The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Is it the apocalypse?
Did you get hit by the worm?
Yes, I crashed and burned.
No, my Windows machine was properly patched. I am a data fortress!
No, and my Windows machine wasn't patched--I just got lucky. Whew!
No, I use something other than Windows, and was thus immune. Ha ha!
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

Is it the apocalypse?

At about 3:30 today, I was suddenly unable to access chat. I was also cut off from most websites, except the Asylum and Yahoo.

Is this the work of this famous Windows worm that's been going around? I note that most folks' cam pages are also failing to load...have you all been attacked?

I feel so lonely, sitting here with my Mac...my working-perfectly, totally-unaffected, worm-free Mac...

Seriously, though, I hope all y'all are OK.

So did anyone get hit?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-12-2003 11:56 PM
Talarohk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Talarohk Click here to Send Talarohk a Private Message Visit Talarohk's homepage! Find more posts by Talarohk Add Talarohk to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

It just occurred to me that maybe it's the UCLA systems which were hit, preventing me from seeing y'all. Or maybe something unrelated. Oh well.

Old Post 08-13-2003 12:00 AM
Talarohk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Talarohk Click here to Send Talarohk a Private Message Visit Talarohk's homepage! Find more posts by Talarohk Add Talarohk to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

The fact that I can't access apple.com, who I presume are running on Macs, makes me conclude that it's UCLA, and not y'all, and that I am an idiot.

*eats crow with eyes downcast*

Old Post 08-13-2003 12:03 AM
buddha's penis
has it all

haha.
i'm ready to say that it is definitely the apocalypse.

Old Post 08-13-2003 12:26 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cw
cuntacular wench

Re: Is it the apocalypse?

quote:
Originally posted by Talarohk

I feel so lonely...
Seriously, though, I hope all y'all are OK.

So did anyone get hit?

/me pretends to crash and burn just for Tal

Attachment: ca0pm7ol.jpg
This has been downloaded 218 time(s).

Old Post 08-13-2003 12:48 AM
cw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cw Click here to Send cw a Private Message Visit cw's homepage! Find more posts by cw Add cw to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
karen
Lesser Satan

i was already patched.
cos I had nothing better to do.

Old Post 08-13-2003 02:45 AM
karen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for karen Click here to Send karen a Private Message Find more posts by karen Add karen to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buddha's penis
has it all

i didn't patch anything myself, but who knows what the crazy IT guys did. maybe we are immune behind the servers. i think i got an email about it, but did not read it.
i'll go do that now.

Old Post 08-13-2003 03:06 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mudflap
I.R. Jailer

That worm got me. It exploits port 135 and (in my case) would cause my machine to re-start after a minute or two or uptime. I got some help from mah homey and he told me what to do. I deleted msblast.exe from my registry editor, enabled my Norton firewall, and then downloaded and installed the patch. (from here) Now my machine is back to running like the finely tuned, outdated P.O.S. that it is.

Old Post 08-13-2003 03:59 AM
Mudflap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mudflap Click here to Send Mudflap a Private Message Find more posts by Mudflap Add Mudflap to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dead_Inside
Joey's Head Bitch

I was nailed. Formatted on Friday and hadnt gotten around to updating any Windows apps. Nortons was updated but didnt catch it until after the fact. Fixed now but my new HD is physically damaged anyway, so, oh well. Replace drive and start over again.

Old Post 08-13-2003 06:07 AM
Dead_Inside is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dead_Inside Click here to Send Dead_Inside a Private Message Find more posts by Dead_Inside Add Dead_Inside to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

how exactly is this shit passed on?

Old Post 08-13-2003 06:40 AM
mmmtravis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mmmtravis Click here to Send mmmtravis a Private Message Visit mmmtravis's homepage! Find more posts by mmmtravis Add mmmtravis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

Through the retarded policy of Microsoft to require RPC services for just about every system level fucntion, and in addition to that, getting RPC to bind automatically to all interfaces instead of just the loopback network device.

The worm gets in by exploiting a security flaw in RPC and getting your computer to download the trojan via tftp. If you have a local firewall on your machine, and you've blocked all incoming connections to 135, you're fine. I believe this also only affects Windows2k and up machines, with possibly NT4 also be affected. AFAIK, Win9x/ME *should* be OK.

Old Post 08-13-2003 07:36 AM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Patch available over at CNET

But, er, one question, how can you tell if you've got XP 32 bit or XP 64 bit ?????

Old Post 08-13-2003 07:56 AM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dreamengineer
Master of Dumbfuckery

the patch was actually available on windows update about 2 weeks ago
but using their supreme intellect the folks at microsoft thought Naaah no one will try that
pffffft bitches feel a bit silly now dont they!

Just do a search for files and folders for msblast.exe if its there your tagged, delete it and get patching
be warned the executable is capable of replication so a thorough virus scan is needed
check here

Last edited by Dreamengineer on 08-13-2003 at 02:46 PM

Old Post 08-13-2003 09:33 AM
Dreamengineer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dreamengineer Click here to Send Dreamengineer a Private Message Find more posts by Dreamengineer Add Dreamengineer to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roshigoth
The Cheesemeister

I got hit by it, but before I realized it might be a virus, I just reformatted my HD (since it's been over a year and I usually try to do it every 6 months), but since I've been having some hardware problems lately, it wouldn't boot anymore... Of course, I later looked at dad's computer and saw it do the exact same stuff I had had problems with, so I checked out some sites, found the patches, and got his fixed. So I appropriated Dad's computer while I wait to get my new system shipped to me. Yay.

Old Post 08-13-2003 02:43 PM
Roshigoth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roshigoth Click here to Send Roshigoth a Private Message Find more posts by Roshigoth Add Roshigoth to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

http://news.com.com/2009-1002_3-506...ag=fd_lede1_hed

quote:
The Web will be watching Saturday to see if Microsoft can dodge a denial-of-service attack expected to be launched by the worm.

quote:
Starting on Aug. 16, every computer infected with MBlast will start flooding Microsoft's Windows Update service with legitimate-looking connection requests. The denial-of-service attack could slow down, and even halt access to, the primary way Microsoft customers receive updates for their computers.

Last edited by Dingle on 08-13-2003 at 05:16 PM

Old Post 08-13-2003 05:12 PM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Fred has worms. I'm certain he got 'em eatin' that jackass's leftovers.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 08-13-2003 08:00 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cw
cuntacular wench

quote:
Originally posted by skalie
Patch available over at CNET

But, er, one question, how can you tell if you've got XP 32 bit or XP 64 bit ?????

When you reboot, on the first screen that comes up, on about line 3, it shows the bittiness. Also, both home and pro xp additions are listed on that CNET download page as 32 bit.
DIG MY COMMA'S!

edited to make the macker correction

Last edited by cw on 08-13-2003 at 11:45 PM

Old Post 08-13-2003 09:30 PM
cw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cw Click here to Send cw a Private Message Visit cw's homepage! Find more posts by cw Add cw to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pinecrika
Muffer's He-beast

Mine crashed, but it happened a week ago and had nothing to do with worms.

Old Post 08-13-2003 10:21 PM
Pinecrika is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pinecrika Click here to Send Pinecrika a Private Message Find more posts by Pinecrika Add Pinecrika to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

quote:
Originally posted by cw
...bit rate...

bittiness would be a better word, as the 32/64 bit refers to the addressable memory space and not the transfer rate.

Old Post 08-13-2003 10:48 PM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

That's still a bit of an oversimplification though.

Old Post 08-13-2003 10:48 PM
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

A friend of mine saw a presentation on Apple's 64-bit G5 processor. He said that it's actually two 32-bit integer and two 32-bit floating-point doowhatsits on the chip, so that it could execute 32-bit code natively (and very fast), or, by using both units, 64-bit code natively.
I am not well-versed in processor design, so I may have misunderstood. Any comments from the tech gods?

Old Post 08-13-2003 10:58 PM
RiZZ
awsomeness incarnit

quote:
Originally posted by Dingle
...The denial-of-service attack could slow down, and even halt access to, the primary way Microsoft customers receive updates for their computers.

maybe i want to be infectred

Old Post 08-14-2003 01:57 AM
RiZZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RiZZ Click here to Send RiZZ a Private Message Visit RiZZ's homepage! Find more posts by RiZZ Add RiZZ to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

quote:
Originally posted by Talarohk
A friend of mine saw a presentation on Apple's 64-bit G5 processor. He said that it's actually two 32-bit integer and two 32-bit floating-point doowhatsits on the chip, so that it could execute 32-bit code natively (and very fast), or, by using both units, 64-bit code natively.
I am not well-versed in processor design, so I may have misunderstood. Any comments from the tech gods?

While the G5 certainly has two integer and floating point units, both work at 64 bits. It's possible someone mentioned that the interger units both have 32 architected GPRs(general purpose registers) which may have caused some confusion, however the registers are all 64 bit.

I'm not entirely sure how G5 actually handles 32 bit stuff. AFAIK, unlike AMD's Hammer processors, it doesn't require a native 64 bit OS to actually use the 64 bit registers. Easiest solution that comes to mind is that internally the calculations are all done at 64 bits and then shifted down to 32 bits once the calculations are done, similar to how current x87 floating point calculations are done at 80 bit precision internally, but exposed as 64 bit values.

edit: although thinking about it, integer values aren't quite as friendly to this kind of downshifting as floating point values though. Maybe I'll go read up on it a bit later.

Last edited by macker on 08-14-2003 at 10:14 AM

Old Post 08-14-2003 10:11 AM
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Like the way you can run 16 gigs of ram with the 64bit version of XP.

Old Post 08-14-2003 10:24 AM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

Actually, you should be able to run with 282 terabytes of ram. The Hammer supports a 48 bit memory address space. And no, don't ask me why it's 48 bits and not 64 bits. I'm sure there's a good reason though, possibly to do with keeping it compatible with traditional 32 bit programs.

Besides, a 64 bit memory addresses would equal about 18 *million* terabytes of memory space. Which would be kinda overkill for todays applications.

Old Post 08-14-2003 10:52 AM