The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Bush administration pays actors to pose as TV journalists promoting Medicare law
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
billgerat
Hope-nosis

Bush administration pays actors to pose as TV journalists promoting Medicare law

Dems attack videos promoting Medicare law
Bush administration pays actors to pose as TV journalists

--Monday, March 15, 2004 San Fransisco Chronicle
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington -- Congressional investigators are scrutinizing television segments in which the Bush administration paid people to pose as journalists praising the benefits of the new Medicare law, intended to help elderly Americans with the costs of their prescription medicines.

The videos, a hybrid of advertising and journalism, are intended for use in local television news programs.

Several of the videos include pictures of President Bush receiving a standing ovation from a crowd cheering as he signed the Medicare drug-benefit law on Dec. 8.

The materials were produced by the Department of Health and Human Services, but the source is not identified. Two videos end with the voice of a woman who says, "In Washington, I'm Karen Ryan reporting."

But the production company, Home Front Communications, said it had hired Ryan to read a script prepared by the government.

Another video, intended for Latino audiences, shows a Bush administration official being interviewed in Spanish by a man who identifies himself as a reporter named Alberto Garcia.

One television segment shows a pharmacist talking to an elderly customer at a drugstore counter. The pharmacist says the new law "helps you better afford your medications," and the customer says, "It sounds like a good idea." Indeed, the pharmacist says, "A very good idea."

The government also prepared scripts that can be used by news anchors introducing what the administration described as a made-for-television "story package."

In one script, the administration suggests that anchors use this language: "In December, President Bush signed into law the first-ever prescription drug benefit for people with Medicare.

"Since then, there have been a lot of questions about how the law will help older Americans and people with disabilities. Reporter Karen Ryan helps sort through the details."

The "reporter" then explains the benefits of the new law.

Lawyers from the General Accounting Office, an investigative arm of Congress, discovered the materials last month when they were investigating the use of federal money to pay for certain flyers and advertisements that publicize the Medicare law.

In a report to Congress last week, the lawyers said those flyers and advertisements were legal, despite "notable omissions and other weaknesses."

Administration officials said the television news segments were also a legal, effective way to educate beneficiaries.

Gary Kepplinger, deputy general counsel of the accounting office, said, "We are actively considering some follow-up work related to the materials we received from the Department of Health and Human Services."

One question is whether the government might mislead viewers by concealing the source of the Medicare videos, which have been broadcast by stations in Oklahoma, Louisiana and other states.

Federal law prohibits the use of federal money for "publicity or propaganda purposes" not authorized by Congress.

In the past, the General Accounting Office has found that federal agencies violated this restriction when they disseminated editorials and newspaper articles written by the government or its contractors, without identifying the source.

Kevin Keane, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services, said there was nothing nefarious about the television broadcast materials, which he said had been distributed to television stations across the country. Under federal law, he said, the government is required to inform beneficiaries about changes in Medicare.

"The use of video news releases is a common, routine practice in government and the private sector," Keane said. "Anyone who has questions about this practice needs to do some research on modern public information tools."

But Democrats disagreed. "These materials are even more disturbing than the Medicare flyer and advertisements," said Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J.

"The distribution of these videos is a covert attempt to manipulate the press," he said.

Lautenberg, Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and seven other members of Congress requested the original review by the accounting office.

Documents from the Medicare agency show why the administration is eager to advertise the benefits of the new law, on radio and television, in newspapers and on the Internet.

"Our consumer research has shown that beneficiaries are confused about the Medicare Modernization Act and uncertain about what it means for them," states one document from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

A recent Kaiser Family Foundation survey indicated that only a fraction of the U.S. seniors understood the law, and the more they learned about it, the less they liked it.

In addition to offering seniors and the disabled a limited drug benefit beginning in 2006, the law gives private insurance companies billions of dollars to lure beneficiaries away from traditional Medicare and into managed care.

"Video news releases" have been in use for more than a decade. Pharmaceutical companies have done particularly well with them, producing news- style health features about the afflictions their drugs are meant to cure.

Such videos have drawn criticism from some news media ethicists, who consider them to be at cross-purposes with journalism's mission to verify independently the claims of corporations and governments.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...MNGPG5KODH1.DTL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this really surprise anyone? Typical bushleague bullcrap.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-2004 01:29 AM
billgerat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billgerat Click here to Send billgerat a Private Message Find more posts by billgerat Add billgerat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sabine
Other

How shocking.

Old Post 03-16-2004 01:32 AM
Sabine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sabine Click here to Send Sabine a Private Message Find more posts by Sabine Add Sabine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Desmond02
\m/(>_<)\m/

cant say that im surprised one bit. just another example of how pretentious this presidential imposter in the white house really is. A vote against bush is not only a vote against tyranny, hegemony, death, destruction, pilfering, ect... but is also a vote against karl rove and the other political cronies bush who come up with shit like that

Old Post 03-16-2004 01:53 AM
Desmond02 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Desmond02 Click here to Send Desmond02 a Private Message Visit Desmond02's homepage! Find more posts by Desmond02 Add Desmond02 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

next you'll tell me those raisin bran commercials are using paste instead of milk.

what is this world coming to?

Old Post 03-16-2004 02:20 AM
mmmtravis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mmmtravis Click here to Send mmmtravis a Private Message Visit mmmtravis's homepage! Find more posts by mmmtravis Add mmmtravis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sabine
Other

shocking! shocking I say! pretty soon politics will be full of lies and dirtiness if Bush keeps this shocking shocking behavior up.

Old Post 03-16-2004 02:30 AM
Sabine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sabine Click here to Send Sabine a Private Message Find more posts by Sabine Add Sabine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

those republicans paid actors to act?! In commercials?
omg im forming a militia; its time to revolt against the government.

Old Post 03-16-2004 02:37 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sabine
Other

this makes me question advertising altogether.

does this mean I won't have hair like the girls on the Pantene commercials?

Old Post 03-16-2004 02:39 AM
euphorbia
caustic milk - hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by Sabine
this makes me question advertising altogether.

does this mean I won't have hair like the girls on the Pantene commercials?

pantene is for hair? Ive been rubbing it on my ass and tits.
no fucking wonder.

Im writing someone a nasty letter.

Old Post 03-16-2004 02:48 AM
euphorbia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for euphorbia Click here to Send euphorbia a Private Message Visit euphorbia's homepage! Find more posts by euphorbia Add euphorbia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

yes, let's all twist the implications and mock them now.

wooooh.

from what i take away from it, the 'advertisements' are set up to look like they're made from actual news footage. you know...like, real. and stuff.

however, since discovering that fox has a writing and scripting team for all of their reality shows, i have learned my lesson about this so called 'reality' thing. i've written it off. none of you exist. you are simply the imaginings of several little script monkeys typing away in a boardroom somewhere in order to alleviate my frustration with my life. your main job is to keep my inquiries and dissatisfactions in this forum, instead of taking them out into the so called 'real' world, where i could upset the delicate balance of this carefully crafted society.

welcome to the matrix, morgana.

and you all wondered why i type in lime font.

*passes out*

Old Post 03-16-2004 03:27 AM
morgana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgana Click here to Send morgana a Private Message Visit morgana's homepage! Find more posts by morgana Add morgana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bunkum
Sanditon

Can we get a close-up on your face while you talk on the phone to your mom whilst hiding in the bathroom, morg? I think the viewers would love it!

--pervscan.com

Old Post 03-16-2004 03:31 AM
bunkum is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bunkum Click here to Send bunkum a Private Message Find more posts by bunkum Add bunkum to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

*waves at the camera*

don't mind the smell.

*sprays lysol*

Old Post 03-16-2004 03:38 AM
morgana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgana Click here to Send morgana a Private Message Visit morgana's homepage! Find more posts by morgana Add morgana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

morgana, for god's sake, woman, you can't smell anything over tv. I don't care what they said in the 60s about smellovision. It never happened. What do we have to do to get you to remember, shake it into you?

Sheesh.

Old Post 03-16-2004 03:40 AM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

i was talking to the big hairy guy with the camera, sphinx. sheesh.

*farts*

Old Post 03-16-2004 03:42 AM
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

man with camera...

riiiigggghhhhht.

In other news, thanks to our good friend mmmtravis, I've been researching the fabulous career of Professional Food Stylist for about 15 minutes or so.

I found a lovely recipe for non-melting ice cream.

Old Post 03-16-2004 03:49 AM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter_Torque
Grill Instructor

quote:
Originally posted by Desmond02
... karl rove and the other political cronies bush who come up with shit like that

Attachment: hot-karl.jpg
This has been downloaded 110 time(s).

Old Post 03-16-2004 04:11 AM
Peter_Torque is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peter_Torque Click here to Send Peter_Torque a Private Message Find more posts by Peter_Torque Add Peter_Torque to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Desmond02
\m/(>_<)\m/

hehehe, i dont give a fuck. when im violently sodomizing members of the bush white house in my own personal form of reprisal against all of the evil and wrong that they have done to the world and america, ill pull out all the stops. rustry trombone, the houdini, dirty sanchez, cleveland steamer, hot karl, the screaming dragon, it doesnt matter...ill fuckin do eet!!!

Old Post 03-16-2004 04:42 AM
Desmond02 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Desmond02 Click here to Send Desmond02 a Private Message Visit Desmond02's homepage! Find more posts by Desmond02 Add Desmond02 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

quote:
Originally posted by euphorbia
those republicans paid actors to act?! In commercials?
omg im forming a militia; its time to revolt against the government.

The problem isn't with the ad but how the ad is presented.

Old Post 03-16-2004 06:23 PM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

It isn't supposed to be a political ad, though, is it? It is paid for by the taxpayer, and yet (it appears) to present the Bush-driven schemes as a great thing, apparently as assessed by a journalist (where there is at least some expectation of neutrality). Fucking sucks.

Old Post 03-16-2004 06:40 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliffie
Adorable Pussycat

Well, why should Bush be any different from his literal and political forbears? He's learned from the successes of george the First and the Gipper -- and the disaster that befell Clinton -- that media image is everything.

You take my job. Sales reps come and rattle on to my boss about the glories of this or that new drug, and he just believes it, and then he's giving it out like Skittles to anyone to asks. He forgets they are sales reps. It's come out recently that a lot of those so-called research findings about the safety and efficacy of the new drugs came directly out of the keesters of ad copywriters, but does he care?

Old Post 03-16-2004 06:50 PM
Cliffie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliffie Click here to Send Cliffie a Private Message Visit Cliffie's homepage! Find more posts by Cliffie Add Cliffie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zim
-

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
It isn't supposed to be a political ad, though, is it? It is paid for by the taxpayer, and yet (it appears) to present the Bush-driven schemes as a great thing, apparently as assessed by a journalist (where there is at least some expectation of neutrality). Fucking sucks.
paid for by the taxpayer?

Last edited by CHiPsJr on 11-09-2006 at 08:23 AM

Old Post 03-16-2004 06:51 PM
zim is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zim Click here to Send zim a Private Message Find more posts by zim Add zim to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zim
-

quote:
Originally posted by Cliffie
Well, why should Bush be any different from his literal and political forbears? He's learned from the successes of george the First and the Gipper -- and the disaster that befell Clinton -- that media image is everything.

You take my job. Sales reps come and rattle on to my boss about the glories of this or that new drug, and he just believes it, and then he's giving it out like Skittles to anyone to asks. He forgets they are sales reps. It's come out recently that a lot of those so-called research findings about the safety and efficacy of the new drugs came directly out of the keesters of ad copywriters, but does he care?

where is it that you work? and what drugs are you refering to?

Old Post 03-16-2004 06:52 PM
zim is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zim Click here to Send zim a Private Message Find more posts by zim Add zim to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliffie
Adorable Pussycat

I'm a headshrinker who works for a psychiatrist. I refer to all those drugs you are suddenly seeing advertised on TV. Not to mention dozens of others.

Old Post 03-16-2004 06:57 PM
Cliffie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliffie Click here to Send Cliffie a Private Message Visit Cliffie's homepage! Find more posts by Cliffie Add Cliffie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zim
-

good thing im sane.
hah

Old Post 03-16-2004 06:58 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by ZiM
paid for by the taxpayer?

It is government (rather than GOP) dough that pays for these particular ads, isn't it? They were produced by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Old Post 03-16-2004 07:07 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Azrael
The Advocate

Sanity is overrated.

Old Post 03-16-2004 07:08 PM
Azrael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Azrael Click here to Send Azrael a Private Message Find more posts by Azrael Add Azrael to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote