The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > WIT - Whore Institute of Technology > imma build me this thinger
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
SatansLeftHand
buttercup

imma build me this thinger

Case: Antec Performance Plus 1080B w/430W power supply $150
Motherboard: ABIT AT7 $150
CPU: AMD XP2200+ 1.8Ghz 266Mhz FSB $320
Memory: DDR-1GB-266 $300 4 of these
HDD: Western Digital 120GB ATA 100-7200RPM $220 possibly more than one of these
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum $190
Video Card: nVidia geForce4 Ti $240
DVD-RW: Cyclone Internal DVD RAM/R $230
DVD-ROM: TEAC 40x Reader EIDE Internal $80
Monitor: NEC/Mitsubishi AccuSync 21/20v 2.5mm 1600x1200 76hz AS120-BK CRT $210
Keyboard: Memorex Spill-Proof $10
Mouse: Microsoft Trackball Optical $25
Speakers: Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 Surround $125

unfortunately, this adds up to $3150, at the best prices i've found so far on these things. $2250 if i only get one stick of RAM.

anyone have any changes to suggest?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-03-2002 11:37 PM
SatansLeftHand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SatansLeftHand Click here to Send SatansLeftHand a Private Message Find more posts by SatansLeftHand Add SatansLeftHand to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsJustLogan
le pour soi

looks like what i bought not long ago. i got the turtle beach santa cruz card because i like it better than the audigy. i also got the klipsch 5.1 system because... well, if you like listening to things, it's worth it.

is that actually 4gb of ram i'm seeing. jebus, i thought i was hardcore with my 1gb.

Old Post 10-04-2002 07:35 PM
ItsJustLogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsJustLogan Click here to Send ItsJustLogan a Private Message Find more posts by ItsJustLogan Add ItsJustLogan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

One change:

Don't use a single massive hard drive, you'd be far better off with a 40 gig system/program drive and then a second massive drive for general storage.

-m

Old Post 10-05-2002 02:14 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SatansLeftHand
buttercup

yup, that's 4 gigs of ram. it's also 1200 bucks for that 4 gigs. i think i'll get 512mb to s5tart and get the more hardcore bits later, as i have need/money.

Old Post 10-05-2002 02:34 AM
SatansLeftHand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SatansLeftHand Click here to Send SatansLeftHand a Private Message Find more posts by SatansLeftHand Add SatansLeftHand to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

Not sure if the 4 gigs would have worked. Most motherboards require you to switch to Registered/ECC memory once you go over 2 gigs.

And it may be worth getting the ATI Radeo 9700 over the GeForce. It's on average 25% than the Ti4600 and doesn't cost much more.

Old Post 10-05-2002 11:06 AM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SatansLeftHand
buttercup

quote:
Originally posted by macker
Not sure if the 4 gigs would have worked. Most motherboards require you to switch to Registered/ECC memory once you go over 2 gigs.

And it may be worth getting the ATI Radeo 9700 over the GeForce. It's on average 25% than the Ti4600 and doesn't cost much more.

well, the motherboard i have listed there is claimed to be capable of taking 4 sticks of normal DDR DIMM memory, each up to one gig. no mention is made of Registered/ECC. i dunno, you could be right on that one.
as for the radeon, i'll give you the same answer i gave someone else who raised the same issue. i've never used any ATI products, and i know nVidia has a consistently good product.

Old Post 10-05-2002 12:20 PM
SatansLeftHand
buttercup

Re: imma build me this thinger

revised listing (after some thought and suggestions)

Case: Antec Performance Plus 1080B w/430W power supply $150
Motherboard: ABIT AT7 $150
CPU: AMD XP2200+ 1.8Ghz 266Mhz FSB $320
Memory: DDR-512MB-266 $160
HDD: Maxtor 10 gig, and a Maxtor 100 gig. i dunno the prices, but i've been hearing bad shit about western digital.
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum (black bezel, if i can get it) $190
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9700 $190
DVD-RW: definitely want one of these things, but don't know which one, and it doesn't have to be right away. <$250
DVD-ROM: TEAC 40x Reader EIDE Internal $80
Monitor: NEC/Mitsubishi AccuSync 21/20v 2.5mm 1600x1200 76hz AS120-BK CRT $210
Keyboard: Memorex Spill-Proof $10
Mouse: Logitech Optical $15
Speakers: Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 Surround $125

Old Post 10-06-2002 06:42 PM
Tefl
Reality Theorist

Re: Re: imma build me this thinger

quote:
Originally posted by SatansLeftHand
i've been hearing bad shit about western digital.

I've got two western digital drives in 2 computers, (one 60gig, the older one, 15gig) and I've never had any trouble out of either. I will say though that my 15gig model is LOUD. The damn thing rattles around like skeletons fucking on a tin roof. Works though so I'm happy with it ATM.

Old Post 10-06-2002 08:21 PM
Tefl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tefl Click here to Send Tefl a Private Message Find more posts by Tefl Add Tefl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsJustLogan
le pour soi

i'm going to suggest going with the new ati card as well. even if you don't like the company you can't pass up that much of a performance increase.

Old Post 10-07-2002 08:03 AM
ItsJustLogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsJustLogan Click here to Send ItsJustLogan a Private Message Find more posts by ItsJustLogan Add ItsJustLogan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

Re: Re: imma build me this thinger

quote:
Originally posted by SatansLeftHand
DVD-RW: definitely want one of these things, but don't know which one, and it doesn't have to be right away. <$250

Maybe a bit more than you want to pay, but for maximum compatibility:

http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item....null&type=s

Old Post 10-07-2002 09:09 AM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SatansLeftHand
buttercup

Re: Re: Re: imma build me this thinger

quote:
Originally posted by macker

Maybe a bit more than you want to pay, but for maximum compatibility:

http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item....null&type=s

oooooohh........i like it.
but, like i said, the dvd-r doesn't have to be right away. i bet the price on that one 'll go down if i wait 6 or 8 months.

Old Post 10-07-2002 02:07 PM