse will break america before the Doves will, simply because Muse can do the rock thing with conviction. and Mogwai are like Mugtoe said much more interesting than the Doves.

Last edited by pj on 07-22-2002 at 12:51 PM

Old Post 07-22-2002 12:47 PM