The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Polěticŕs der Mondé > Kruschevs shoe banging at the UN
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

Kruschevs shoe banging at the UN

So Ive got the full text of the speech he made but Id like to see a video of it if anyone knows where it may be...also, what was the context here? Why was he so angered on this particular day? What had been going on at the UN?? Tell me everything you know about it...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-24-2003 02:29 AM
3MTA3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3MTA3 Click here to Send 3MTA3 a Private Message Visit 3MTA3's homepage! Find more posts by 3MTA3 Add 3MTA3 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

This is not a trick by me to get you to post so I can then make fun of your age...in case thats why no one has posted...

Old Post 11-24-2003 07:57 AM
3MTA3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3MTA3 Click here to Send 3MTA3 a Private Message Visit 3MTA3's homepage! Find more posts by 3MTA3 Add 3MTA3 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

Finding a picture or footage will be tough. Why did it happen? Many possible reasons really and the only one that truly knew was Khrushchev himself. If you want to place it in context of when it happened to find the most likely reason, it was because of something that the head of the Philippines delegation said. The incident came straight after he spoke. The delegate's name was something Sumulong and he had just addressed the UN General Assembly where he asked why the Soviet Union seemed obssessed with "Western Imperialism" and yet was more than happy to swallow up as much of Eastern Europe as it could (the invasion of Hungary had recently occured as I recall). It was then that Khrushchev stood up, went ballistic at the Phillipino delegate and banged his shoe on his desk three times saying "Nyet, nyet, nyet", I believe he may also have called the delegate some disparaging and non-diplomatic names as well.

Does that answer your question?

p.s. I'm not old, I just studied Soviet Politics for three years.

Old Post 11-24-2003 08:26 AM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

Know anywhere I can read about the incident?? Im finding almost no account of it on the net...

Old Post 11-24-2003 09:00 AM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

According to an article by his grand-daughter (not at the New Statesman site but supposedly taken from there), he called Sumalong "a jerk, a stooge and a lackey of imperialism".

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0...1/article.jhtml

You appear to be spelling Khrushchev's name wrong (or, at least, not the way that his granddaughter spells it) which might explain a lack of googling success.

Old Post 11-24-2003 09:31 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

http://www.iht.com/articles/103353.html

It seems that not everyone is convinced that it actually happened at all (and the implication there is that there are no photographs of shoe banging, although the shoe was sitting on the desk).

Old Post 11-24-2003 09:44 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

I remember seeing an RKO Pathe newsreel in which he definitely pounded the desk with his shoe and I remem ber also a picture in Life magazine where he had the shoe in his hand. I have also heard a radio recording of him speaking and the sound of shoe thuds in the background. There is a famous "after picture" of him sitting at the desk with the shoe lying on the desk before him. I remember marking that it was not a very svelte shoe for a Prime Minister to be wearing. I am old.

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Old Post 11-24-2003 08:59 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

The people who were there and said that it didn't happen would say that the noise was when he hit his fist on the desk (and broke his watch) and then he took off his shoe and mimed that he would hit the desk with that next, as far as I could tell from googling. If there is newsreel of him actually hitting the table with it, though, that would obviously settle it.

Old Post 11-24-2003 09:01 PM
madlucas
tv casualty

all this reminds me of a story my grandfather told me about one of his trips to china .. I'm not sure exactly why he was there, but it involved selling shoes (I came to this conclusion based on the facts that my grandfather worked for a shoe company and he was in a meeting of some sort)

so my grandfather is sitting at a table with a few execs. types and there's a deal being made .. he claims that the chinese person he was dealing with was lying about something in the contracts while smiling at my grandfather in hopes to pass it off as truth. this upset my grandfather, so he removed one of his shoes and gave it his best overhand pitch at the man he was dealing with. I'm not sure what happened after that (my memory of the story is a bit clouded) but I do recall my grandfather relating a bit of advice he gained while he was there .. if you hit a man on a moped while driving in the streets, do not offer to help or you will be responsible for his family should he be unable to care for them himself.

now back to my point .. I've seen political types from the east bang their shoes on tables to express their distain for what ever is being discussed, and I've often wondered if my grandfather knew that particular symbolism and just took it to the next level or if he just felt the need to pitch his shoe at the other man’s head. either way, I would have loved to have been there to see the event unfold.

Bloodninja: Rhinoceruses don't play games. They fucking charge your ass.

Old Post 11-24-2003 09:27 PM
madlucas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for madlucas Click here to Send madlucas a Private Message Find more posts by madlucas Add madlucas to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

I once sat in a negotiation with Page Electronic Engineers in a little town in New Jersey where the Page representative got so torn up that he jumped up and kicked a a hole in the sheetrock wall in the conference room.

Old Post 11-24-2003 11:13 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I'm sure you had nothing to do with that.

Old Post 11-24-2003 11:52 PM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

Ok, well after some extensive research on my own...it turns out he did indeed bang his shoe(confirmed by multiple sources). He did also break his watch...

According to Krushchev himself, he was operating under the impression that the UN Gen. Assm. he was attenting functioned like a parliament where the minorities had to fight to be heard and that this 'fighting' was expected...from this, he brought his limited experience with the old Russian duma into it and basically the shoe pounding would have been acceptable in the duma. So he did what he thought was right...

As a side note, he marks the series of events beginning with the U-2 shoot down on Mayday, the Paris talks and the Allstar UN Gen. Assm. meeting as the beginning of his decline...he does not regret it though.

Thanks all!!

P.s. Krushcheves favorite word was 'shit'.

Old Post 11-25-2003 12:23 AM
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Presumably someone else ordered his meals.

Old Post 11-25-2003 02:06 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Okay, pernts.

Old Post 11-25-2003 02:31 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

Yes, that was funny...good show!

Old Post 11-25-2003 05:13 AM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Khrushchev once described the arts as 'dogshit'. Which goes to show that although he might have been a heartless steely-eyed communist pig, he wasn't always wrong.

Old Post 11-25-2003 08:58 AM
Weasel Spoor
"The Man"

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
Khrushchev once described the arts as 'dogshit'. Which goes to show that although he might have been a heartless steely-eyed communist pig, he wasn't always wrong.

If only if there was a critique from him of Star Wars eh?

(The movie, not Ronnie's loopy space weapon idea)

Old Post 11-25-2003 12:39 PM
Weasel Spoor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Weasel Spoor Click here to Send Weasel Spoor a Private Message Find more posts by Weasel Spoor Add Weasel Spoor to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Star Wars isn't good enough even to be 'arts' and by extension not up to the Khrushchev quality rating of 'dogshit'.

Old Post 11-25-2003 01:00 PM