The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > All a board!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Peter_Torque
Grill Instructor

All a board!

All a board!

Gangway leading to world's largest cruise ship collapses, killing 15

(11-16) 02:20 PST ST. NAZAIRE, France (AP) --

Flags flew at half-staff in this industrial port city Sunday as it mourned the deaths of 15 people killed when a crowded gangway leading to the docked luxury ship Queen Mary 2 collapsed.

The accident Saturday at the world's largest and most expensive oceanliner initially claimed 13 lives, but two more people had died of their injuries by Sunday morning, officials in this city in western France said.

About 30 others were injured, with some hospitalized in serious condition, rescue officials said.

The gangway was installed Friday for a weekend visit by construction workers and their families of the nearly complete oceanliner before its maiden voyage planned for January.

As dozens of people crowded onto the gangway, the structure collapsed, pulling down scaffolding holding it up at one end, sending people plunging 50 feet to the ground. Bodies were entangled with the wreckage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this the other day in the Chronicle, and I've been resisting the temptation to start a thread with that title ever since, apprently without success.

I'm a bad person for even thinking shit like that. This deserves merciless taunting.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-19-2003 08:04 PM
Peter_Torque is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peter_Torque Click here to Send Peter_Torque a Private Message Find more posts by Peter_Torque Add Peter_Torque to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pinecrika
Muffer's He-beast

That's got to be the record of the most people "walking the plank" at once.

Yarrrrg mateys!

Old Post 11-19-2003 10:00 PM
Pinecrika is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pinecrika Click here to Send Pinecrika a Private Message Find more posts by Pinecrika Add Pinecrika to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

It's okay, they were French.

Old Post 11-19-2003 10:01 PM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ponyslayer
pissing in the gene pool

but did the gangway make it out ok?????

Old Post 11-19-2003 10:14 PM
ponyslayer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ponyslayer Click here to Send ponyslayer a Private Message Visit ponyslayer's homepage! Find more posts by ponyslayer Add ponyslayer to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lanin
Tennis Ball Retriever

Wow, that ship is fucking huge man.

From Yahoo News - The 150,000-tonne vessel -- which is 345 meters (1,140 feet) long, 41 meters wide and stands as high as a 23-story building -- will be able to accommodate some 2,600 passengers and 1,250 crew members.

Old Post 11-19-2003 10:37 PM
lanin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lanin Click here to Send lanin a Private Message Find more posts by lanin Add lanin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Re: All a board!

quote:
Originally posted by Peter_Torque
. . . This deserves merciless taunting.

Awww, hell. Why don't we jus' have sum Dickel 'n' pass the git fiddle 'round a spell?

Amen.

Old Post 11-19-2003 10:38 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

That's the last time they'll walk along that gangplank.

Old Post 11-19-2003 10:42 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pinecrika
Muffer's He-beast

They just don't build gangplanks like they used to. If the frenchies can't even build a proper gangplank, what makes them think they can build the biggest ship in the world. That vessel is fuckin' cursed, man. You wouldn't catch aboard that titanic.

Old Post 11-19-2003 11:03 PM
Pinecrika is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pinecrika Click here to Send Pinecrika a Private Message Find more posts by Pinecrika Add Pinecrika to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote