The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Polėticās der Mondé > on the government's spending habits
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
squee
the amen break

on the government's spending habits

I read somewhere today that Americans spent around 5 billion at the movie theaters this year.

Yet those same of my friends who bemoand the exorbitant expense of the war on terror (6 billion, wasn't it?) attended a new movie every couple of weeks.

For some reason I find this to be slightly absurd.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-10-2004 02:21 AM
squee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squee Click here to Send squee a Private Message Find more posts by squee Add squee to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

Why?

Old Post 09-10-2004 02:29 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

Yea! The war costs a billion dollars more!
And we only have CNN to watch it.
Were getting ripped!

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 09-10-2004 02:40 AM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs

p.s. you're not even in the BALLPARK on the costs, btw. Iraq I think is up to about the 200 billion dollar range, itself.

Old Post 09-10-2004 03:03 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MstrG
The Talamasca

damn that "Iraq" != "War on Terror" thing

Old Post 09-10-2004 03:07 AM
MstrG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MstrG Click here to Send MstrG a Private Message Visit MstrG's homepage! Find more posts by MstrG Add MstrG to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Has Bush not claimed that Iraq is part of the 'War on terror', though (I think that is a mistake, myself)?

How is the cost of the 'war on terror' calculated? Afghanistan, I guess, plus aid to Pakistan, etc. Homeland security spending? I've no idea and, as MstrG alludes to, there will be disagreement between the administration and some others as to what expenses actually do belong in the 'war on terror' column.

Old Post 09-10-2004 03:12 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MstrG
The Talamasca

In political terms, the Republicans benefit from the blending of the two (since Bush scores so much higher on his ability to fight the war on terror, while Iraq is looked on less favorably). It has been the Democrats' strategy to keep them as separate as possible, until the unfortunate speech made by Kerry a few days ago (see my sig).

Old Post 09-10-2004 03:16 AM
MstrG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MstrG Click here to Send MstrG a Private Message Visit MstrG's homepage! Find more posts by MstrG Add MstrG to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs

quote:
Originally posted by MstrG
damn that "Iraq" != "War on Terror" thing

That was the only real cost that was much disputed (i.e. nobody said, that I recall, "we're spending way too much on Homeland Security and the War in Afghanastan!"), and since it's ENDLESSLY being equated with the War on Terror, that's what I assumed squee was referring to. I have no idea though. I suppose I could just ask him.

It's still a moronic comparison, but I don't know what 6 billion squee's referring to.

Old Post 09-10-2004 03:18 AM
zim
-

You dont see a difference between voluntarily paying money to see a movie and being forced to pay money to fund a war you dont want which you think is harmful to the nation and perhaps the world?

Last edited by CHiPsJr on 11-09-2006 at 08:23 AM

Old Post 09-10-2004 04:36 AM
zim is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zim Click here to Send zim a Private Message Find more posts by zim Add zim to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

quote:
Originally posted by mkomitee
You dont see a difference between voluntarily paying money to see a movie and being forced to pay money to fund a war you dont want which you think is harmful to the nation and perhaps the world?

Not paying your cable bill and getting your CNN pulled.That would be real harmful.

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 09-10-2004 04:46 AM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

squee, I understand your point exactly.

Old Post 09-10-2004 04:50 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thimbles worth of opinion
Symetrically challenged

Iraq has never equalled the war on terror?
Then what the fuck are we doing there then?
(I am sooo out of the loop. One second they're terrorists, next second they're insurgents, second after that they're enemy combatants, now they're... Aw fuck. Just can't keep track no more.)

Old Post 09-10-2004 10:55 AM
Thimbles worth of opinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thimbles worth of opinion Click here to Send Thimbles worth of opinion a Private Message Find more posts by Thimbles worth of opinion Add Thimbles worth of opinion to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote