The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Sensory Overload > What book did you just finish reading?
Pages (19): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
King Jensen
Daret Gane

What book did you just finish reading?

I just finished reading The Talisman.

Without telling too much about the story, I can say that it's about a 12 year old boy going on an unusual fantastic journey to get to the thing that will save his mother from dying.

It was very slow during the first pages and about a third into it, but I forced myself to keep reading, and I am glad I did.

When I finally turned the last page I felt a little sad as my journey with this book was over (until the day I take it down from the shelves again).

If you get this book, please give it a chance - you won't regret it.

I'm now passing the time until Dark Tower book 6 comes out (June 8th) with Karate-Do, My way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi. He wrote this just before his death in the fifties at the age of 90.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-06-2004 06:49 PM
King Jensen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for King Jensen Find more posts by King Jensen Add King Jensen to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MstrG
The Talamasca

bumping up to the BOOK forum

Old Post 04-06-2004 06:50 PM
MstrG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MstrG Click here to Send MstrG a Private Message Visit MstrG's homepage! Find more posts by MstrG Add MstrG to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
King Jensen
Daret Gane

Sorry, didn't realize there was a book forum (plus an already started thread like this)...

Old Post 04-06-2004 06:53 PM
King Jensen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for King Jensen Find more posts by King Jensen Add King Jensen to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melesse
The Nephilim

Just finished another King Book, the Dark Tower Book Five. It's back, I now love that series. I always liked it, but this one was so much better.

Melesse

Old Post 04-06-2004 09:34 PM
Melesse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melesse Click here to Send Melesse a Private Message Find more posts by Melesse Add Melesse to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

i loved the talisman, and the sequel, "black house" is a wonderful story as well.

if you liked that story, you'd probably love king's dark tower series, as melesse already mentioned. i'm actually re-reading the series right now. halfway through "wizard and glass".

Old Post 04-07-2004 03:08 AM
morgana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgana Click here to Send morgana a Private Message Visit morgana's homepage! Find more posts by morgana Add morgana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
karen
Lesser Satan

neverwhere- neil gaiman

been meaning to read this for a while.
quite good.

Old Post 04-07-2004 03:18 AM
karen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for karen Click here to Send karen a Private Message Find more posts by karen Add karen to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
King Jensen
Daret Gane

You're absolutely correct. King's OPUS (as he calls his Dark Tower series) is finally done, and the 6th book will be out on 6/8 and the 7th book will be out on 9/21. Wouldn't it be cool if Peter Jackson took on The Dark Tower and made ???-ology of movies in the same quality as Lord of the Rings?

Old Post 04-07-2004 03:35 PM
morgana
THE Bitch

neverwhere is awesome. gaiman is my favorite writer. king is a very close second.

jensen- mmm...no. i just...don't want to have someone tell me what the gunslinger should look like. i have an idear in my head, and i like it that way. besides, as much as i love the LOTR movies, they're not the books. the gunslinger series, as we're finding out, is about all stories, all tales. twould cheapen them to make a movie out of them. i hope to god king never sells the rights.

Old Post 04-08-2004 04:29 AM
morgana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgana Click here to Send morgana a Private Message Visit morgana's homepage! Find more posts by morgana Add morgana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

quote:
Originally posted by morgana
i hope to god king never sells the rights.

Worse yet, he'd be more likely to keep the rights and produce the movies himself, which he tends to do for his better work. Which is a shame, as King has a TERRIBLE eye for cinema. The ONLY time that King's work ever turns out into decent movies is when he is strictly forbidden to have anything to do with it. The second he's allowed any measure of creative control, he fucks it up immeasurably.

If I were a fan of the Talisman (I thought it was okay but not his best), I'd be hoping he DOES sell the rights.

Old Post 04-08-2004 04:36 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

i was referring to the tower series. but i agree- king is a fan of cinema, but his best productions are just mediocre.

Old Post 04-08-2004 04:48 AM
King Jensen
Daret Gane

You're right. There have been good King movies but there certainly have also been some bad ones. As for what they look like in your head vs the director's head is one of those side effects with all movies based on books. Personally I hated the fact that they had chosen Margot Kidder (I believe her name is) as Lois Lane in the Superman movies. She's NOT my type of beautyful woman AT ALL!!!

Old Post 04-08-2004 03:25 PM
King Jensen
Daret Gane

BTW, one thing that I've been wondering about is how it works when two guys sits down and write a book together like King and Straub did on The Talisman and The Black House. I don't think they took turns writing because the flow seems pretty much the same, so do you think they just talked about it (maybe even over the phone) and then one guy (probably King) wrote it all?

Old Post 04-08-2004 03:30 PM
MstrG
The Talamasca

The former is how it happened, as I recall. They were on opposite coasts, banging out alternating chapters on their word processors (I think King said he used an Apple computer, not sure if it was a Mac), and sending them to each other. Saw King talk about this long ago in an interview.

Last edited by MstrG on 04-08-2004 at 09:23 PM

Old Post 04-08-2004 03:33 PM
MstrG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MstrG Click here to Send MstrG a Private Message Visit MstrG's homepage! Find more posts by MstrG Add MstrG to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

interesting anecdote.

mogana, fuck off. you don't have to go see the movies now do you? jesus, like anyone cares about your defiled innoncence. a bad movie is still a preferable as an option to waste a day than is no movie at all. the exception, ironically enough, being neverwhere. that bbc mini cheated me out of a few precious hours. i want them back. if anyone [well, at least anyone but King himself, as paint already mentioned] were to put the series onto film, it wouldnt have to be nearly as good as the book for it to be entertaining.

Old Post 04-08-2004 03:52 PM
mmmtravis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mmmtravis Click here to Send mmmtravis a Private Message Visit mmmtravis's homepage! Find more posts by mmmtravis Add mmmtravis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
King Jensen
Daret Gane

Hmm, Interesting...

The Talisman - The Movie

Old Post 04-08-2004 03:52 PM
King Jensen
Daret Gane

You were right MstrG:

From an interview with Straub:

Did the Internet and electronic media make the collaboration of Black House easier?

Straub: Yeah, that's right. Though we had one of the first modems in the early '80s. The modems were big machines with telephones on top of them. You had to dial the number, we didn't have hard disks then. The floppys were like 78 records. This was before Windows, so you had to punch in a certain DOS code. Then you could hear your computer make these digesting sounds. Grumble, click, growl. It went on for half an hour while it sent a hundred pages.

When I got the pages from Steve [King] I could see them come onto the empty floppy. Line by line down the page of my monitor. They scrolled by past, but you could still read them.

There were all sorts of glitches in codes. He was using a Wang and I was using an IBM. They had different codes for italics, for bold, all that kind of thing. Even for paragraphing. We had to figure out little symbols to use in place of the ordinary symbols and inform the machine that those symbols were codes: italic, indent, etc.

After I wrote the whole thing, I'd then do a global search and replace for italic, quotation marks. And Steve would do a reverse global replace.

This time around, of course, it was much, much easier. It took seconds to send 100 pages through the Internet. It is vastly more convenient.

Old Post 04-08-2004 04:01 PM
tempt
cherries!

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest--I had to read it for an english class...

Old Post 04-08-2004 05:06 PM
tempt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tempt Click here to Send tempt a Private Message Visit tempt's homepage! Find more posts by tempt Add tempt to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sabine
Other

go away.

Old Post 04-08-2004 07:11 PM
Sabine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sabine Click here to Send Sabine a Private Message Find more posts by Sabine Add Sabine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goatboy
the anticlimax

But I liked One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Old Post 04-08-2004 07:44 PM
Goatboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goatboy Click here to Send Goatboy a Private Message Find more posts by Goatboy Add Goatboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sabine
Other

but do you like spinning candy?

and it just had to read that for english class.

how do you still have more points? I used all mine up on you. ass.

Old Post 04-08-2004 08:07 PM
Sabine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sabine Click here to Send Sabine a Private Message Find more posts by Sabine Add Sabine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goatboy
the anticlimax

I only post to garner and gift you with my little missives of Unicorn Love.

Old Post 04-08-2004 08:12 PM
Goatboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goatboy Click here to Send Goatboy a Private Message Find more posts by Goatboy Add Goatboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

I enjoyed it a fair bit.

Old Post 04-08-2004 08:50 PM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliffie
Adorable Pussycat

Consider The Oyster by MFK Fisher. I couldn't put it down!

Old Post 04-09-2004 05:32 AM
Cliffie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliffie Click here to Send Cliffie a Private Message Visit Cliffie's homepage! Find more posts by Cliffie Add Cliffie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sabine
Other

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine
Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Old Post 04-10-2004 12:31 AM
Sabine
Other

and you should post more Cliffie.

Old Post 04-10-2004 12:32 AM