The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > drawing pictures
did you understand it?
yes
no
but it wasnt proper english! *sips tea with pinky in air*
who is rumsfeld?
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

drawing pictures

its not something I like to do, but Ill do it now cause this is a bit over played. "The British Plain English Campaign" (probably and epileptic donkey dance of stupidity...but who am I to say/never heard of em...not big on pompous snobbery) just gave ole Rumsfeld a "foot in mouth" award for the phrase quoted below...though to be fair to them Ive seen idiots of shapes and sizes moaning because they dont understand it, made their tiny brain rattle...what ever...so let me draw a picture.

quote:
There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns,"

1) There are known knowns; there are things we know we know = they know that they do know certain things...some things they are sure they know, some things are clear, tangible and a matter of fact.

2) We also know there are known unknowns = they acknowledge that they dont know certain things...they know that they donít know them, those things are not clear, they are not known, not tangible, not a matter of known factÖand they know this. They are possibly things they want to know but are missing data...which is how they know they donít know themÖ

Now the merit of his statement, from what Iíve seen, hasnít been what has become an issue. What Iíve seen is masses of people touting it like it made no sense what so everÖlike he was speaking klingon (sp?) or something.

I think he said it very efficiently and it was clear to me, but like Ive said before, most people are stupid and you have to talk to them like they are children, like they are ignorant, like they dont know their asshole from their mouth...cause a lot of them donít.

and I say that with love.

Last edited by euphorbia on 12-02-2003 at 02:57 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-02-2003 02:51 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vegas
15 = micropenis

Rumsfeld is not nearly the doobie smoker GW is. Now that man needs something in his mouth to prevent his words of wisdom from flowing too freely.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Old Post 12-02-2003 03:04 AM
Vegas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas Click here to Send Vegas a Private Message Find more posts by Vegas Add Vegas to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Musashi
Fluffy Bunny

from here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...odd_rumsfeld_dc

quote:

"Reports that say something hasn't happened are interesting to me, because as we know, there are known unknowns; there things we know we know," Rumsfeld told the briefing.

"We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

makes a lot less sense when taken as a full quote

Old Post 12-02-2003 03:15 AM
Musashi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Musashi Click here to Send Musashi a Private Message Visit Musashi's homepage! Find more posts by Musashi Add Musashi to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by Musashi
from here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...odd_rumsfeld_dc

makes a lot less sense when taken as a full quote

good show.

and here is where I got my motivation for this thread: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3254852.stm

Old Post 12-02-2003 03:18 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Talking

Heh. I ran across that story ealier today and even thought about startin' a thread with it. I'm glad you did, though, 'cause you got tits.

Anyway, I read his quotes and I don't get what the hubub is all about. What Rummy said sounded very similar to something I studied years ago called the Johari Window.

So, yeah, he made sense t'me. Perhaps the media's just takin' a short breather from pokin' at President Bush. Fresh meat 'n' all that. So, carry on, Rummy, carry on.

Amen.

Old Post 12-02-2003 03:21 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

Psshh...thats simple game theory...how the fuck did they give those 2 douchebags credit??

Old Post 12-02-2003 03:36 AM
3MTA3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3MTA3 Click here to Send 3MTA3 a Private Message Visit 3MTA3's homepage! Find more posts by 3MTA3 Add 3MTA3 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billgerat
Hope-nosis

Let's not forget this runner-up pearl of wisdom:

"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman," - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Old Post 12-02-2003 03:36 AM
billgerat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billgerat Click here to Send billgerat a Private Message Find more posts by billgerat Add billgerat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by 3MTA3
Psshh...thats simple game theory...how the fuck did they give those 2 douchebags credit??

Probably 'cause they showed their tits.

Amen.

Old Post 12-02-2003 03:38 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billgerat
Hope-nosis

Old Post 12-02-2003 04:15 AM
billgerat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billgerat Click here to Send billgerat a Private Message Find more posts by billgerat Add billgerat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vegas
15 = micropenis

Johari window! Man, I think that I will be reminded of that thing until the day I die. I can never escape it.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Old Post 12-02-2003 04:16 AM
Vegas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas Click here to Send Vegas a Private Message Find more posts by Vegas Add Vegas to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Vegas
Johari window! Man, I think that I will be reminded of that thing until the day I die. I can never escape it.

Glad t'oblige, ol' pal. Here's a Dickel pernt fer yer stockin'.

Amen.

Old Post 12-02-2003 04:29 AM
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

I think that all Rummy does is talk in circles so that he can dodge answering those tough questions.

Old Post 12-02-2003 05:40 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cw
cuntacular wench

Re: drawing pictures

quote:
Originally posted by euphorbia
its not something I like to do, ... most people are stupid and you have to talk to them like they are children, like they are ignorant, like they dont know their asshole from their mouth...cause a lot of them donít.

and I say that with love.

Lame. [P]

Old Post 12-02-2003 06:04 AM
cw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cw Click here to Send cw a Private Message Visit cw's homepage! Find more posts by cw Add cw to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

euphorbia: Do you ever feel as if it's like they're talking to you in a very personal way?

No matter.

I thought it was mildly clear.

Old Post 12-02-2003 06:35 AM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

phorbs darling, that's a misquote. He actually said:

quote:
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know"

Audio

Your misquote is actually a condensed and more "plain english version" of the original quote (in fact your misquote would probably not have even won the award). However, the original quote did deserve the award as it mangled the english language and made something very simple (as you rightly pointed out) sound unecessarily more complicated than was needed.

The issue is not that it was not understandable. Nor was it that it was not correct English. It was that it was over convulated use of the english language.... something lawyers are very good at (sorry JEB).

Last edited by philjit on 12-02-2003 at 08:50 AM

Old Post 12-02-2003 08:21 AM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

Incidentally, the "epileptic donkey dance of stupidity" and "pompous snobs" at the British Plain English Campaign spend most of their time lobbying for changes in the Insurance sector to make policies more compact and easily digestable for consumers, rather than having polices written in legalise as they currently are.

Old Post 12-02-2003 08:45 AM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

The Plain English Campaign are not about snobbery, they are about using plain English (not overcomplicating expression for effect, which is probably more common with 'snobs' than 'plain English' is. If they are snobs, they are at least being snobbish about something worthwhile, which is to say, using English to communicate clearly').

Rumsfeld's quote was badly expressed, although the idea is fair enough. Seems like a fair comment from the Plain English campaign, although Rumsfeld himself has said stupider things (as I mentioned in Phil's duplicate thread, the one about 'he is in Afghanistan, he isn't in Afghanistan, or he's dead' wasn't even an interesting point, although it was clearly enough expressed, I guess, not to qualify).

Rmsfeld's quote actually sounds even worse when you hear him actually saying it, than it does when it is written down.

Politicians are probably the worst offenders for mangling clear English to avoid questions and create misleading effects (although I am not sure why Rumsfeld explained this so badly, unless it was just something that he hadn't thought clearly about explaining). What Rumsfeld was expressing was actually a good point (although not a terribly sophisticated one, or one with which most intelligent people will be unfamiliar).

Last edited by Smug Git on 12-02-2003 at 09:26 AM

Old Post 12-02-2003 08:54 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

Personally, I think Chris Patten's comment that "the British Conservative Party has committed political suicide and are now living to regret it" should have won.

Old Post 12-02-2003 09:04 AM
Vegas
15 = micropenis

This thread was cool until Phil arrived.

We need a sign that Phil has entered and taken over a thread, to warn people like me. What he writes is scary.

-m

Old Post 12-02-2003 12:34 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

The trophy

Past winners

Old Post 12-02-2003 01:32 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Azrael
The Advocate

I just saw the quote on the news and it made perfect sense to me. The news guy was playing up to the fact that the sentence was long and used big words. No wonder British youth think its cool to be a stupid fucktard.

Old Post 12-02-2003 01:39 PM
Azrael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Azrael Click here to Send Azrael a Private Message Find more posts by Azrael Add Azrael to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

I think that the problem with it relates to the clarity of using a word as a noun and also as the adjective to describe that word, and doing it again and again.

The idea behind it is interesting enough (about the difference between being aware of gaps in our knowledge as compared to being unaware of the gaps), although it is pretty obvious (so preumably the communiciation should be best aimed at less cerebral). The Plain English campaign is about clear use of English to communicate (awards that they gave for good use of English aren't as publicised as the footinmouth award, even though most of the awards that they give every year are positive, because the media prefer the funny sort of stories).

Old Post 12-02-2003 01:44 PM
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by Phil
Incidentally, the "epileptic donkey dance of stupidity" and "pompous snobs" at the British Plain English Campaign spend most of their time lobbying for changes in the Insurance sector to make policies more compact and easily digestable for consumers, rather than having polices written in legalise as they currently are.

Well having sat through a class for four hours today learning Virginia law, that is somewhat redeeming.

Old Post 12-02-2003 07:27 PM