The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > I finally did it
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Trina
Chronic papercut

I finally did it

I got my first tattoo today. I have been considering it for a year and was searching for just the right one. I found it.

It is the Chinese symbol for family. It is a dedication to my father who I lost in 1996, my courageous mother who battled cancer and won, and it is for my children who mean everything in this world to me._

Never listen to other peoples experiences when preparing to do something as big as this. The horror stories were unbelievable. The pain was no where near what I was prepared for. It wasn't that bad at all and it only took about 30 minutes.

Dave took pics from beginning to end. I must say, it was worth it. I love it.

http://www.user.dccnet.com/tantricam/tattoo.htm

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-01-2002 04:52 AM
Trina is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trina Click here to Send Trina a Private Message Find more posts by Trina Add Trina to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inky
-------------------------

looks great Trina!

Old Post 09-01-2002 05:43 AM
Inky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inky Click here to Send Inky a Private Message Find more posts by Inky Add Inky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

Thumbs up

yeah looks cool trina and I agree about the pain factor, it wasnt bad at all.

Old Post 09-01-2002 06:10 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A.D.H.D
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Why Chinese?

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:18 AM
A.D.H.D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A.D.H.D Click here to Send A.D.H.D a Private Message Find more posts by A.D.H.D Add A.D.H.D to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

It's trendy.

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:19 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A.D.H.D
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

It looks better than FAMILY scrawled across her neck I suppose, although I don't know why it needs to be something of significance if no one can read it.

If I was getting a chinese symbol tatooed on me, I'd right Penis or Cuntlips, or something witty like that.

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:22 AM
A.D.H.D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A.D.H.D Click here to Send A.D.H.D a Private Message Find more posts by A.D.H.D Add A.D.H.D to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urbanjunkie

the symbol on her neck doesnt exactly mean 'family' (according to the 2 chinese people sitting with me in the office)

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:32 AM
urbanjunkie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for urbanjunkie Click here to Send urbanjunkie a Private Message Find more posts by urbanjunkie Add urbanjunkie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urbanjunkie

but i suppose its the thought that counts

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:33 AM
urbanjunkie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for urbanjunkie Click here to Send urbanjunkie a Private Message Find more posts by urbanjunkie Add urbanjunkie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

I think Chinese Calligraphy is beautiful. Its an art unto itsself.
Id say it has more to do with spirituality than trend...if she wanted trendy she could have died her hair green or purple and bought a rubber shirt.

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:40 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by urbanjunkie
the symbol on her neck doesnt exactly mean 'family' (according to the 2 chinese people sitting with me in the office)

what does it mean then? I know translation between the two languages isnt exact a lot of the times.

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:43 AM
urbanjunkie

the symbol on its own means 'clan' or at least thats a rough translation.

another symbol is needed in front of it to be readable in chinese and to make proper sense.

--

i suppose translation cant be 100%. he was telling me how the tattoo that spice girl has of 'Girl Power' in chinese doesnt actually work. if she walked down a street in china people would laugh at her for having gibberish on her arm. but i suppose thats because the words 'girl' and 'power' dont go together in chinese.

still, i agree that chinese calligraphy is very nice on the eye.

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:49 AM
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by urbanjunkie
but i suppose thats because the words 'girl' and 'power' dont go together in chinese.

THEY HAVE OFFENDED MY UTERUS! :cuss:

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:54 AM
urbanjunkie

Old Post 09-01-2002 07:55 AM
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

quote:
Originally posted by euphorbia
I think Chinese Calligraphy is beautiful. Its an art unto itsself.
Id say it has more to do with spirituality than trend...if she wanted trendy she could have died her hair green or purple and bought a rubber shirt.

I agree on the first part, not sure why it being in Chinese makes it more spiritual though.

The trendy thing I only mention as one of my last vestiges of "it's not cool if everybody is doing it" mentality. Every other person I know has a tattoo of either a Japanese or Chinese symbol for some vague phrase, with the person having absolutly no connection to Chinese or Japanese....anything, save that it looks cool and seems "exotic". I am also the sort of guy that thinks that people shouldn't pick out tattoos from the wall of a parlor, though.

Whenever a friend of mine wants a tattoo and asks what they should get (never if they should get a tattoo and what they would get), I always tell them to not get a Japanese or Chinese symbol. It's just way too overdone, which isn't to say that that in itself is a reason to avoid it, just that perhaps they aren't getting it for personal reasons, but because they just think it looks chic. Chic doesn't last.

Obviously though, if it connects with you, Trina, and you like it, more fucking power to you. In my own way of thinking, if I wanted to represent my family, I would find some symbol that has some personal resonance that speaks to me of my family, rather than just getting the Chinese equivalant of the word "FAMILY" tattooed on my neck. This is, however, my own personal take on what tattoos should and should not be, which, being personal, has no real value when applied to other people.

This is also the reason why I still haven't gotten a tattoo.

Also, euphorbia, I think you have a good tat, the love and hate one, but if I were you I would have tattood the English words on my knuckles, and then whenever somebody asked you about it going into the Radio Raheem spiel from Do the Right Thing.

Anyway, Trina, the real point here is that you should have gotten a tattoo of a mullet.

Where's that fucking midi?

(congrats on your tat, btw, don't mind me)

Old Post 09-01-2002 08:38 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trina
Chronic papercut

Well, I love it, and thanks for the input everyone.

http://www.crystalclearcharacters.com/id51.htm

Old Post 09-01-2002 09:46 AM
Trina is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trina Click here to Send Trina a Private Message Find more posts by Trina Add Trina to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inky
-------------------------

most of y'all are nitpickers.

i hear that's kinda trendy too.

Old Post 09-01-2002 10:21 AM
Inky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inky Click here to Send Inky a Private Message Find more posts by Inky Add Inky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
horizon
I Win!

Looks good trina, congrats.

Old Post 09-01-2002 12:26 PM
horizon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for horizon Click here to Send horizon a Private Message Find more posts by horizon Add horizon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeyCat
Felis Dominatus

quote:
Originally posted by euphorbia
yeah looks cool trina and I agree about the pain factor, it wasnt bad at all.
ditto

Old Post 09-01-2002 03:07 PM
JoeyCat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoeyCat Click here to Send JoeyCat a Private Message Find more posts by JoeyCat Add JoeyCat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

i agree with paint

Old Post 09-01-2002 03:28 PM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

Paintchips - "Also, euphorbia, I think you have a good tat, the love and hate one, but if I were you I would have tattood the English words on my knuckles, and then whenever somebody asked you about it going into the Radio Raheem spiel from Do the Right Thing. "

Actually its a line from a writing and not meant to be a yen and yang, or light and dark thing. It has to do with how much I love some things in this world and hate others at the same time, or my love and hate for the same thing...much like Catullus who wrote the poem I ref felt about the woman he was writing about.
I like it, I identify with it...there is nothing quite like loving and hating something at the same time and I tend to do it often and passionately, you feel every part of your being in unconventional ways when you do. I’m not sure why you put so much effort in to sweating symbols other people choose to put on their bodies…is school going poorly?

Old Post 09-01-2002 03:57 PM
Aydin
El Fugaz

Her name was Lesbia.

Old Post 09-01-2002 03:58 PM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shyloh
ghost of internetz past

It's not just chinese/japanese though, i see some tats with arabic symbols and the like on some folks now. It just makes people feel all cultured and non redneckish to pretend they love some foreign shit. Remember when everyone was into the Indian style of dress and they all got Henna on their hands? Then it was the Japanese geisha thing...and then Fubu came out with clothes that had chinese and japanese symbols. It just wouldn't be as annoying if people would just come out and admit that they have no idea what those symbols mean in those languages instead of pretending they're all about it.

/early morning bitchiness

PS: trina, it's looks very nice regardless. I mean people can do what they want, tattoos are eyecandy so that's one thing. My rant only had to do with people who might as damned well surgically make their eyes slant and wear kimonos for the rest of their lives to un-whitey themselves.

Old Post 09-01-2002 04:10 PM
shyloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shyloh Click here to Send shyloh a Private Message Find more posts by shyloh Add shyloh to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

Calligraphy is an art to be appreciated for its beauty as well as its meaning, especially in other alphabets.

Old Post 09-01-2002 04:28 PM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paint CHiPs

I agree on the first part, not sure why it being in Chinese makes it more spiritual though.

sorry I missed this part.

No - the subject is what is spiritual, why she chose it and what it means to her, the fact she wants it to be a permanent part of her shell. Chinese is ideal for a tat because it has fewer strokes in it than the word in english would, compacted and it is also pleasing to look at. Among the things I have hanging on my wall are Chinese symbols or words and also astrological symbols for Saturn and Uranus, because of what they mean and their artistic form, and also thier mystery. Not everyone is going to know what they mean but I am reminded of them everytime I look at them. Having the words "self control" hanging on the wall might seem a bit odd to some, having a symbol representative of it seems more practical.

Old Post 09-01-2002 04:50 PM
slight
long pig

what does Uranus mean phorbie?

Old Post 09-01-2002 06:13 PM
slight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slight Click here to Send slight a Private Message Visit slight's homepage! Find more posts by slight Add slight to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote