The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Mr (or Ms)__________ Builds A Dream House
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Mr (or Ms)__________ Builds A Dream House

I am thinking of building a dream house with the following sort of amenities:

About 14,000 square feet ( I chose that number because a girl once told me to get lost because she was marrying a man with "nearly a 14000 square foot house" and he incidentally had a 30,000 acre ranch and an $8 million dollar bank account)

A swimming pool (olympic) and spa and hot tub with a sauna and ice pool in the cabana

A reception hall big enough to hold a band and throw a dance.

A billiard room with both pool and snooker tables.

A library which would easily shelve 10,000 books.

A kitchen with fire place (with spit and pothooks), island stove, convection oven and all the standard amenities.

A wine cellar to shelve several hunjdred bottles of vintage wine and port.

A master bedroom with dressing room and a step down into bath
as well as shower.

At least ten bedrooms plus servants quarters so I could occasionally throw a party.

A dining table that would seat forty.

Servant quarters for a staff of ten.

Complete climate control.

An attached workshop.

An orchard and garden (with gardner).

Masonry construction stout enough to stop a cannon ball.

The question of siting is sgnificant. I would hate to leave El Rio de los Brazos de Dios but I could be tempted by the arc of shore lying between Valencia Spain and Genoa Italy. I would like to be able to grow limes, lemons, and oranges---and maybe dates.

Do you have any ideas about what I may have missed in my specifications above?

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:36 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Home cinema? Bowling alley?

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:38 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

Balconies and verandas with beautiful views.

At least one secret passageway &/or room.

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:41 PM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
geaeslore
fallen mathlete

stone archways

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:44 PM
geaeslore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for geaeslore Click here to Send geaeslore a Private Message Find more posts by geaeslore Add geaeslore to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inky
-------------------------

oxsan is really JLo and Ben.

and you need more bathrooms.

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:45 PM
Inky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inky Click here to Send Inky a Private Message Find more posts by Inky Add Inky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

A ballroom? I have a friend whose parent's house has a ballroom. Which makes me think that I should get one.

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:52 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

Custom mosaic on the bottom of the pool or bathtub.

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:55 PM
Talarohk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Talarohk Click here to Send Talarohk a Private Message Visit Talarohk's homepage! Find more posts by Talarohk Add Talarohk to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I just don't associate smug with ballrooms, nor my father for that matter. I can see the fireplace in teh kitchen, but only if you have some irritable peasant woman to work it and run you off when you meddle. You don't deserve the illiterate redhead with the bodacious tatas.

What about my monastery? I would let you work the olive orchard.

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:58 PM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Wonderful ideas--all of them. The secret passages are a must as are both clockwise and counterclockwise spiral staircases (to the benefit therefore of both right handed and lefthanded swordsmen) and I am ashamed to have not thought of ther bowling alleys (note plural) and cinema. Lots more bathrooms. Good stuff---I'm writing.

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:58 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Talking

Save yerself a heap o' money, old friend. If you'll jus' build yerself a shack with Dickel on tap, the rest o' that hi-falootin' stuff won't matter a bit to ya.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 07-25-2003 09:00 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Olive trees are all right but they grow very slowly. It was your monastery which gave me this idea.

Old Post 07-25-2003 09:00 PM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

The side entrance should look somethin like this:

Old Post 07-25-2003 09:03 PM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
I just don't associate smug with ballrooms, nor my father for that matter. I can see the fireplace in teh kitchen, but only if you have some irritable peasant woman to work it and run you off when you meddle. You don't deserve the illiterate redhead with the bodacious tatas.

What about my monastery? I would let you work the olive orchard.

The deal where I provide redheads and inherit the property transfers from the farm to the new palatial complex. Mugtoe can build himself a shack on the grounds as long as it can't be seen from the main property.

Old Post 07-25-2003 09:13 PM
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Mug you say that you do not associate Smug or myself with the concept of ballrooms. You just don't understand the kind of balls Smug and I plan.

Old Post 07-25-2003 09:29 PM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Why do my friends always turn on me when I introduce them to my family?

Old Post 07-25-2003 09:55 PM
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

I like the custom mosaic on the pool bottom also---sort of a logo. Have to work on that.

Old Post 07-26-2003 02:04 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

The family coat of arms would look nice on the bottom of the pool.

And on the bottom of the 50,000 gallon saltwater aquarium. And a herd of serfs out working the vineyards and threshing the wheat and whatnot. Buxom Romany women treading the crop in wooden vats alongside whitewashed garden walls. We could import meskins in a pinch, and keep a rotating stock besides. But this would be no Potemkin's village. These would be happy, song-filled peasants who cared for every hair on our heads as if they were their own. HOw could they feel otherwise? Any of them with attitude problems would be relegated to helping with the wild boar hunts back in the hills at the southern end of our property (down around Chihuahua). The ones who made it back would likely be rendered sweetly reasonable and song-filled like their compatriots.

I'm likin the fireside cookin more and more. And ruddy-faced peasant women in the backyard around beehive ovens making bread and butchering game hen and pheasant and hare.

This sounds better and better.

Old Post 07-26-2003 02:15 AM
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Somehow I am not sure that you are serious about this project.

Old Post 07-26-2003 02:51 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

This IS a dream house.

Old Post 07-26-2003 03:09 AM
Peter_Torque
Grill Instructor

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
...butchering game hen and pheasant and hare.

Splitting hares?

Hey, Mug. Send me your family coat-of-arms and I'll do up some layouts from Oxsan's ideas. (I want to try to overlay that on the bottom of Wm. "Randy" Hearst's pool at San Simeon.)

PS; I made the pic of Oxsan's bachelor pad before I ever saw this thread. Weird, huh?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Old Post 07-26-2003 03:17 AM
Peter_Torque is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peter_Torque Click here to Send Peter_Torque a Private Message Find more posts by Peter_Torque Add Peter_Torque to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I don't have it digital. It's on a piece of wood.

Old Post 07-26-2003 04:23 AM
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

That's a nice start and all, but I feel you are missing some fundamental standards of comfortable living:

gym/dojo

a bar (if you want the 18-25 year old girls to hang out at the oxsan crib, you need to make it stocked and free of charge)

while you're probably going for the more dignified approach with your parlor/billiards room, i'd suggest dumbing it down a little by adding some dart boards, a foosball table, and maybe a few choice arcade games (pinball, pacman, campcom vs. snk 2, i dunno, whatever your prefer)

an elevator... even if your house is only two floors, you need an elevator (or an escalator, i suppose)

an outdoor basketball/tennis court

someone already suggested a home cinema, but i feel you need two, one for feature films and to screen movies with ebert and whatnot, and...

the Pr0n Room, to be accessed by the also aforementioned secret passageway. Have a built in stripping pole for when you throw "those kinds" of parties, as well as one of the worlds largest collections of lesbian DVDs, viewable, of course, from multiple angles. While your bar might have ale on tap, I'd suggest the having the one in the XXX room connected to an economy sized vat of hand lotion.

a shooting/archery range

one of the bedrooms should be furnished entirely through legos

an observatory/poop deck complete with hubble-esque telescope

refridgerators in all the bathrooms

your servants shoudl be comprised of a sensible mix of robots and playboy bunnies.

not sure what kind of workshop you were refering to, id assume the standard "tool kit" kind, but maybe a lab of some sorts? where you can do your genetic engineering and chemical expirementation.

a picture of dorian gray

a cloister

a revolving garage that, from above, sort of resembles a pizza. each one of the "slices" would be a section of the garage with a really fucking cool car in it. you'd only have one garage door/outside entrance, but the garage would rotate to position the entrance for whatever car you wish to be driving.

on top of the garage, have your dining room for when guests come. it'll revolve like that the top of the space nedle or whatever.

hmm, that should cover it, for now.

edit: upon further reflection, the arcade should be separate from the billiards room. you could have dozens of console and stand-up arcade games there. it could be a "hang-out" spot for all the troubled boys in the area, to prevent them from joining gangs.

of course... one of the walls would have a huge half-silvered mirror on it, so when Mug comes to visit, he can sit in the adjacent room and touch himself while watching the young men frollick.

Last edited by mmmtravis on 07-26-2003 at 05:10 AM

Old Post 07-26-2003 05:04 AM
mmmtravis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mmmtravis Click here to Send mmmtravis a Private Message Visit mmmtravis's homepage! Find more posts by mmmtravis Add mmmtravis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

Sounds good, Oxsan. Lots of good ideas there.

My personal tastes are less grandiose. I want an african kraal-type complex of various sized circular buildings, interconnected by covered lanaia's, done in austin stone with standing seam copper roofs.

Central one would be 42 feet diameter, and would be the main public space of the complex, with kitchen/dining/living areas opening into one another.

Opening off that would be a 26 foot diameter master bedroom with a seperate 16 foot diameter master bath and closet adjacent.

A seperate complex about 60 degrees around the central circle would be 3 separate guest suites with ensuite bath for each. Between the two bedroom complexes would be an oval pool, with separate hot tub and cold tubs beside it.

I really like the rotating slab garage floor idea, parking for 6 would be sufficient. Adjoining that I would want a wood shop and studio - I'd really like to do some more carving. That I'd do as a 150 degree arc off the garage circle.

All of this on about 1,200 acres in Happy Valley area of southern Oregon. On the property would be a couple of smaller, tucked out of sight, more conventional residences for the farm manager and the staff.

Old Post 07-26-2003 06:05 AM
SimpleSimon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SimpleSimon Click here to Send SimpleSimon a Private Message Find more posts by SimpleSimon Add SimpleSimon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tefl
Reality Theorist

Don't forget the bomb shelter with two foot thick steel doors, 5 years of food water, & guns out the yinyang. Oh, and the shelter should sit deep underground on giant springs like NORAD. Preferabbly under a mountain.

Now that I think of it, my dream house would be totally underground. I'd live in my bomb shelter.

Old Post 07-26-2003 07:03 AM
Tefl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tefl Click here to Send Tefl a Private Message Find more posts by Tefl Add Tefl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SatansLeftHand
buttercup

since it's a dream home, i'll take claestum or chateau retour, thanks.

Old Post 07-26-2003 07:18 AM
SatansLeftHand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SatansLeftHand Click here to Send SatansLeftHand a Private Message Find more posts by SatansLeftHand Add SatansLeftHand to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote