The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Fox News to be banned in the UK?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

Fox News to be banned in the UK?

link

Apparently it does not mean the strict 'duely iimpartial' requirements of the Independent Television Commission over here and might be pulled from satellite and cable.

edit:fixed link

Last edited by Dingle on 07-31-2003 at 04:33 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-31-2003 12:31 AM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nutrimentia
plata o plomo

I think censorship is bad, but if it was based on the fact that Fox News isn't really a news program, at elast not the way they protray themselves to be, I can understand that. Change their name to Fox Opinions and there is no reason to censor.

Old Post 07-31-2003 01:01 AM
Nutrimentia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nutrimentia Click here to Send Nutrimentia a Private Message Visit Nutrimentia's homepage! Find more posts by Nutrimentia Add Nutrimentia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

I agree Nute, censorship is bad. This isn't censorship though, the threat, and it just a threat atm, but the threat is because Fox fails to meet the stadards required of it to be allowed airtime as a news channel, and so it's license to broadcast could be removed.

Last edited by philjit on 07-31-2003 at 01:11 AM

Old Post 07-31-2003 01:03 AM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

That site you linked from is funny.

Id like to see these "standards" though and see how the BBC by its own admissions has lived up to them. By the way, Bill Oriely who you guys hate so much has dogged Bush everytime I have seen his show in the past few weeks (which admittedly hasnt been that much) AND Mancow who comes on Fox and friends in the morning hates him and is always dogging ascroft and the administration in general...I listen to his show on the radio almost every morning but he makes and appearance from his radio studio to the fox and friends show every morning...he is certainly no fan of the current situation in the white house to say the least. So this laughable site saying "enthusiastic support for the Bush administration and its policies" is either a willful lie or gross ignorance if they mean the other side isnt being represented. And if it just bothers them that there is any support for bush at all...then Id say its you guys who has the problem cause even new outlets like the BBC arent shining examples of total impartial-ness...which they have admitted to.

oopsies!

Old Post 07-31-2003 01:17 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

it does not ask for 'total impartiality' phorbie. The ITC requires 'due imparitiality'. Two completely different things.

and as I have said, time and again, showing/represnting the 'other side' is not enough if the presenter let's it be known what side of the argument he/she personally sits (which is what both the people you mentioned above have done).

Last edited by philjit on 07-31-2003 at 02:30 AM

Old Post 07-31-2003 01:19 AM
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

quote:
Originally posted by euphorbia
Id like to see these "standards" though and see how the BBC by its own admissions has lived up to them.

ITC Codes and Guidance for Licensees

quote:

Due impartiality

The Broadcasting Act requires the ITC to do all that it can to secure 'that due impartiality is preserved on the part of the person providing the service as respects matters of political or industrial controversy or relating to current public policy'.

Under the Act, matters relating to current political issues, those of a current industrial relations nature, and current public policy which is subject to opposing points of view should be regarded as 'controversial'. The due impartiality requirement does not apply to every topic where differences of opinion may exist.

The term 'due' is significant; it should be interpreted as meaning adequate or appropriate to the nature of the subject and the type of programme. While the requirement of due impartiality applies to all areas of controversy covered by the Act, it does not mean that broadcasters have to be absolutely neutral on every controversial issue. And while broadcasters should deal even-handedly with opposing points of view in the arena of democratic debate, it does not mean that 'balance' is required in any simple mathematical sense or that equal time must be given to each opposing point of view.

Opinion should be clearly distinguished from fact. Judgement will always be called for. The requirement will also vary with the type of programme; the considerations applying to drama, for example, are different from those applying to current affairs programmes. Licensees transmitting to countries other than the UK should be aware that the due impartiality requirement applies to them no less than to licensees operating solely within the UK.

The provision that due impartiality must be preserved 'on the part of the person providing the service' is also significant. Subject to the safeguards contained in this Code, the provision allows for individual contributors to put forward what may be a personal or subjective view, or for such views to be reflected in a programme. It is for each licensee, acting through the executives who commission and schedule programmes, to ensure the service they provide deals fairly with matters of political or industrial controversy, or current public policy.

The BBC's license is not however governed by the ITC phorbie. The ITC only has a say in the licensing of commerically funded television in the UK. The BBC is not a commercial outlet and is not commercially funded.

edit: Phorbie, you said above (twice) that the BBC has admitted to not being impartial? Do you have a link to that admission? It's just I don't recall it but I may have been out of the country at the time.

Last edited by philjit on 07-31-2003 at 02:37 AM

Old Post 07-31-2003 01:24 AM
lube
<lube> wrong hole, kthnx.

As for a whole country banning a network, my money was always on FOX to be the first.
Pay up.

Old Post 07-31-2003 03:23 AM
lube is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lube Click here to Send lube a Private Message Find more posts by lube Add lube to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

we're not banning a network. We just "might be" revoking Fox's license to broadcast it's "news" service because it fails to adhere to the code of conduct regulations that govern commercial broadcasters. We still want the Simpson's you know.

Old Post 07-31-2003 03:25 AM
lube
<lube> wrong hole, kthnx.

Oh, i thought it was a "news" specific fox channel.

Old Post 07-31-2003 03:31 AM
lube is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lube Click here to Send lube a Private Message Find more posts by lube Add lube to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

well it is a channel but the rest of Fox's output, ie entertainment and stuff is not in question.... at leats not yet.

Old Post 07-31-2003 03:49 AM
billgerat
Hope-nosis

Shit, FOX News should be banned here in the US just on general principles.

Old Post 07-31-2003 06:13 AM
billgerat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billgerat Click here to Send billgerat a Private Message Find more posts by billgerat Add billgerat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

How can they ban a satellite broadcast? Do they just make selling decoders illegal, or selling subscriptions in the UK illegal (or remove the licenses to sell them), or what?

Old Post 07-31-2003 08:11 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

Fox, AFAIK, don't distribute their news channel themselves, they used carriers like Sky. If the ITC revoke the license then Sky can't carry Fox News without getting into hot water with the ITC.

Old Post 07-31-2003 09:10 AM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rodney
It's cold down here.

You lucky bastards. If only that crap would be taken off the television along with The View and any show about stupid pet tricks. Actually, take off almost any show that isn't a cartoon with the exception of a few and television wouldn't suck so much.

Old Post 07-31-2003 10:06 AM
rodney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rodney Click here to Send rodney a Private Message Find more posts by rodney Add rodney to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Weasel Spoor
"The Man"

We've already got one Murdoch driven news channel already (the god fucking awful Sky News) so Fox News can get bent.

How on earth anyone can compare the Beebs standards of impartiality to Fox's drivel? I dunno. I haven't watched enough Fox News obviously and must have missed all the quality journalism in between all the crass sensationalism and bright graphics (to explain missile strikes to the under 5s presumably)

I hate the ITC. Their guidelines for what makes rude and nasty viewing are so strict I spend half my week editing music videos.

Old Post 07-31-2003 10:45 AM
Weasel Spoor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Weasel Spoor Click here to Send Weasel Spoor a Private Message Find more posts by Weasel Spoor Add Weasel Spoor to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

I am unsure about this, to be honest. I mean, if there are special deals to being classified as a 'news service' then perhaps they could remove those rights from something that was viewed as being too much propaganda and not enough impartial news. I guess that the thing is that we don't have political advertising in the UK on television (although a regulated number of party political broadcasts are allowed, bizarrely); having seen it in the US, I don't think that is a bad thing. And even if you broadcast strong opinions from each side, that isn't impartial news coverage.

But still, I am uncertain that this is a good step, even though the victim here (Rupert Murdoch) is not a terribly sympathetic figure. On the other hand, I guess that if broadcasts are licensed (and they pretty much have to be) then conditions on that license are fair enough.

Old Post 07-31-2003 11:29 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

Fox has a segment called "Around the World in 80 Seconds." Its probably the best US cable news global news segment, and gives roughly 5 seconds to a story. It reminds me every day of how shitty Fox/MSNBC/CNN's news coverage is. The only thing they are really good for is breaking news.

I mean I think its shitty that a cop threw a punch at some kid too, but does it have to be the only thing on the news for three days? Gay high school in NYC??? Lets devote half of every show to it, and hopefully find the most uptight conservative and annoying homosexual 'spokesperson' to debate it over and over and over and over...

Old Post 07-31-2003 01:40 PM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by DevilMoon
Fox has a segment called "Around the World in 80 Seconds." Its probably the best US cable news global news segment, and gives roughly 5 seconds to a story. It reminds me every day of how shitty Fox/MSNBC/CNN's news coverage is. The only thing they are really good for is breaking news.

I mean I think its shitty that a cop threw a punch at some kid too, but does it have to be the only thing on the news for three days? Gay high school in NYC??? Lets devote half of every show to it, and hopefully find the most uptight conservative and annoying homosexual 'spokesperson' to debate it over and over and over and over...

so true.

Old Post 07-31-2003 02:53 PM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

If there is ever a cop thumping a black student of an all-gay school on a garage forecourt in Iraq, the news channels may just melt down.

Last edited by Smug Git on 07-31-2003 at 03:04 PM

Old Post 07-31-2003 02:58 PM
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
If there is ever a cop thumping a black student of an all-gay school on a garage forecourt in Iraq, the new channels may just melt down.

then we could get a cop, an african american, a student, a gay student, a garage attendant, an iraqi, a conservative and al sharpton to debate it! Media gold!

Old Post 07-31-2003 03:02 PM