The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Detroit, touchier than Rosa Parks
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

Detroit, touchier than Rosa Parks

You might have heard that nine people were shot last night following the Detroit-Windsor International Freedom Festival fireworks. The Freedom Festival features a carnival in Windsor (I am not sure what goes on on the Detroit side, I have only gone to it in Canada) and then a large fireworks display launched from barges in the Detroit River. I always thought that the fireworks were between Canada Day and July 4th as a way to celebrate both countries, but it seems not, as Canada Day is July 1. Some sort of altercation broke out in the crowd and a man started shooting people. Some stories have suggested it was over a woman, someone trying to steal Cartier glasses, or the gunman being accidentally jostled or knocked over. Prior to the shooting there was a fight that broke out in another area involving up to 200 people, according to police.

In any case during the NBA Finals Jimmy Kimmel joked, "I have nothing really to say. I'm glad the Lakers are winning (at the half) because besides the fact that I'm a Lakers fan, I realize they're gonna burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win, and it's not worth it." Later he apologized and said "What I said about Pistons fans during halftime was a joke, nothing more. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry. Clearly, over the past 10 years, we in L.A. have taken a commanding lead in post-game riots. If the Lakers win, I plan to overturn my own car." The Kimmel thing was all over the news because it seems nobody here can take a joke. The news director of WXYT (the local ABC affiliate that airs Kimmel's show) even said that his apology wasn't enough. WXYT executives complained that Kimmel's next show contained more "anti-Detroit" comments and ABC actually took the rare step of pulling the show. Kimmel then had to issue a statement to get back on the air, "When you're 2,000 miles away from a city you've never lived in, it's hard to understand the sadness people feel from something that happened in their town _ even if it happened many years ago. It was never my intention to cause anyone pain. I was trying to make a joke and I'm sorry it resulted in anything other than laughter."

People here really need to lighten up and realize Jimmy Kimmel is funny.

Nearly every night during the finals there was a news story decrying Kimmel. During the (violence-free) Pistons victory parade there were snide remarks about Kimmel from news anchors.

quote:
WXYZ-TV wonders what Kimmel will say about incident

Thursday, June 24, 2004

BY JOHN SMYNTEK
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday's fireworks shootings spurred ABC-TV affiliate WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) to query the network Thursday -- even before the show's comedy writers convened to write the opening monologue -- if ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live'' show would include jokes about the incident.

Kimmel had an episode of his rough'n'ready, male-oriented late night show pulled locally and nationally during the recent NBA playoffs after he suggested Detroit might erupt in violence if the Pistons won the NBA title. He apologized after the show -- the contents of which have never been revealed -- went unseen and eventually made amends by wearing a Pistons jersey and Tigers cap on a subsequent telecast.

WXYZ programmer Marla Drutz said the decision to air Kimmel would be based on whether any Detroit-related commentary is deemed offensive by station officials. She conceded it was unlikely that WXYZ could exert enough pressure to yank Kimmel's show nationally a second time. Such a decision could come as late as just prior to the 12:05 a.m. telecast.

An ABC spokeswoman in Los Angeles had no comment about any attempt to keep Kimmel from commenting on Detroit. She conceded, though, that any affiliate can decide not to air a specific episode.

This sucks though:

quote:
Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick spoke to Local 4 before the incident and said that representatives from the National Football League were in Detroit in preparations for the Super Bowl coming to the city in 2006.

Kilpatrick spoke from the Manoogian Mansion Thursday morning about the shooting, stressing that he does not believe the incident will tarnish Detroit's reputation.

"This is not who we are. This is who he is," Kilpatrick said about the gunman.

He said he does not believe the NFL representatives will change their minds about having the Super Bowl in Detroit.

"They are absolutely positive. Couldn't believe the display last night," Kilpatrick said about the NFL representatives. "Just thrilled with seeing that many people downtown."

The 15 NFL representatives did not witness the shooting, but Kilpatrick said they were compassionate to him about what happened in the city.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-25-2004 01:08 AM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

Detroit's Hip-Hop Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Show some respect.

Old Post 06-25-2004 03:28 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

They interviewed a shooting victim's relative on TV... named DuRhon.

Now that's Hip-Hop.

Old Post 06-25-2004 03:32 AM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

That thing during the fireworks sounds like it was pretty crazy though. I guess it was over a pair of sunglasses and/or a woman or something, and dude just busted out a gun, capped 9 people, and left. That's committment. The Columbine guys got what, 13, and that was two of them with bombs and automatic rifles and shit. Did they catch the guy?

NB: I was just talking to a guy from that area who lives around here, he had been considering that day hopping on his bike and going down there, and says he always stands under that statue during the fireworks, so he was glad he wasn't there for it.

Old Post 06-25-2004 03:37 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

No, but one report said Police wanted to know if anyone saw an african-american male in a black shirt. So, you know, it sounds like they are hot on the trail.

Old Post 06-25-2004 03:43 AM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Kimmel is pretty funny. Best thing on late-night TV on the channels that I get, anyhow.

Old Post 06-25-2004 05:01 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

quote:
Originally posted by DevilMoon
No, but one report said Police wanted to know if anyone saw an african-american male in a black shirt. So, you know, it sounds like they are hot on the trail.

Man, I hope they don't go to Chi Town and ask if anyone has seen any Asians.

Old Post 06-25-2004 06:45 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nymbus
incognito

quote:
Originally posted by Paint CHiPs
Detroit's Hip-Hop Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Show some respect.

Isn't that the guy who lost the Aprentice? Man, Mayor of Detroit is a pretty good runner-up prize.

Old Post 06-25-2004 03:17 PM
nymbus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nymbus Click here to Send nymbus a Private Message Find more posts by nymbus Add nymbus to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote