The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > MS Word 2000 offensive to lesbians
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

MS Word 2000 offensive to lesbians

Disgruntled geologist Alan Vaughan writes complaining about the grammar checker in Microsoft Word 2000, which he says denigrates lesbians. Dykes, as all good geologists know, "are thin sheets of magma that has frozen in cracks on its way up from the hot interior of the Earth."

And other things as well, of course. In Word 2000, if you type "the dykes which cut the granite are 2m wide," the grammar checker will change it to "the dykes who cut the granite are 2m wide." Since Alan told us this we at The Register have been striving to drive politically incorrect visions of burly granite-cutting Heroines of Soviet Labour from our minds, and we suggest you good people do likewise.

We do not, thank goodness, have a copy of Word 2000 to hand, so are unable to check on other permutations of dyke. Or indeed dike. The American Heritage Dictionary, which we consulted because it's free, and the OED isn't, tells us that a dike/dyke is "1a. An embankment of earth and rock built to prevent floods. b. Chiefly British A low wall, often of sod, dividing or enclosing lands. 2. A barrier blocking a passage, especially for protection. 3. A raised causeway. 4. A ditch; a channel. 5. Geology A long mass of igneous rock that cuts across the structure of adjacent rock."

Or indeed "Offensive Slang - Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian." Presumably Microsoft's grammar checker designers haven't heard of any of the other meanings. Which is odd, considering what they do for a living.

The Register

From Good Morning Vietnam: 'I know we can;t use the word dyke, we can't even say lesbian, it's 'women in comfortable shoes''

I don't know why I thought of that. Funny story all the same though

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-24-2002 12:59 AM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nymbus
incognito

At least they use Ms instead of the more offensive Mrs.

Old Post 07-24-2002 01:54 AM
nymbus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nymbus Click here to Send nymbus a Private Message Find more posts by nymbus Add nymbus to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shyloh
ghost of internetz past

That IS sort of odd, though. And i hate that auto-correction thing in Word.

Old Post 07-24-2002 03:51 PM
shyloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shyloh Click here to Send shyloh a Private Message Find more posts by shyloh Add shyloh to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iglo

how do you disable the auto capital spelling at every line break ?
every time i try to write a poem i ..
no , i dont write poems !
nevermind

Old Post 07-24-2002 04:07 PM
iglo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for iglo Click here to Send iglo a Private Message Find more posts by iglo Add iglo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FuhQall
High Flyer

Imagine the poo-ha it would cause "lesbian community disgusted by being auto-corrected, most bull-dykes have rebooted their machines and found they have developed pricks...Microsoft again has to answer some probing questions"

Old Post 07-24-2002 05:19 PM
FuhQall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FuhQall Click here to Send FuhQall a Private Message Find more posts by FuhQall Add FuhQall to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Erinity
Fluffy Bunny

I have Word 2000, tried it. It does make that grammar suggestion.

quote:
Originally posted by iglo
how do you disable the auto capital spelling at every line break ?
every time i try to write a poem i ..
no , i dont write poems !
nevermind

Tools, Autocorrect, there is a checkbox for Capitalize first letter of sentences. This is in 2000, I don't have 97 to look at.

Old Post 07-24-2002 05:35 PM
Erinity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Erinity Click here to Send Erinity a Private Message Find more posts by Erinity Add Erinity to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bondo
Vagrant Benthos

Our study was able to determine the anomolously low occurance of hot intrusive bodies in the dike's magama chamber. Also critacal was the dike's lack of cleavage, which did not affect hardness. The dike's cummingtonite, though homogeneous, is the result of internal fractionalization.

Old Post 07-24-2002 07:33 PM
Bondo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bondo Click here to Send Bondo a Private Message Find more posts by Bondo Add Bondo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by Bondo
Our study was able to determine the anomolously low occurance of hot intrusive bodies in the dike's magama chamber. Also critacal was the dike's lack of cleavage, which did not affect hardness. The dike's cummingtonite, though homogeneous, is the result of internal fractionalization.

Well worth a point.

Old Post 07-24-2002 07:50 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

like a bull-dyke in a china shop

Old Post 07-24-2002 08:37 PM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

Shouldn't that be 'Chyna'?

-m

Old Post 07-25-2002 07:46 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote